STCL vs Cumberland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

STCL vs Cumberland

Postby txag10 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 pm

My GPA simply did not allow for an admit into a Top 100, although I have been waitlisted at Baylor, LSU, Ole Miss, and Houston. I want to work in Houston, but I am going USMC JAG following graduation from law school. I have 9,200 a year from South Texas and 75% tuition from Cumberland (Samford). I like both. That said, I want to work eventually in Houston, but good Lord, that is a huge scholarship from Cumberland. Advice?

Re: STCL vs Cumberland

Postby cmraider » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I am not from Houston or Alabama, nor am I a lawyer, nor do I know much about either of these schools. That said, I would imagine it would be nearly impossible for you to get to Houston from Samford without significant connections. In fact, I would guess that it would be difficult to get out of Alabama (and maybe even Birmingham) with a Samford JD. Before I started applying to law school, I didn't even know Samford had a LS, and I'm from a state that borders AL. Obviously, not knowing about Cumberland as a UG isn't that significant, but I think it speaks to the point that a Samford JD has limited reach.

I've read on these forums that South Texas places pretty well in Houston, which makes sense. I just don't see why Houston firms would be interested in someone from Samford when Texas, Houston, SMU, Baylor, Texas Tech, South Texas LSU, Oklahoma, Tulane and a host of other TTT/TTTTs are closer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”