Help me decide

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

what do you think?

IU-B
46%
BYU
3%
GMU
3%
Emory
49%

Total votes: 35

hurldes

Help me decide

Postby hurldes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 pm

[*] I got the $120,000 from IU
[*] BYU tuition is only $9,000 per year
[*] GMU offered $5,000/year with top 25% stipulation
[*] Emory offered $12,000/year (tuition would be the same as GMU ~$30k/yr)

Originally from California; I'd like to work in DC, but wouldn't mind living in Utah or Indiana as long as I don't get stuck there. I've never been to Atlanta. My undergrad is electrical engineering and I'm planning on IP.

Thanks everyone!

bk1

Re: Help me decide

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 pm

GMU since it probably has the best shot at DC.

Maybe BYU but I think you'd need to be tippy top of your class there to have a shot at DC.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:49 pm

yeah, that's what I figured... I'm also fairly debt averse. I mean if GMU can get me a job at a solid DC firm I'll go there for sure. But the difference between BYU and GMU would be over $80,000 (COA, COL included). How high up in the class would I need to be at GMU to have a shot at a decent firm?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 pm

hurldes wrote:yeah, that's what I figured... I'm also fairly debt averse. I mean if GMU can get me a job at a solid DC firm I'll go there for sure. But the difference between BYU and GMU would be over $80,000 (COA, COL included). How high up in the class would I need to be at GMU to have a shot at a decent firm?

I'd say 20% to have a decent shot but more like 10% to start feeling safe about it.

If you want the cost effective option then the answer is you have to sacrifice your chance at DC. Which means you should probably go to BYU.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm

I can't imagine that I'd be able to consider BYU unless I were LDS. Are you?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Why is everyone suggesting BYU over IU?

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm

danquayle wrote:Why is everyone suggesting BYU over IU?

Because BYU is one of the best values in the nation and places much better in biglaw and competitive markets than does IUB.

ETA: OP, a top-25% stipulation is terrible. Act like you won't keep it past 1L; not trying to be discouraging, but none of us really know how we're going to do in LS.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm

no offense to the OP or anyone who has received scholarship money from Indiana, you guys have all deserved it, but....

does IU legit give full rides to each and every single student!!?? :shock: I see a new poster with one everyday

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

None of these really seem ideal for what you want to do / where you want to be. I know the R word gets thrown around a lot here, but if you can retake and score just 2 or 3 points higher you'd probably be in at GW (if you were rejected or waitlisted this cycle). Or at least BU which also has a decent IP program.

If it absolutely must be one of these schools, Emory seems to be the way to go; especially if you do the TI;GER program.

hokie

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:I can't imagine that I'd be able to consider BYU unless I were LDS. Are you?

I would think so since his tuition is only 9K per year (unless BYU does give a good amount of scholarships)

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm

damage-inc wrote:does IU legit give full rides to each and every single student!!?? :shock: I see a new poster with one everyday

IUB's financial resources:

IUB's chances of getting any of these students to accept their offer:

--ImageRemoved--

waitlisteddd

Postby waitlisteddd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59 pm

emory has a great opportunity for those pursuing IP. do it.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

Even though it definitely isn't ideal and I would imagine you have very little chance of getting DC from it, I'd take IU. I'm in a similar situation and have been researching IP law at IU. Doing IP (especially with an engineering background) really changes the career situation and from speaking to current IU IP students (WAY too many abbreviations with "I" in it :P ), landing a job at a Chicago IP firm is definitely possible, so I wouldn't be worried about being "stuck" in Indiana forever. Supposedly, they also have a career fair thing in DC as well, but I am much more skeptical about that.
Emory is certainly a close runner up. I just don't understand taking on a whole lot more debt for a slightly better chance at getting a job in DC.
Top 25% stipulation is nuts. I would definitely cross George Mason off the list, unless you have some rich uncle somewhere or something.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 am

rman1201 wrote:None of these really seem ideal for what you want to do / where you want to be. I know the R word gets thrown around a lot here, but if you can retake and score just 2 or 3 points higher you'd probably be in at GW (if you were rejected or waitlisted this cycle). Or at least BU which also has a decent IP program.

If it absolutely must be one of these schools, Emory seems to be the way to go; especially if you do the TI;GER program.

Yeah... I retook in feb and scored one point lower than my previous 167. And I'm on the WL at GW and BU. So... would another retake in June help me this cycle if I could get a 169-170?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:15 am

hurldes wrote:
rman1201 wrote:None of these really seem ideal for what you want to do / where you want to be. I know the R word gets thrown around a lot here, but if you can retake and score just 2 or 3 points higher you'd probably be in at GW (if you were rejected or waitlisted this cycle). Or at least BU which also has a decent IP program.

Yeah... I retook in feb and scored one point lower than my previous 167. And I'm on the WL at GW and BU. So... would another retake in June help me this cycle if I could get a 169-170?

It seems like it'd be a little late to help for this cycle, but the timing is perfect for the next one if you decide to try again next year. For right now just send them an LOCI and try for any additional LORs.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:22 am

If you're not LDS, wouldn't it be difficult to explain your choice to attend BYU? I think much of BYU's value comes from the LDS network, which is unique among law schools, and I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to go there if you're not LDS.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

ndirish2010 wrote:If you're not LDS, wouldn't it be difficult to explain your choice to attend BYU? I think much of BYU's value comes from the LDS network, which is unique among law schools, and I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to go there if you're not LDS.

I am LDS. I wouldn't really choose BYU for the LDS network, since I'd have that anywhere I go. I'm mostly considering it based on cost.
ATR wrote:

Because BYU is one of the best values in the nation and places much better in biglaw and competitive markets than does IUB.

Hmm... I've never heard that they place much better in biglaw than IU... how can I learn more about this?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:58 am

ATR wrote:

ETA: OP, a top-25% stipulation is terrible. Act like you won't keep it past 1L; not trying to be discouraging, but none of us really know how we're going to do in LS.

A better value than a full ride?

I'm just surprised that the determination that BYU > IU goes unchallenged here. BYU has somewhat stronger NLJ placement, but its reputation scores are far below IU's and I don't know that there are nearly as many proximate legal markets for BYU. I know tons of Mormons, and in speaking with them even they suggest the two are peer schools.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm

ATR wrote:
damage-inc wrote:does IU legit give full rides to each and every single student!!?? :shock: I see a new poster with one everyday

IUB's financial resources:

IUB's chances of getting any of these students to accept their offer:

--ImageRemoved--

I love how you people act like a law school giving out scholarships is a bad thing. How is it any different than what Irvine is doing? If a school does a good job in fund-raising, that's a great thing. That means the alumni are 1) doing well, and 2) attribute some degree of that success to their law school.

The school's making a massive push to improve itself. The only real way to do that is to improve the caliber of student at the school. The only reason HYS gets his massive rep is that HYS brings in the best caliber student. It's not like they impart any kind of special knowledge... firms just know where the talent is.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”