Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

Fordham (5k/yr scholarship)
13
31%
UIUC (20k/yr scholarship)
15
36%
Seton Hall (Full Ride with top 50% stipulation)
14
33%
 
Total votes: 42

Selfridge
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby Selfridge » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Info:

I am a NJ resident who will live at home while attending Fordham or Seton Hall
I have general interests in intellectual property and public interest law
I have no specific regional preferences

I have very little UG debt but I am still debt averse and for this reason I am most hesitant about attending Fordham. UIUC is tempting although with COL (even though it is relatively low) I'm looking at a debt load of close to 100K. And Seton Hall for free is alluring although I am concerned about job prospects coming out.

What would you do in my situation? Thanks everyone for your input! 8)

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby adt231 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:51 pm

seton hall full tuition scholly seems to be the most tempting given your 0$ COL expenses. If you don't land a job when you graduate you still have a JD on your resume and didn't pay a dime to get it.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Selfridge wrote:Info:

I am a NJ resident who will live at home while attending Fordham or Seton Hall
I have general interests in intellectual property and public interest law
I have no specific regional preferences

I have very little UG debt but I am still debt averse and for this reason I am most hesitant about attending Fordham. UIUC is tempting although with COL (even though it is relatively low) I'm looking at a debt load of close to 100K. And Seton Hall for free is alluring although I am concerned about job prospects coming out.

What would you do in my situation? Thanks everyone for your input! 8)


If you are interested in IP, do you have the background to actually practice? An engineering or science degree?

What kind of stipulations are on that Steton hall scholarship.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 pm

FWIW, Seton Hall has a pretty good name within the NJ patent community

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Selfridge wrote:Info:

I am a NJ resident who will live at home while attending Fordham or Seton Hall
I have general interests in intellectual property and public interest law
I have no specific regional preferences

I have very little UG debt but I am still debt averse and for this reason I am most hesitant about attending Fordham. UIUC is tempting although with COL (even though it is relatively low) I'm looking at a debt load of close to 100K. And Seton Hall for free is alluring although I am concerned about job prospects coming out.

What would you do in my situation? Thanks everyone for your input! 8)


If you are interested in IP, do you have the background to actually practice? An engineering or science degree?

What kind of stipulations are on that Steton hall scholarship.


Seton Hall's stips are usually top 50%, no gradations.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Seton Hall.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby Verity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Do you want to practice in NJ/NY? If so, I'd say Fordham has the best reputation, but not enough of one to forgo a full-ride. SHU Pirates, FTW.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.


Not to be a dick, but please don't take advice about NY/NJ law from someone who doesn't even know the name of one of your major choices.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:10 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.


Not to be a dick, but please don't take advice about NY/NJ law from someone who doesn't even know the name of one of your major choices.


TBF if the school wasn't a pile of shit I'd get it's name right.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.


Not to be a dick, but please don't take advice about NY/NJ law from someone who doesn't even know the name of one of your major choices.


TBF if the school wasn't a pile of shit I'd get it's name right.


Ha I know many Seton Hall grads who make significantly more money than you probably ever will. It is in no way a piece of shit---it's overpriced, but the generous scholarships and fallback NJ clerkships certainly alleviate that.

You know nothing about Jersey or NYC, so you should see your way out.

For a forum that talks incessantly about how regional law schools are, there are a shitload of flyover country tards talking out of their ass about areas they know nothing about.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.


Not to be a dick, but please don't take advice about NY/NJ law from someone who doesn't even know the name of one of your major choices.


TBF if the school wasn't a pile of shit I'd get it's name right.


Ha I know many Seton Hall grads who make significantly more money than you probably ever will. It is in no way a piece of shit---it's overpriced, but the generous scholarships and fallback NJ clerkships certainly alleviate that.

You know nothing about Jersey or NYC, so you should see your way out.

For a forum that talks incessantly about how regional law schools are, there are a shitload of flyover country tards talking out of their ass about areas they know nothing about.


What kind of retarded logic is this?

User avatar
apollo13
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby apollo13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 pm

ReTake

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby Verity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:29 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Steton Hall, but drop out if you lose your scholly.


Not to be a dick, but please don't take advice about NY/NJ law from someone who doesn't even know the name of one of your major choices.


TBF if the school wasn't a pile of shit I'd get it's name right.


Ha I know many Seton Hall grads who make significantly more money than you probably ever will. It is in no way a piece of shit---it's overpriced, but the generous scholarships and fallback NJ clerkships certainly alleviate that.

You know nothing about Jersey or NYC, so you should see your way out.

For a forum that talks incessantly about how regional law schools are, there are a shitload of flyover country tards talking out of their ass about areas they know nothing about.



But wait: he said it was a pile of shit.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Verity wrote:But wait: he said it was a pile of shit.



:roll:

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What kind of retarded logic is this?


Do you know ANYTHING about NJ law firms?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

heard someone was mad. ran here.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:40 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of retarded logic is this?


Do you know ANYTHING about NJ law firms?


I was referring to your part about knowing rich SH grads who have more money than me.

It was stupid because:

1) Measuring a school by outliers is fucking stupid. By any objective measure SH is shit, pure shit. It may have a leg up in a shitty secondary market, but only 10%ish are getting big law. It might be the best, but it's still shit.

2) The part of about me is odd.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

I would take seton hall and pray to get top 1510%.

(also: tag - love this shitshow.)

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 pm

fatduck wrote:heard someone was mad. ran here.


I got here just in time.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of retarded logic is this?


Do you know ANYTHING about NJ law firms?


I was referring to your part about knowing rich SH grads who have more money than me.

It was stupid because:

1) Measuring a school by outliers is fucking stupid. By any objective measure SH is shit, pure shit. It may have a leg up in a shitty secondary market, but only 10%ish are getting big law. It might be the best, but it's still shit.

2) The part of about me is odd.


So you know nothing about NJ law firms. Thanks for that.

And the people I know making that money are not working in BigLaw.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:48 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of retarded logic is this?


Do you know ANYTHING about NJ law firms?


I was referring to your part about knowing rich SH grads who have more money than me.

It was stupid because:

1) Measuring a school by outliers is fucking stupid. By any objective measure SH is shit, pure shit. It may have a leg up in a shitty secondary market, but only 10%ish are getting big law. It might be the best, but it's still shit.

2) The part of about me is odd.


So you know nothing about NJ law firms. Thanks for that.

And the people I know making that money are not working in BigLaw.

Image

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

fatduck wrote:Image



I agree, the Bronx sucks.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of retarded logic is this?


Do you know ANYTHING about NJ law firms?


I was referring to your part about knowing rich SH grads who have more money than me.

It was stupid because:

1) Measuring a school by outliers is fucking stupid. By any objective measure SH is shit, pure shit. It may have a leg up in a shitty secondary market, but only 10%ish are getting big law. It might be the best, but it's still shit.

2) The part of about me is odd.


So you know nothing about NJ law firms. Thanks for that.

And the people I know making that money are not working in BigLaw.


what are these steton hall grads doing that requires a JD and pays 6 figures?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Fordham (5k/yr), UIUC (20k/yr), or Seton Hall (Full Ride)

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:So you know nothing about NJ law firms. Thanks for that.

And the people I know making that money are not working in BigLaw.

I know stuff about NJ law firms. And I know people at SH. You are making it sound like it is common to get good jobs (let alone big $$ jobs) from there, which it isn't, which is DF's point.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Screech Owl, wittynprofane, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests