Which Boston School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Boston school should I choose?

Boston College (sticker)
Northeastern (10k/yr)
Suffolk (55k/yr)
Total votes: 40

Which Boston School?

Postby africaforlife » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 pm

I am from Boston, and, if not working outside the US, probably want to remain in Boston. I have been accepted at BC, Northeastern, and Suffolk. I would be paying full price at BC (but could live with parents in Newton to offset some costs), about 10K a year at Northeastern, and more than a full ride at Suffolk (55K/yr).

Do you guys think a full ride at Suffolk would be smarter than full price at BC? My primary interest is in public interest / international human rights law (been working for the UN in Africa for the past three years), so the whole biglaw thing does not factor heavily into my decision making (though I can't entirely rule it out either). I really think I want to go back into human rights law in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Would really love people's advice and/or thoughts, but please no negativity about the schools or the pricetags involved. I can't stand all the pretentious T5-bound kids on here that like to poke at everyone who is not going to a t14.

Re: Which Boston School?

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:56 pm

I chose Suffolk, assuming no scholarship stipulation. But then again, I know nothing about it (and TLS doesn't even have a profile on it). If not Suffolk, then I would choose BC. Northeastern does not seem to be worth that small of a scholarship.

NOLA Proud

Postby NOLA Proud » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Look at BC's LRAP. It will likely help to offset the difference in Scholly. If you want more versatility down the road BC will without question be the correct decision. A lot of people are interested in PI when entering but change their minds once in law school. It is usually best to not limit your options.

Postby africaforlife » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

thank you for the advice. Does anyone else have any other words of wisdom that I should consider? i would be very grateful for any thoughts, but particularly from students at any of the three schools I am thinking about.

Postby ldboston » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 am

I would go with BC if you want to be able to work abroad/nationally. LRAP will help offset costs later, as will living in Newton with parents. I know several people at Suffolk Law who just aren't finding jobs, especially outside Boston. I think BC gives you the most options for the work you want to do.

Good luck with deciding!

Postby knotoftoads » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

don't pick Suffolk

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Given not just current hiring levels ITE, but also how saturated the Boston legal market is and how those specific schools place, I would honestly recommend "don't go" over either Northeastern or Suffolk.

Postby paratactical » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 pm

none of these schools are special. Considering your career goals, you should absolutely go to the school that will cost you the least money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”