Georgetown vs. Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Georgetown vs. Texas

Postby 3547274240 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I posted this same topic a few months ago, but I have more information now (and still no clue what I'm going to do). Here are the facts:

-I have in-state tuition at Texas and a scholarship on top of that, so after factoring in how I plan to pay for it, I will accumulate about 87K worth of loans, which will end up being about 97K worth of debt upon graduation
-I have no scholarship at Georgetown, but I do have a decent amount of need-based aid, so after factoring in how I plan to pay for it, I will accumulate about 161K worth of loans, which will end up being about 185K worth of debt upon graduation
-I grew up in NJ, currently go to school in PA, and would heavily prefer to end up working in the northeast (NYC, DC, Philly, Boston); I wouldn't have a problem going to school in Texas for 3 years, but would really like to avoid ending up living there
-I have visited both schools: I like the living situation more at GULC (small campus, on-campus first year, proximity to campus after that); Austin was pretty cool and the weather is nice, but those aren't things that I weigh very heavily
-I'm dead set on Big Law
-as far as how debt averse I am: it depends on the day; sometimes I say to myself that I'll take the chance because I know I will do well and get a high paying job; other days I say to myself that it might be a better idea to avoid that just in case I don't do well; this is essentially the root of my problem

So basically, I would feel more comfortable at GULC and it would give me a better chance to work where I want, but is it worth 90K more in debt when there is still a chance that I could go to UT and still end up with the kind of job I want in one of the places I want? To me, Georgetown would be the gut decision and the confident one, whereas UT would be the safer option that carries less risk but also less chance of maximum reward.

I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

*I'm also on "hold" at Columbia, and I find out by 4/22 if I am accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. Would I be correct in thinking that if I get in at Columbia, it would be a no-brainer to accept?

Lawquacious

Re: Georgetown vs. Texas

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, no-brainer to accept Columbia. And Georgetown over Texas given your preference for east coast, even where it is going to be somewhat more expensive.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 pm

In your case I would go to Georgetown.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Write Columbia a LOCI and add at the end that Columbia is your top choice school and you will attend if you are accepted. Columbia is by far the no-brainer for what you want.

I don't think GULC is worth 90k more than UT for working in the northeast. But I really don't know what class rank you would need to be though to be competitive for the northeast from either UT or GULC though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”