What would you take over full tuition at MVP?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Half tuition at CCN
20%
Yale
40%
Stanford
32%
None of the above
8%

Total votes: 163

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 am

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Re: What would you take over full tuition at MVP?

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am

is this a joke? Yale.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 am

All of the above, plus H, plus DN with $$, plus CGB with $$$.

hokie

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 am

HYS.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 am

None of the above. 150K is a lot of fucking money.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 am

I know an attorney who went to Harvard at full price, and he says that, if he could do it all over again, he would have taken one of the full scholarships he got from lower-ranked top 14 schools. I believe he said he had full scholarships from Virginia, Duke, and Georgetown on the table.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:50 pm

EDIT: Deleted; missed the qualification in the original post. If you want clerkships and really white-shoe firms, you clearly want Yale. If you want to do BigLaw long-term, you'll get it at Yale, and the tuition won't matter.

But ... why on Earth would you want to?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Lawlcat wrote:EDIT: Deleted; missed the qualification in the original post. If you want clerkships and really white-shoe firms, you clearly want Yale. If you want to do BigLaw long-term, you'll get it at Yale, and the tuition won't matter.

A Yale JD won't save you from getting Lathamed after a year in big law.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:None of the above. 150K is a lot of fucking money.

Not at Yale it's not. See next post

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawlcat wrote:EDIT: Deleted; missed the qualification in the original post. If you want clerkships and really white-shoe firms, you clearly want Yale. If you want to do BigLaw long-term, you'll get it at Yale, and the tuition won't matter.

Yes, but you won't have to worry about having to repaying student loans if that happens... See http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/coap.htm

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:40 pm

Based on the choices presented in your poll: Yale, Stanford & half tuition at Chicago as well as half tuition at Columbia.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:52 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:

Desert Fox wrote:

Yes, but you won't have to worry about having to repaying student loans if that happens... See http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/coap.htm

Yes 150K is a lot of money even at Yale. If you get big law out of MVP, you'll have the same salary with 150K less debt. That's half a condo.

But touche' about the their loan plan.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Desert Fox wrote:

Yes 150K is a lot of money even at Yale. If you get big law out of MVP, you'll have the same salary with 150K less debt. That's half a condo.

But touche' about the their loan plan.

I almost see Yale’s COAP as insurance for the law school investment. If you get biglaw out of Yale (and your odds are much, much better there than at MVP (obviously)), then the $150k in debt isn’t that big of a deal because you’re making a boatload of cash anyways. If you don’t get biglaw (or some high paying job), you don’t pay for school. They even pay for part of your undergrad loans. Sounds like a great deal to me. I mean it’s almost like investing in a riskless investment on margin. If it doesn’t pay off, you pretty much don’t have to worry about repaying the debt. You’re right that you are better off getting biglaw out of MVP and saving that $150k, but I personally think taking the $150k almost riskless gamble is the better option because it is practically riskless and your odds are a shitload better of actually getting biglaw. And in the end, you get to say you went to YALE law school for the rest of your life, as oppose to, e.g., University of Virginia. There’s definitely a LOT more prestige in having graduated from YALE, as oppose to MVP.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:is this a joke? Yale.

I think the OP is asking what the lowest threshold would be for someone to decline the full tuition deal--not which of these someone should choose. For instance, if you didn't get into Yale, but got half $ at CCN, would you take that, or would you have to get into Stanford (#2) or Yale (#1) for it to be worth the money? Obviously, Yale is the most prestigious of the choices.

As someone with this very choice (minus Y/S) I have to say those who would take half tuition at CCN baffle me a bit, and strike me as too prestige oriented. If you are paying for law school entirely with loans, there's a big difference between the 100-150k debt you will still take on at CCN with a half scholly, and 50k with an MVP full scholly--and I don't know if the gap between CCN and MVP is enough to justify that difference ITE. But I'm willing to hear opinions to the contrary.

At the very least, I imagine very few people would take CCN at sticker over this, right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”