UVA vs. Penn vs. NYU vs. GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

NYU (sticker)
7%
Penn ($60,000)
25%
UVA ($105,000)
60%
GULC ($90,000, expires April 7th)
7%

Total votes: 83

c_dubya_s

Silver

UVA vs. Penn vs. NYU vs. GULC

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 pm

So I keep going back and forth on my law school decision, which means it's definitely time for TLS to weigh in. Here are the choices:

Major Factors:
--Career: would like opportunity to do BigLaw (probably law and business-related, possibly M&A or antitrust) in either NYC or DC, although I may want to move out west later in life (nationally portable degree would be a plus). Between NYC and DC, DC placement is more important to me, as I have significant family connections here and will definitely work here at some point. I have a very good network of legal contacts in DC, but none anywhere else.
--Location: from DC, so I like city life (although I'm not opposed to living outside a city as long as there's enough to do). I want to stay on the East Coast, as my SO will probably be working in DC. However, she could get transferred to NYC at any time during law school, so a location with accessibility to both places would be ideal. (We will probably be together long-term, which is why she's factoring in to the decision). I would like to be able to visit her 2x a month, ideally.
--Finances: somewhat debt averse, although I'm willing to take on loans if I believe it's worth it. I have a small amount of undergraduate debt (federal loans) that can be suspended while I'm in law school. I will be paying for law school on my own, because my parents were already amazing enough to pay for undergrad (read: loans).

Schools:

1) NYU (sticker)
--Career: places well in NYC, but I'm not sold on their focus in BigLaw/law and business.
--Location: I really like Greenwich village, but it would make getting back to DC more difficult than being at Penn/UVA.
--Finances: Ummm...sticker. Not cool. The main reason I'm 99.5% sure I'm not going there.

2) Penn ($60,000 total aid)
--Career: places very well in both DC and NY, although it seems to place better in NY than DC. Availability of the Wharton school is also a plus.
--Location: I actually really liked Philly during ASW (although I did like Center City better than the area right around Penn). The location between NYC and DC is also a huge plus, as I could easily visit my SO regardless of whether she's working in DC or NYC.
--Finances: I have a negotiation email in with the Penn Fin Aid folks, but I doubt they'll match UVA. Because Penn and UVA are pretty equal in a lot of other areas, this is the major difference between the two (and the reason why I'm leaning towards UVA).

3) UVA ($105,000 total aid)
--Career: Very, very impressed with the Career Services panel at the ASW. I'm also well connected with several UVA Law alums, which could potentially help my job prospects. Placement for my interests seems as good or better than Penn, and the Law and Business program is definitely something I'm interested in.
--Location: I really liked Charlottesville, which is freaking gorgeous. I'd prefer a city, to be honest, but Charlottesville seems to have plenty of things going on. The cons: Not as many buses/trains between DC and Charlottesville as there are between DC and Philly (making it harder to visit my SO), and it would be very hard to visit her if she shifted up to NYC. Also worth noting that I would get a car if I went to UVA, to make transportation/visiting easier.
--Finances: $105,000 is an awesome amount of money, and really hard to turn down. Combine that with awesome career prospects and a pretty great location, and UVA's my top choice over Penn at the moment.

4) GULC ($90,000 total aid, expires April 7)
--Career: GULC doesn't seem too interested in law and business, and their Biglaw placement isn't that great either. The one big factor that's preventing me from seriously considering GULC.
--Location: Staying in DC would be fantastic (I'd probably move in with my SO), although it might be time to experience something outside of DC after spending my entire life here.
--Finances: $90,000 is nice, but the self-destruction date on this offer is not. So if you're going to choose GULC, run (don't walk) to the poll.

Sorry about the really long post, but there are a lot of different things going into my decision. I'm leaning towards UVA, but Penn is still really close behind. Which one should I choose? And should GULC or NYU even be in the conversation?

sarahlawg

Silver

Re: UVA vs. Penn vs. NYU vs. GULC

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm

this thread is relevant to me as well. I'm curious as to the people choosing Penn over UVA. Is it because of the city life preference?

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 pm

tagged

and also fyi the April 7th day for accepting the GULC scholly isn't binding, I called the GULC finaid office and they said i could fax in the intent to enroll form and still withdraw in the future

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

dpk711 wrote:tagged

and also fyi the April 7th day for accepting the GULC scholly isn't binding, I called the GULC finaid office and they said i could fax in the intent to enroll form and still withdraw in the future
Really? I'll have to look at the form again and check...as much as I'd like the option of taking that scholarship, I don't think that there's any realistic chance I'm going to attend GULC, so I don't want to find myself in an ugly situation if I withdraw later. Plus, maybe the good karma of giving up my GULC $$ will make Penn send some more my way...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:41 am

c_dubya_s wrote:
DC placement is more important to me, as I have significant family connections here and will definitely work here at some point.

Placement for my interests seems as good or better than Penn, and the Law and Business program is definitely something I'm interested in.
--Location: I really liked Charlottesville, which is freaking gorgeous.
--Finances: $105,000 is an awesome amount of money, and really hard to turn down.
I think that UVA is the clear winner here. UVa has better DC connections if you want to end up there. Its cheaper. It is closer to DC, only an 1 1/2 commute, maybe 2 hours depending where. You can definitely make it work with an SO in DC if you want. I dont see how Philly would make that any easier since its farther (you need a car, but you probably will want one anyway). I really dont see how any other choice makes sense here. I think after reading all that I'd pick UVa in a toss up over Penn for you if the cost were even. With UVa $$$ = I'd take UVa unless you like the a different school so much that you have to go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 am

Also, GULC makes no sense, unless you choose it just to be with SO, in that case, it could be a good personal choice. up to you on that one

edit: language a little strong in both posts, all your options are great choices and none are absolutely wrong

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 am

Law Sauce wrote:Also, GULC makes no sense, unless you choose it just to be with SO, in that case, it could be a good personal choice. up to you on that one

edit: language a little strong in both posts, all your options are great choices and none are absolutely wrong
Thanks. FWIW, SO would be pretty pissed if I picked GULC just to be with her. She wants me to go to the school that's right for me, so I'm not looking to sacrifice my law school/career to stay in the same city as her.

dukey

New

Post by dukey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 am

Law Sauce wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
DC placement is more important to me, as I have significant family connections here and will definitely work here at some point.

Placement for my interests seems as good or better than Penn, and the Law and Business program is definitely something I'm interested in.
--Location: I really liked Charlottesville, which is freaking gorgeous.
--Finances: $105,000 is an awesome amount of money, and really hard to turn down.
I think that UVA is the clear winner here. UVa has better DC connections if you want to end up there. Its cheaper. It is closer to DC, only an 1 1/2 commute, maybe 2 hours depending where. You can definitely make it work with an SO in DC if you want. I dont see how Philly would make that any easier since its farther (you need a car, but you probably will want one anyway). I really dont see how any other choice makes sense here. I think after reading all that I'd pick UVa in a toss up over Penn for you if the cost were even. With UVa $$$ = I'd take UVa unless you like the a different school so much that you have to go there.
Law Sauce is right on target here...I don't know why anyone would vote for Penn 60k since you have 105k from UVa, especially since you can leverage those UVa alum relationships for your future career in big law. These relationships are actually a huge plus, believe it or not; you'd have a much easier time recruiting, even if you don't get an OCI interview you really want, simply because you can contact your UVa alum/attempt to circumvent traditional pathways of recruiting. (or at the bare minimum, you can get some good info. on their recruiting process and/or have them put in a good word for you)

Darden is an awesome business school if you're interested in a dual degree - it's definitely top notch enough for you to have amazing options.

In terms of visiting the SO, you can probably park somewhere in Virginia (e.g. Arlington) that is connected to DC through the underground metro, and you can then take a bus (Bolt Bus/Greyhound) pretty easily to get from DC to Philly. I don't think this option would be prohibitively expensive, and it's something I think you should consider.

I think at the end, even if Penn matches your 105k, I'd still recommend the UVa offer - visiting your SO 2x/month is manageable, you'd likely do better since you enjoy the UVa surrounding environment more (as do I, TBH), and you have distinctively better career prospects due to your present connects. Best luck.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 am

I am picking Penn over UVA because UVA has me waitlisted. For you I think the choice is clear. UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dukey

New

Post by dukey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

bmore wrote:I am picking Penn over UVA because UVA has me waitlisted. For you I think the choice is clear. UVA.
not to derail this thread, but bmore, have you told UVA about Penn? If not, you should do that and also mention that they are your #1. (if they in fact are)

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks to everyone. I was already leaning towards UVA, but it's good to hear that backed up by TLS opinion. Anyone else is also more than welcome to weigh in.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 am

dukey wrote:
bmore wrote:I am picking Penn over UVA because UVA has me waitlisted. For you I think the choice is clear. UVA.
not to derail this thread, but bmore, have you told UVA about Penn? If not, you should do that and also mention that they are your #1. (if they in fact are)
Interesting idea. Could at least try this. IMO, UVA can be better for some who want JD/MBA because, to be honest, why would anyone with the connections/WE to get into Wharton go to law school in this economy?

I could see Darden happening for me, though.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm

What a quandry

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”