Chicago (w/90K) vs. Harvard Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which One?

Chicago (w/90k)
46%
Harvard
50%
UT (Townes-Rice Scholly)
4%

Total votes: 78

kenpowers3

New

Chicago (w/90K) vs. Harvard

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Long-time lurker/reader on this incredibly useful and informative forum. So I know that there are other threads asking a similar question, but I'm looking for advice pertaining to my specific situation.

I recently got my JR2 and I am now facing the decision of whether to attend HLS or UofC w/ a 90K scholly (dinged at Yale, no word from SLS, sticker at CLS and roughly 90K from NYU but not as interested in as Chicago). I will be coming straight from undergrad with no real experience outside of retail sales and multiple years of serving at restaurants. Elite BigLaw (NY,L.A., D.C. or Chi) or a prestigious clerkship are the initial goals, although I realize these are very difficult to obtain no matter where you go or who you are. I'm not overly debt-averse but it is something I take into major consideration. Thank you for your opinions and all are welcome.

P.S. I was also offered the Townes-Rice Scholarship from Texas (full-tuition and fees w/ living stipend). It is extremely appealing but I feel it may close to many doors I'm interested in opening. Does anyone feel this should receive more consideration?

I will also be visiting both schools this April (both ASW's) to get a better feel of the institutions.
Last edited by kenpowers3 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

samsonyte16

New

Re: Chicago (w/90K) vs. Harvard

Post by samsonyte16 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I vote Harvard. The difference between 90k and 180k of debt isn't that significant, imo, if you want a law firm job. 1-2 extra years of paying debt is worth the difference in prestige in this case.

kenpowers3

New

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Thank you samsonyte I appreciate the feedback, as I do the poll voters!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I'd take the money. Havard is barely better than UChi anyway.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I would personally take Harvard any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But if you want to end up in the midwest, the money may outweigh the prestige.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kenpowers3

New

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you for the input Desert Fox and MrPapagiorgio, much appreciated.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:54 pm

kenpowers3 wrote:Thank you for the input Desert Fox and MrPapagiorgio, much appreciated.
Though def wait for harvards aid package. That might bring the costs more in line.

kenpowers3

New

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kenpowers3 wrote:Thank you for the input Desert Fox and MrPapagiorgio, much appreciated.
Though def wait for harvards aid package. That might bring the costs more in line.

Ya I'm hoping to get that figured out soon, as it could make the decision much easier.

kenpowers3

New

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Shameless bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm

kenpowers3 wrote:Long-time lurker/reader on this incredibly useful and informative forum. So I know that there are other threads asking a similar question, but I'm looking for advice pertaining to my specific situation.

I recently got my JR2 and I am now facing the decision of whether to attend HLS or UofC w/ a 90K scholly (dinged at Yale, no word from SLS, sticker at CLS and roughly 90K from NYU but not as interested in as Chicago). I will be coming straight from undergrad with no real experience outside of retail sales and multiple years of serving at restaurants. I have a B.B.A. in Finance and a B.A. in Econ ( a positive for Chicago), with multiple leadership positions. I am from Minnesota and although I would like to receive the highest (V10, I can dream) BigLaw position I can get upon graduation I would like to eventually end up in the Midwest. My long-term goal is to move in-house and serve as General Counsel/Legal Counsel for a major corporation or sports franchise. I haven't received my aid package from HLS yet but I expect it to be mediocre (not much family wealth but a little). Elite BigLaw (NY,L.A., D.C. or Chi) or a prestigious clerkship are the initial goals, although I realize these are very difficult to obtain no matter where you go or who you are. I'm not overly debt-averse but it is something I take into major consideration. One last caveat, I'm an extremely social individual who likes to play hard on the side and certainly enjoys female eye candy :wink: . Thank you for your opinions and all are welcome.

P.S. I was also offered the Townes-Rice Scholarship from Texas (full-tuition and fees w/ living stipend). It is extremely appealing but I feel it may close to many doors I'm interested in opening. Does anyone feel this should receive more consideration?

I will also be visiting both schools this April (both ASW's) to get a better feel of the institutions.
I'd go Chicago, but you really can't go wrong here

kenpowers3

New

Post by kenpowers3 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Bump, help

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm

You appreciate female eye candy? Do you also appreciate women throwing themselves at you? If so, go to Harvard for the guaranteed panty drop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”