Best choice not in target market?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

UVa [full tuition scholly]
48%
Cornell [35k/yr]
9%
UChicago [30k/yr]
33%
NYU [sticker, but no COL expenses]
7%
RETAKE DONT GO TO LAW SCHOOL!!!
2%

Total votes: 96

Berry

Best choice not in target market?

Postby Berry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Ties to NYC. Goal is NYC BigLaw (or really, doing anything in NYC that earns a decent living), but despite that I think it will still be as obvious to everyone else as my ordering suggests it is to me? Guess it’s kind of risky going to UVa hoping to get back to NYC, but I suppose it’s more risky to take on 150k debt instead of 50k?

FuManChusco

Re: Best choice not in target market?

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:57 pm

this is tough. I think I'm going Chicago. T6 with $$$.

edit: didn't see the no COL. maybe NYU then. you're in an enviable position. those are all great options. surprised HYS CLS aren't options.

Berry

Postby Berry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Surprised at the skewing so far. FWIW, people, if you check the stats--UVa actually seems to place slightly better in NYC than UChicago from what I've seen.

Still waiting on responses from H and C, but likely not in.

Sam Seaborn

Postby Sam Seaborn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Cornell. NYC is its main market and places quite well there. COL is low, and you have a nice scholly.

Berry

Postby Berry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

I guess I just thought the common knowledge was ITE, we should try to avoid debt, because even T14s may not place well. I know a lot of people really envy no COL at NYU, but 150k debt is still really scary to me, and the tradeoff is a long commute.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Berry wrote:I guess I just thought the common knowledge was ITE, we should try to avoid debt, because even T14s may not place well.

non-sticker debt at a T6 isn't really a problem though. I would negotiate with NYU first and foremost. have you visited the schools? anything aside from biglaw that majorly interests you? maybe even down the road in your career? it's a really tough choice from my point of view at least. you really can't go wrong.

Berry

Postby Berry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I tried sending NYU my offers ahead of time, but to no avail. Maybe they'll offer something in their appeal process, which could change the entire picture. And yeah, I'd like to segue into public interest work after a few years of BigLaw. I don't know if I "can't go wrong" though--if I take on 150k at N and then miss out on BigLaw, I'm still in trouble, right?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm

all fantastic. visit

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Berry wrote:I tried sending NYU my offers ahead of time, but to no avail. Maybe they'll offer something in their appeal process, which could change the entire picture. And yeah, I'd like to segue into public interest work after a few years of BigLaw. I don't know if I "can't go wrong" though--if I take on 150k at N and then miss out on BigLaw, I'm still in trouble, right?

If you like Public Interest, do that and go to NYU. Their LRAP is really good for PI. If you just want to do biglaw for monetary reasons, then it might be better to look at the LRAP offerings rather than looking at trying to get a 160k job right out of law school. If you are actually interested in biglaw and want to do that regardless, UVA can place you in biglaw no problem and if you save that 150k+ of money instead of paying off debt, you will have set yourself up for a very nice retirement even if you do public defender work for the rest of your life.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Congrats on these awesome choices.

I think you're worrying too much about strength of placement in NYC. All these schools will put you in good shape for NYC Biglaw. Perhaps NYU is best from that perspective, but definitely NOT $100K+ better than the others.

If it were me: Cornell. Near zero tuition expense, Ivy prestige, nice college town, and personally I believe the small class size creates a placement advantage.

Berry

Postby Berry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Robespierre wrote:I think you're worrying too much about strength of placement in NYC. All these schools will put you in good shape for NYC Biglaw. Perhaps NYU is best from that perspective, but definitely NOT $100K+ better than the others.

I think this is what it comes down to. And while it might be superior for other things, for my particular goal, I don't think Chicago is $60k better than UVa, either. Maybe I'm being too debt averse, but I have to consider that I have very little of a safety net if I don't succeed.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Seriously, you people are all idiots. FULL TUITION at UVA and you vote for 150k in debt at the school ranked slightly higher? :roll:

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 pm

I would go with Chicago hands down.

You would be competing with fewer of your peers for NYC than you would at say, Cornell or UVA.

Also, Chicago is generally considered superior than all of the other options. Except NYU.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 pm

It isn't risky getting back to NYC from UVa. NYC is pretty much the primary market for all of the T14. Heck, at least from the 2005 data, the only T14s that didn't primarily place in NYC were Stanford, Berkeley, UChi, and Northwestern (the latter two of which only sent 32% and 44% respectively to Illinois).

If I were you I would try and haggle with NYU using your other offers. If that doesn't work then I'd pick between UVa and UChi (I don't think you can go wrong with either option).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm

UVA is the only choice.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Veyron wrote:Seriously, you people are all idiots. FULL TUITION at UVA and you vote for 150k in debt at the school ranked slightly higher? :roll:

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:31 pm

I picked Cornell. The scholly isn't quite as nice but the regional ties are very strong.

Choices should also depend heavily on scholarship stipulations...

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
Veyron wrote:Seriously, you people are all idiots. FULL TUITION at UVA and you vote for 150k in debt at the school ranked slightly higher? :roll:

ummmm where are you getting 150k debt from? I think most people said negotiate with NYU and Chicago probably comes out to about 60k more debt than UVA, which really isn't bad if you want the t5 prestige. less than 120k total debt with debt at uva looking about 60k. UVA is a great option, but I don't think it's as obvious as you make it seem. even cornell is a dark horse here.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
FlanSolo wrote:

ummmm where are you getting 150k debt from? I think most people said negotiate with NYU and Chicago probably comes out to about 60k more debt than UVA, which really isn't bad if you want the t5 prestige. less than 120k total debt with debt at uva looking about 60k. UVA is a great option, but I don't think it's as obvious as you make it seem. even cornell is a dark horse here.

Ah, missed the 35 a year part at Chi. That does even things out a bit (you know, if you can tolerate UChicago).

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm

If you like Chicago, go there. It really is top notch at elite firm placement (see Leiter biglaw rankings)

Berry

Postby Berry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:28 pm

androstan wrote:I picked Cornell. The scholly isn't quite as nice but the regional ties are very strong.

Choices should also depend heavily on scholarship stipulations...

None of them indicated any stipulations.

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I would go with Chicago hands down.

You would be competing with fewer of your peers for NYC than you would at say, Cornell or UVA.

I don't know if this is true in UVa's case--seems pretty diverse, with at least as many wanting DC as NYC.

Visited Chicago and liked it, but warm climate of UVa is also appealing. Will update if N offers any $.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 pm

OP: what's the problem? UVA places better into NY than it does into any other market...

Berry

Postby Berry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm

As I said, I'm leaning towards it right now. Big decision. Just wanted to hear all opinions first.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Berry wrote:As I said, I'm leaning towards it right now. Big decision. Just wanted to hear all opinions first.

At least take Cornell out of the running. It offers nothing over UVA and will cost you more.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Berry wrote:Guess it’s kind of risky going to UVa hoping to get back to NYC

How the hell is that risky? Someone post the chart that lists New York as UVA's home market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”