Michigan State University??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mora6577

New

Re: Michigan State University???

Post by mora6577 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:05 am

I'm not a flame...and I didn't say an automatic spot on their law review...I said a CHANCE to write for their law review. It's part of the King's Scholarship offer. For everyone else who has actually had HELPFUL ADVICE...thanks. :)

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 am

Usually every student in an entering class has a chance to write onto law review, which is why something like that sounded weird to people on this board. Sounds like a throw-in they are using to make the scholarship offer sound better.

sizzlechest

New

Post by sizzlechest » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Flanker1127 wrote:In response to Barbell Dreams.....

I understand your point but their are large firms in MI. Check out Warner Norcross and Judd in Grand Rapids, Dickinson Wright, Clark Hill, Miller Canfield Paddock & Stone, Dykema Gossett, Butzel Long, Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn are all in Detroit, and Varnum which is the only one of these not listed in the largest 250 firms is a great firm based out of Grand Rapids.
Great information on these firms.
Where did you find it?
Thank you.

lawlcat4179

New

Post by lawlcat4179 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:51 pm

sizzlechest wrote:

I understand your point but their are large firms in MI. Check out Warner Norcross and Judd in Grand Rapids, Dickinson Wright, Clark Hill, Miller Canfield Paddock & Stone, Dykema Gossett, Butzel Long, Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn are all in Detroit, and Varnum which is the only one of these not listed in the largest 250 firms is a great firm based out of Grand Rapids.
Where did you find it?
Thank you.
I urge you to reexamine things if you plan on landing a job at one of these firms upon graduation from MSU. Honestly, if these are factoring into your decision AT ALL you are already making a major mistake. I would venture that you probably would need top 3% from MSU to have a chance at these firms, then you'd also need to nail the interview. These are really the only firms that I happen to be interested in and I will probably be attending U of M in the fall (And I'm sure there are plenty more people just like me to compete with). From what I was told, I'd need to place quite high in my class at U of M to even have a shot because its such a small market.

Bottom line, MSU wouldn't be so bad for free if you don't mind making 40-50K a year at graduation (assuming you get any job). Just remember that these firms you mention are usually only bringing in a half dozen or so fresh JD's a year. That doesn't exactly add up to a lot of total positions.

Also, as an anticipation to a possible retort, I am aware that there are several MSU alums working at these large law firms. However, most of these people were hired before the '08 apocalypse hit, so don't expect that to continue.

Sorry to be a downer, just thought you should be forewarned. Before you commit to anything though, contact some attorneys there and ask for their input.

sizzlechest

New

Post by sizzlechest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:21 am

lawlcat4179 wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:

Where did you find it?
Thank you.
I urge you to reexamine things if you plan on landing a job at one of these firms upon graduation from MSU. Honestly, if these are factoring into your decision AT ALL you are already making a major mistake. I would venture that you probably would need top 3% from MSU to have a chance at these firms, then you'd also need to nail the interview. These are really the only firms that I happen to be interested in and I will probably be attending U of M in the fall (And I'm sure there are plenty more people just like me to compete with). From what I was told, I'd need to place quite high in my class at U of M to even have a shot because its such a small market.

Bottom line, MSU wouldn't be so bad for free if you don't mind making 40-50K a year at graduation (assuming you get any job). Just remember that these firms you mention are usually only bringing in a half dozen or so fresh JD's a year. That doesn't exactly add up to a lot of total positions.

Also, as an anticipation to a possible retort, I am aware that there are several MSU alums working at these large law firms. However, most of these people were hired before the '08 apocalypse hit, so don't expect that to continue.

Sorry to be a downer, just thought you should be forewarned. Before you commit to anything though, contact some attorneys there and ask for their input.
Valid points.

Here is some information on Michigan firms to those interested:
http://milawyersweekly.com/wp-files/llf/millf_2010.pdf

Does anyone have other resources on the Michigan legal market they would share?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 am

sizzlechest wrote:
lawlcat4179 wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:

Where did you find it?
Thank you.

Valid points.

There's one rule in most professional organizations --> It's much easier to go down in prestige than go up. While I don't think MSU is an awful choice if you want to stick in Michigan, its not good enough to pass up a powerhouse like Texas. Worse comes to worse, get a tan in Texas for 3 years and lateral up...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 pm

sizzlechest wrote:
lawlcat4179 wrote:
sizzlechest wrote:

Where did you find it?
Thank you.

Valid points.

This is extremely helpful, thank you for posting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”