Alabama/Indiana$$$ vs Emory$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UA/IUB Vs. Emory

UA/IUB
64%
Emory
36%

Total votes: 14

JakeL

Alabama/Indiana$$$ vs Emory$

Postby JakeL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I've received scholarships at UA and IUB that pretty much cover all of tuition, and a 1/3 scholly at Emory. I know that everyone on here says just to go where you want to practice, but for me that's not really an option b/c I have no scholarships to peer schools in my preferred markets. I know none of these schools have national reach, but it is my impression that Emory has more prestige and would give me a slightly better chance at getting out.

My instinct is just to go to Alabama or Indiana where everything is dirt cheap and my debt will be very small upon graduation. However, I'm somewhat concerned that potential employees where I want to practice (specifically AK/rocky mountains/WA) aren't going to look past the name of the school on my resume. Does anyone think it's worth 100k more to go to Emory? Allegedly Emory does not negotiate, but at what point would it be worth it?

CanadianWolf

Re: Alabama/Indiana$$$ vs Emory$

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Doubtful that an Emory law degree would carry more weight in the Rocky Mountain region or Washington state than a law degree from Indiana.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Doubtful that an Emory law degree would carry more weight in the Rocky Mountain region or Washington state than a law degree from Indiana.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Why not just make separate options for Bama and IUB?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Do you think one of them is better than the other? My impression was that they are pretty much the same school but midwest vs south.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

JakeL wrote:Do you think one of them is better than the other? My impression was that they are pretty much the same school but midwest vs south.

IUB seems better than Bama.
But maybe thats just because Bama is in Alabama.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Sandro wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Doubtful that an Emory law degree or an IU-B degree would carry more enough weight in the Rocky Mountain region or Washington state than a law degree from Indiana.

FTFM.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Sandro wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Doubtful that an Emory law degree or an IU-B degree would carry more enough weight in the Rocky Mountain region or Washington state than a law degree from Indiana.

FTFM.

not helpful.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:32 pm

JakeL wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Sandro wrote:

FTFM.

not helpful.

It is if you somehow realize how tough getting a job in the PNW with an Emory degree is, so you sit it out a year, up the LSAT, apply to UW (or most any PNW school, for that matter) and go there.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

IUB.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

patrickd139 wrote:It is if you somehow realize how tough getting a job in the PNW with an Emory degree is, so you sit it out a year, up the LSAT, apply to UW (or most any PNW school, for that matter) and go there.

Dude I got WL'd at UW, have an LSAT at or above 75th. If you've been following the UW thread, a bump in my LSAT isn't going to help. They do not like low GPAs and give out practically no merit aid. Again. Not helping. And no, I am not paying half tuition at SU(SU's max scholly is 20k a year) when I can go somewhere Tier 1 for 1/3 the cost. Same with CU, got in there, but don't feel like paying 100k for that either.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Well, it does beg the question what about Colorado, Utah or Washington... but I get the impression you're not getting money from any of those schools. That being the case, I'd go with the best school that gave you a full ride. Emory is the best of the three, but not enough to justify the added money, particularly in that market. Indiana gets a slight rep bump over Bama, and I do know of plenty of Indiana law alumni in Colorado and Washington. But it's not like they have a pipeline there by any means.

I'd imagine all three schools put you in the same spot in your target market: They won't get you the job in of themselves, but they're good enough not to hurt you and be at worse a neutral factor.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it... go to Indiana. There are a surprising number of people that come to IU from the PNW, and surprising number that head out there. There's a ton of people from Utah for whatever reason, and I think Indiana's strong environmental program pulls in a lot of the same type of people that want to be in the PNW.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm trying to get into the exact same regions and (as of now) deciding b/w Emory, WUSTL, L&C and Loyola. I can't make up my mind. If I were you, I would take IUB, though. Might as well graduate with no debt and move out the PNW/Mountain West and just beat the block w/ your resume.

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 pm

If you are set on wanting to work in the Mountain West/Pacific, I'm not seeing what Alabama is going to get you. Alabama has a good reputation in the south, but I can't imagine it travels that far to the west. I also probably wouldn't attend Emory at that rate over Bama for any region if you're debt averse.

IUB would be my first choice if that's where you want to work.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Yes, I have ties in WA and AK. Probably should've included that in the initial post, but I'm not sure how heavily I should rely on them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”