I am completely screwed. No idea on where to go. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school? (Scholarships are totals)

Case Western Reserve w/ 96K scholarship
4%
Emory w/ 45K scholarship
19%
W&L w/ 30K scholarship
7%
UGA (In-state all 3 years)
14%
Wake Forest w/ 66K scholarship
10%
Indiana w/ 120K scholarship
31%
Minnesota w/ 60K scholarship
8%
SMU w/ 77K scholarship
5%
Pittsburgh w/ 42K scholarship
1%

Total votes: 141

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Re: I am completely screwed. No idea on where to go.

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

That is an amazing list of schools in some of the most awful places to live in the country. Did you not even consider any of the big markets? No GW, no BC/BU, no Fordham?

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Indiana for free is pretty hard to pass up. I'm guessing that scholarship is free of any contingencies? If you have strong family connections in Georgia that will help you; just make sure you get internships in the midatlantic after both 1L and 2L year.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

SrLaw wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
SrLaw wrote:The problem is that I have taken the exam 3 times already.
I think even without a retake, a 3.4.167 should be good for at least one school in your preferred market.
It did. However, my 3.4 is killing my chances of $$$. I cannot take out 200K + in loans for BC or BU. Too much risk and a stupid investment, imo.
gotcha. I didn't realize you had acceptances to these schools. have you tried negotiating? you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. if you do think you could do better on the LSAT and are willing, you can ask a school for a waiver to take it a 4th time. other than that, I don't have much advice. like you said, none of these schools is really a fantastic choice considering your preferences.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

I say Emory---only one with any resonance on the East Coast (though mostly NYC---I have had NJ lawyers tell me that they would LOVE to take Emory lawyers but they NEVER get the application for obvious reasons)---it also seems to have some pull in DC and NOVA

And at 50-60k, it really isn't a huge crapshoot

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:Also, I'm strongly considering UGA; going to ASD this weekend. I know some alum and it's a great school as well. 5 Supreme Court Clerks in 7 years. Top 5 Public for placing Supreme Court clerks, if you're into that kind of thing. And they place better in ATL than Emory.
Um, no.

But if you are such a crazy loony conservative that you think you could actually clerk for Clarence Thomas, then UGA might be right for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Personally, I always like to take a look at what firms at least come do OCI at a school. Indiana may have a good ranking, throwing you plenty of money, but have you looked at the employers that come there? Doesn't exactly scream east coast...

A full-ride is tempting. It slightly tempted me but as always, don't become jaded by the presence of large sums of $.

EDIT: I really can't say what school I'd pick given your options. Emory most likely...

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

What I learned this cycle is that there is a HUGE difference between a 3.4 and a 3.5. I seem to have lost chances at 50-60K at some schools because of this .1 differential.

I am still waiting on ND and WUSTL and on the WL at William and Mary.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:That is an amazing list of schools in some of the most awful places to live in the country. Did you not even consider any of the big markets? No GW, no BC/BU, no Fordham?
Are the people in this thread illiterate?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 pm

danquayle wrote:
Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:That is an amazing list of schools in some of the most awful places to live in the country. Did you not even consider any of the big markets? No GW, no BC/BU, no Fordham?
are you a douche?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I honestly wouldn't touch any of these schools considering your numbers and geographic preference.
This is the only real credited response. You didn't apply to any schools that feed into major markets on the east coast. MN? Wustl? These aren't going to get the job done for you. I would probably re-apply. Can't hurt. Better than getting stuck in some city/town you have no desire to live in.

If you can get your scores up, you could get a scholly at one of the schools. Or you can just save up for a year and not take out as much debt.

Also, you should keep in mind that no-one pays the full amount the school allows or recommends. You should just take out what you need. At BU, you are looking at around 130k sticker, and at BC you are looking at around 120k sticker (not much of a difference to be honest, but you can really drop the cost of BC by living out in the suburbs).

I would not attend any of the schools you mentioned if you want to practice in the northeast. Emory will help you in ATL. GW will help you in DC.

Why would you go to school in the midwest (generally or with your specific goals)? Not sure why you even applied to some of these.

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

If you absolutely must go to the northeast, then Emory and W&L are probably your best bets. I'd say probably a quarter of my class landed jobs up there.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
danquayle wrote:
are you a douche?
You don't think its annoying seeing about 6 people ask WHY NO BU/BC!!?? in the same thread which consists of 2 pages? Yeah. Plus the typical EVERY PLACE THAT'S NOT NY/DC/NE IS AN AWFUL TO LIVE THOUGH I'VE PERSONALLY BEEN motif that underlies the initial comment is the most replete douche refrain imaginable. Of course, you being a known incipient douche, would likely support this assertion.

SrLaw, you sound extremely debt averse. Debt aversion grows dramatically once you start actually accruing the debt. Prospectively, BC and/or BU are no brainers for the area you're looking at. But if you're scared of that debt now, it'll only become worse.

You have two choices: 1) Pick a secondary market with palatable debt (Atlanta and Minneapolis are both pretty nice areas) or 2) pick the lowest debt. There's not much more you can say. Since I've actually, you know read your responses, you sound pretty insistent that you're neither going to further put off law school attendance nor forego law school altogether.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

danquayle wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
danquayle wrote:
are you a douche?
You don't think its annoying seeing about 6 people ask WHY NO BU/BC!!?? in the same thread which consists of 2 pages? Yeah. Plus the typical everything that/s not NY/DC/NE IS AWFUL TO LIVE IN that underlies the initial comment is the most replete douche refrain imaginable. Of course, you being a known incipient douche, would likely support this assertion.

SrLaw, you sound extremely debt averse. Debt aversion grows dramatically once you start actually accruing the debt. Prospectively, BC and/or BU are no brainers for the area you're looking at. But if you're scared of that debt now, it'll only become worse.

You have two choices: 1) Pick a secondary market with palatable debt (Atlanta and Minneapolis are both pretty nice areas) or 2) pick the lowest debt. There's not much more you can say, as you also sound pretty insistent that you're neither going to put off law school attendance any further nor forego law school altogether.
it's not like OP spelled it out for everyone. he said he wouldn't consider other schools. no one has any idea what the schools were. the options he has are terrible, for HIS REGIONAL PREFERENCE, so it seems pretty reasonable to ask about BU/BC/Fordham/GW. not everyone reads the whole thread to voice their opinion. maybe they should, but they don't. and honestly man, I know some people on the boards don't like me, but you are a massive douche. every single thread I see you post in, someone is calling you out for being a douche. it's incredible. I'm not nearly that bad. you're maybe the 3rd person that has called me a douche. I can live with that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
danquayle wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
are you a douche?
You don't think its annoying seeing about 6 people ask WHY NO BU/BC!!?? in the same thread which consists of 2 pages? Yeah. Plus the typical everything that/s not NY/DC/NE IS AWFUL TO LIVE IN that underlies the initial comment is the most replete douche refrain imaginable. Of course, you being a known incipient douche, would likely support this assertion.

You have two choices: 1) Pick a secondary market with palatable debt (Atlanta and Minneapolis are both pretty nice areas) or 2) pick the lowest debt. There's not much more you can say, as you also sound pretty insistent that you're neither going to put off law school attendance any further nor forego law school altogether.
it's not like OP spelled it out for everyone. he said he wouldn't consider other schools. no one has any idea what the schools were. the options he has are terrible, for HIS REGIONAL PREFERENCE, so it seems pretty reasonable to ask about BU/BC/Fordham/GW. not everyone reads the whole thread to voice their opinion. maybe they should, but they don't. and honestly man, I know some people on the boards don't like me, but you are a massive douche. every single thread I see you post in, someone is calling you out for being a douche. it's incredible. I'm not nearly that bad. you're maybe the 3rd person that has called me a douche. I can live with that.
OK. Glad you made your peace.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

I love BC/BU. Love everything about those schools. However, they are just too expensive and my parents refuse to pay for me to go a school like that. Therefore my loans would be outlandish.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:18 pm

If your debt from undergrad is not massive, suck it up and go to BC/BU.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

wake.. bc stone cold said so

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

onmytoes812

New

Post by onmytoes812 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:29 pm

ELS2010 wrote:
onmytoes812 wrote:Also, I'm strongly considering UGA; going to ASD this weekend. I know some alum and it's a great school as well. 5 Supreme Court Clerks in 7 years. Top 5 Public for placing Supreme Court clerks, if you're into that kind of thing. And they place better in ATL than Emory.
Um, no.

But if you are such a crazy loony conservative that you think you could actually clerk for Clarence Thomas, then UGA might be right for you.
Maybe you're one of those "You can't get a job, much less a good one, if you don't go T14" people who love this site, but I've spoken with partners at firms in ATL, and the typical Emory grad doesn't want to stay in Atlanta from what I have noticed. I'm sure they place well, but Alston + Bird especially prefer UGA (90+ of their 800 INTERNATIONAL employees went to UGA for law school. With several offices, there are probably only 200 attorneys in Atlanta. But don't quote me).

As far as clerkships, Top 5 public schools in placement is nothing to snub your nose at.

To the OP, I'm gonna break some TLS protocol here, but if you do REALLY well at ANY top law school, and they have a good career services department, you can get a job in whatever market you want. I mean, Order of the Coif/Law Review looks good period. And if you go to a "less good" school, you might have a better chance of getting those.

I'm sure someone will disagree and tell me that my life was over the second I didn't make the 173 I was scoring on my practice LSATs, but talk to me (and most other people here) in 3 years...we'll have jobs. And bonus of not going to a T14: You don't have to deal with the gunners who live on this website. Because guess what? They'll all be there. Sound fun?

I can't imagine waiting a whole extra year to go to law school at this point. Either pay sticker to get the "advantage" or pick a school you like that gave you $ and take initiative to get a job in the market you want. You're not as much of a slave to your school as people think (perspective: half of all law applicants get in NOWHERE. And most people go to schools that are not in the Top 100)

Good luck! (And sorry for the soapbox)

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:36 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:
ELS2010 wrote:
Um, no.

Maybe you're one of those "You can't get a job, much less a good one, if you don't go T14" people who love this site, but I've spoken with partners at firms in ATL, and the typical Emory grad doesn't want to stay in Atlanta from what I have noticed. I'm sure they place well, but Alston + Bird especially prefer UGA (90+ of their 800 INTERNATIONAL employees went to UGA for law school. With several offices, there are probably only 200 attorneys in Atlanta. But don't quote me).

As far as clerkships, Top 5 public schools in placement is nothing to snub your nose at.

To the OP, I'm gonna break some TLS protocol here, but if you do REALLY well at ANY top law school, and they have a good career services department, you can get a job in whatever market you want. I mean, Order of the Coif/Law Review looks good period. And if you go to a "less good" school, you might have a better chance of getting those.

I'm sure someone will disagree and tell me that my life was over the second I didn't make the 173 I was scoring on my practice LSATs, but talk to me (and most other people here) in 3 years...we'll have jobs. And bonus of not going to a T14: You don't have to deal with the gunners who live on this website. Because guess what? They'll all be there. Sound fun?

I can't imagine waiting a whole extra year to go to law school at this point. Either pay sticker to get the "advantage" or pick a school you like that gave you $ and take initiative to get a job in the market you want. You're not as much of a slave to your school as people think (perspective: half of all law applicants get in NOWHERE. And most people go to schools that are not in the Top 100)

Good luck! (And sorry for the soapbox)
lol

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:33 am

The notion that UGA places better into Atlanta than Emory does is beyond absurd. But the truth of the matter is that either school will get you there - you'll probably need to finish higher at UGA to get the same interviews, but there are plenty of alumni of both schools here.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 am

Yea. I change my vote---if you want NE and got into BU/BC/Fordham/GW---go there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 am

You can try retaking once more...If you hit a 169+ you have a real decent shot at Cornell.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 am

I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU POST THE AMOUNT OF YOUR SCHOLARSHIP? THAT IS IRRELVANT! THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS HOW MUCH EACH ONE WILL END UP COSTING YOU. GIVE US THE NUMBERS AFTER SCHOLARSHIPS.

I'LL TELL YOU WHY YOU DO IT- SO YOU CAN BRAG ABOUT YOUR SCHOLARSHIPS EVEN THOUGH NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS DRIVES ME NUTS EVERY TIME I SEE THIS!!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU POST THE AMOUNT OF YOUR SCHOLARSHIP? THAT IS IRRELVANT! THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS HOW MUCH EACH ONE WILL END UP COSTING YOU. GIVE US THE NUMBERS AFTER SCHOLARSHIPS.

I'LL TELL YOU WHY YOU DO IT- SO YOU CAN BRAG ABOUT YOUR SCHOLARSHIPS EVEN THOUGH NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:40 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I FUCKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DO THIS.

Get a life.
Says the old man who stocks me from thread to thread. Go walk uphill to school and hustle and work hard, and bootstraps, and kids these days...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”