Michigan(75k) v WUSTL (135k) v UIUC (ft) v IUB (ft + 3k/yr)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pinkzebra

Michigan(75k) v WUSTL (135k) v UIUC (ft) v IUB (ft + 3k/yr)

Postby pinkzebra » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Last edited by pinkzebra on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOcho

Re: Michigan(75k) v WUSTL (135k) v UIUC (ft) v IUB (ft + 3k/yr)

Postby TheOcho » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:34 pm

pinkzebra wrote:whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm

TheOcho wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB

are WUSTL and UIUC really as good as IUB for Indy? I am asking because I honestly don't know, but I'd guess that IUB would be a bit better and they are giving you a 3k stipend per year- take it if you're sure you want Indy (and if you want pretty much only indy)

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:16 am

pinkzebra wrote:Plan to work in Indianapolis, and fairly debt averse. Definitely not a biglaw or bust person... Have $25k in loans from undergrad and would like to keep it under $75k total... So obviously that knocks out Michigan, but the general consensus would choose Michigan over all of the other options... So I guess the question is, with Indianapolis as my target area and no set in stone career path, is it really just whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB?

I think Michigan is TITCR here. But if you don't want to go the $100k in debt for it, I guess that leaves you with the other three.

adt231 wrote:are WUSTL and UIUC really as good as IUB for Indy? I am asking because I honestly don't know, but I'd guess that IUB would be a bit better and they are giving you a 3k stipend per year- take it if you're sure you want Indy (and if you want pretty much only indy)

Find out which of those three places best in Indianapolis, and then go there.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 am

Are you from indy? If so, definitely go to Michigan.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am

Actually, the risk adverse option would be to go to Michigan because of the LRAP program that covers private sector salary in addition to PI or government. With Michigan you have the greatest chance of employment all over with the most options. Of course if you go to IUB and get a firm paying whatever Indy market would be the best financially.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 am

Michigan without question. Indianapolis firms will hire a UM grad with ties before an IUB grad, period.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I am from Indianapolis and the general consensus is that (for some stupid reason) the legal community is full of Hoosier snobs. If you really want to work in Indy without the desire to leave the city, you would be perfectly fine graduating from IU Indy. Yes, Indy. But in your position, the idea of turning down 25K per yr at Michigan seems pretty stupid, and the fact that UM grads don't end up in Indy is probably a selection bias. However, if you plan on staying in Indiana, free at IUB is TCR.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:14 pm

duckmoney wrote:Michigan without question. Indianapolis firms will hire a UM grad with ties before an IUB grad, period.

He definitely wants to stay in Indy and isn't sure he even wants biglaw so I don't understand at ALL why Michigan is worth the extra 150k... o yea, that's because it's not worth it. If the OP was even at all remotely interested in anything but indy and biglaw, then of course michigan is the correct response. But this is not the case, so Michigan is the WRONG response.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PiersonVee

Postby PiersonVee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

As a Michigan 2L, there have been quite a few firms from Indy come and interview on our campus. How's that for an anecdotal tidbit of information?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I think you'd be crazy to turn down 75k at Michigan for any school outside the T14.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think you'd be crazy to turn down 75k at Michigan for any school outside the T14.

No matter what one's career goals are? Wow.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 pm

PiersonVee wrote:As a Michigan 2L, there have been quite a few firms from Indy come and interview on our campus. How's that for an anecdotal tidbit of information?

Do those firms participate at OCI at IUB? Or better yet, do more Indy firms (not just including biglaw firms) participate in the OCI at IUB than at Mich? If so, again attending Michigan is a most likely a stupid decision (unless daddy and mommy are footing the bill).

PiersonVee

Postby PiersonVee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:49 pm

adt231 wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:As a Michigan 2L, there have been quite a few firms from Indy come and interview on our campus. How's that for an anecdotal tidbit of information?

Do those firms participate at OCI at IUB? Or better yet, do more Indy firms (not just including biglaw firms) participate in the OCI at IUB than at Mich? If so, again attending Michigan is a most likely a stupid decision (unless daddy and mommy are footing the bill).

I have no idea, but I assume that every Indy firm that participates in OCI programs goes to both Michigan and IUB.

It may be more worthwhile to compare LRAP programs, particularly since you are averse to debt. For example, if you end up working in the district attorney's office in Indy, a good LRAP program should take care of most, if not all, of your student loan payments. I don't know much about LRAP at Michigan, but I know that the information is readily accessible.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 pm

NALP has 2 firms from Indy going to Mich, and 10 going to IUB OCI.

And the two firms who go to Mich take 3 2L's combined.

I'd go IUB.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 pm

adt231 wrote:

Not with the great LRAP it isn't. Plus, most people would rather take a job in another state rather than be unemployed so in that reguard Michigan is better than either UIUC or IUB

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:06 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:

Not with the great LRAP it isn't. Plus, most people would rather take a job in another state rather than be unemployed so in that reguard Michigan is better than either UIUC or IUB

They better have a really fucking big endowment to pay for any job under 88K/year. ITE thats probably 40% of their class.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:

The bolded makes this totally irrelevant to our OP. It IS a stupid decision if one is entirely sure that they want Indy and only Indy.

Plus, there are Michigan grads who strike out of both the jobs that pay well and the ones that qualify for LRAP and there are even more grads from IUB who cannot find any employment, but since IUB is WAYYYY cheaper, this is more of a reason to choose IUB.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:

They better have a really fucking big endowment to pay for any job under 88K/year. ITE thats probably 40% of their class.

I read an article about it and it is really just a supplement to IBR.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:18 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I read an article about it and it is really just a supplement to IBR.

I assumed it was, but their website didn't mention it. That makes more sense.

But that means that it's not such a great deal. They'll knock off a little from your payment but your principle is still there. Better than nothing but not quite a license to take out a ton of student loans without regard to risk.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

adt231 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
adt231 wrote:

The bolded makes this totally irrelevant to our OP. It IS a stupid decision if one is entirely sure that they want Indy and only Indy.

Plus, there are Michigan grads who strike out of both the jobs that pay well and the ones that qualify for LRAP and there are even more grads from IUB who cannot find any employment, but since IUB is WAYYYY cheaper, this is more of a reason to choose IUB.

Yeah I got that for working in Indy IUB is better but I'm saying Michigan is actually the more risk adverse choice. I also never really got that the op was 100% HAVE to be in Indy:

Plan to work in Indianapolis, and fairly debt averse.... with Indianapolis as my target area and no set in stone career path, is it really just whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB?

I mean I have a goal to work in DC but I'd be happy in NYC or Chicago -- or really anywhere -- with a (better) job.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I read an article about it and it is really just a supplement to IBR.

But that means that it's not such a great deal. They'll knock off a little from your payment but your principle is still there. Better than nothing but not quite a license to take out a ton of student loans without regard to risk.

Yeah, I agree. It could screw you if you no longer qualify for IBR right before it is forgiven.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:25 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah, I agree. It could screw you if you no longer qualify for IBR right before it is forgiven.

Non PI IBR is 25 years, and they count the forgiven amount as taxable income.

IUB debt would be little enough to pay off even on low salary.

Unless the person REALLY wants Indy, Michigan is probably better, but if they really want Indy, it's the better choice.

adt231

Postby adt231 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeah I got that for working in Indy IUB is better but I'm saying Michigan is actually the more risk adverse choice. I also never really got that the op was 100% HAVE to be in Indy:

Plan to work in Indianapolis, and fairly debt averse.... with Indianapolis as my target area and no set in stone career path, is it really just whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB?

I mean I have a goal to work in DC but I'd be happy in NYC or Chicago -- or really anywhere -- with a (better) job.[/quote]

I totally agree! lol. I don't want to be in Indy either and I've got some target cities but would be pretty happy with many different scenarios. I guess the OP has some serious ties/obligations to Indy..

OP: would you be happy anywhere outside of INDY and could you put up with biglaw for a few years? If so, go to Ann Arbor!!! (all of my posts until this one has assumed that this was not the case)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”