Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which do I choose?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 pm

WUSTL w/20k
10
48%
Reapply ED Northwestern
11
52%
Reapply ED to another T-14
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby Icculus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Non traditional, 7yrs WE, 2.79/173 that applied late in the cycle (was waiting on the December LSAT, didn't go complete at most schools until January). I would like to practice in NYC, DC, Boston, or Chicago. As of now the only acceptance I have gotten that seems worth attending is WUSTL w/20k. Just got rejected from BC which I was holding out hope for, and I figure most of the decisions I am still waiting for will be rejects or wait list (see profile). The questions I have for TLS is should I take the WUSTL money or reapply in a year and ED to a T-14 and just assume I will get reaccepted to WUSTL w/ similar money. I have a job and could use the year to pay off credit card debt. Would applying that much earlier make that big of a difference in the cycle? For what it's worth, while I am non-trad I have no wife, no kids, no mortgage, and no unbreakable ties to my current city (Boston) other than living here my whole life. Open to a change in city.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 pm

wait and ed to NU. You should be in and it's much better than WUSTTTL even at 20k/y.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 pm

I say ED to NU because of three things.

1.) 173 LSAT - This is a huge number for NU.
2.) 7 years WE - They value this more than anyone
3.) Your regional preference. WUSTL is good for Chi, but obviously NU is better, and NU gives you a better chance at NYC, Boston, and DC.
Last edited by FuManChusco on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 pm

byamargin wrote:With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.


this is wrong

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 am

FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.


this is wrong

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
As I said, getting into NU with a 2.79 is plausible, but highly unlikely without an unusual WE. More likely than not, you'll be WL'ed.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 am

byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.


this is wrong

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
As I said, getting into NU with a 2.79 is plausible, but highly unlikely without an unusual WE. More likely than not, you'll be WL'ed.


He said he would ED. That shows both ED+RD. ED=/=RD. Thus you wrong.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:
byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.


this is wrong

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
As I said, getting into NU with a 2.79 is plausible, but highly unlikely without an unusual WE. More likely than not, you'll be WL'ed.


He said he would ED. That shows both ED+RD. ED=/=RD. Thus you wrong.

Interesting reasoning. I particularly liked the use of stats to support your clear conclusion.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 am

FiveSermon wrote:
byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:With that GPA, I wouldn't hold my breath on NU next cycle unless your work experience is truly exceptional.

You got into the best law school you could get with this GPA and with a decent scholly. WashU, I say.


this is wrong

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
As I said, getting into NU with a 2.79 is plausible, but highly unlikely without an unusual WE. More likely than not, you'll be WL'ed.


He said he would ED. That shows both ED+RD. ED=/=RD. Thus you wrong.


In addition to the fact that there isn't a large enough sample size to make any kind of conclusion. Also, the fact that there are multiple 2.x/172+ TLS users that ED'ed to NU and got in. I guess byamargin just knows everything though, even if he was incorrect about one of the most highly discussed topics on TLS.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am

byamargin wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
this is wrong

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
As I said, getting into NU with a 2.79 is plausible, but highly unlikely without an unusual WE. More likely than not, you'll be WL'ed.


He said he would ED. That shows both ED+RD. ED=/=RD. Thus you wrong.

Interesting reasoning. I particularly liked the use of stats to support your clear conclusion.

Interesting post. I particularly like the part where you're an idiot.

Image

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 am

FuManChusco wrote:In addition to the fact that there isn't a large enough sample size to make any kind of conclusion. Also, the fact that there are multiple 2.x/172+ TLS users that ED'ed to NU and got in. I guess byamargin just knows everything though, even if he was incorrect about one of the most highly discussed topics on TLS.

You can engage in endless conversations about it and other subjects on the site where "ED at UVa" is the new "sup?" Graphs from previous cycles show that at the very least it would be a big gamble and OP, even if gets in next year, would end up paying sticker.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections. PLUS, there's only one acceptance for a sub 3 GPA with an LSAT at OP's range. But what do I know.
Last edited by byamargin on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

OP here, and I am aware of the boost ED gives you at NU, which is why I specified it. For those people who think WUSTL w/ the $$, it seems like if I reapply next cycle I would at least be in and probably get some $$, so I guess the question is whether it's worth risking a smaller scholarship for a chance at T-14. And while it would be sticker, NU would at least give me a chance at employment that would allow me to pay it back.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 am

byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections.


the funny thing is, the only two users on that page in the 2.8-/172+ range that ED'ed both got in. You're really starting to sound stupid.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 am

mjcaccio wrote:OP here, and I am aware of the boost ED gives you at NU, which is why I specified it. For those people who think WUSTL w/ the $$, it seems like if I reapply next cycle I would at least be in and probably get some $$, so I guess the question is whether it's worth risking a smaller scholarship for a chance at T-14. And while it would be sticker, NU would at least give me a chance at employment that would allow me to pay it back.

Seems like you made up your mind and are seeking reassurance. Good luck with your cycle.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am

FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections.


the funny thing is, the only two users on that page in the 2.8-/172+ range that ED'ed both got in. You're really starting to sound stupid.

Are you aware of the fact that this table is sorted in order of admission decisions, i.e. Accptance+Attending will get you a spot In this segment of the table? It's not a representation of the complete application poll, Mr. ill informed 0L.
Last edited by byamargin on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 am

FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections.


the funny thing is, the only two users on that page in the 2.8-/172+ range that ED'ed both got in. You're really starting to sound stupid.

~20% of LSN ED admits last year had <3.0 gpas. ~70% were below northwestern's 25% GPA. you're right, though. northwestern clearly hates low gpas.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 am

byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections.


the funny thing is, the only two users on that page in the 2.8-/172+ range that ED'ed both got in. You're really starting to sound stupid.

Are you aware of the fact that this table is sorted in order of admission decisions, i.e. Accptance+Attending will get you a spot In this segment of the table? It's not a representation of the complete application poll, Mr. ill informed 0L.


hahaha, look at the graph idiot. there are zero users in that range of numbers that ED'ed and got rejected. you are dumber than a rock. the same thing can be said about this year's cycle on LSN.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

fatduck wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections.


the funny thing is, the only two users on that page in the 2.8-/172+ range that ED'ed both got in. You're really starting to sound stupid.

~20% of LSN ED admits last year had <3.0 gpas. ~70% were below northwestern's 25% GPA. you're right, though. northwestern clearly hates low gpas.

the 70% figure is irrelevant given the fact that NU's 25%ile is like 0.8 higher than OP's GPA. The first figure is encouraging, especially if OP feels lucky.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

mjcaccio wrote:Non traditional, 7yrs WE, 2.79/173 that applied late in the cycle (was waiting on the December LSAT, didn't go complete at most schools until January). I would like to practice in NYC, DC, Boston, or Chicago. As of now the only acceptance I have gotten that seems worth attending is WUSTL w/20k. Just got rejected from BC which I was holding out hope for, and I figure most of the decisions I am still waiting for will be rejects or wait list (see profile). The questions I have for TLS is should I take the WUSTL money or reapply in a year and ED to a T-14 and just assume I will get reaccepted to WUSTL w/ similar money. I have a job and could use the year to pay off credit card debt. Would applying that much earlier make that big of a difference in the cycle? For what it's worth, while I am non-trad I have no wife, no kids, no mortgage, and no unbreakable ties to my current city (Boston) other than living here my whole life. Open to a change in city.


Is the 20K total or per year? If total, sit out and reapply. If per year, do you have enough savings to make the cost worth?

If you are currently having a job, I don't see the risk of sitting out a year. Take a year off to work and save money. Apply ED next year either to Northwestern or even UVA (hope your stellar LSAT will make up for your GPA).

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

byamargin wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image

Oops you conveniently forgot to include the hundreds of ED rejections. PLUS, there's only one acceptance for a sub 3 GPA with an LSAT at OP's range. But what do I know.

Image

see above re: "hundreds of ED rejections"

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 am

tea_drinker wrote:
mjcaccio wrote:Non traditional, 7yrs WE, 2.79/173 that applied late in the cycle (was waiting on the December LSAT, didn't go complete at most schools until January). I would like to practice in NYC, DC, Boston, or Chicago. As of now the only acceptance I have gotten that seems worth attending is WUSTL w/20k. Just got rejected from BC which I was holding out hope for, and I figure most of the decisions I am still waiting for will be rejects or wait list (see profile). The questions I have for TLS is should I take the WUSTL money or reapply in a year and ED to a T-14 and just assume I will get reaccepted to WUSTL w/ similar money. I have a job and could use the year to pay off credit card debt. Would applying that much earlier make that big of a difference in the cycle? For what it's worth, while I am non-trad I have no wife, no kids, no mortgage, and no unbreakable ties to my current city (Boston) other than living here my whole life. Open to a change in city.


Is the 20K total or per year? If total, sit out and reapply. If per year, do you have enough savings to make the cost worth?

If you are currently having a job, I don't see the risk of sitting out a year. Take a year off to work and save money. Apply ED next year either to Northwestern or even UVA (hope your stellar LSAT will make up for your GPA).


The 20k is per year, as for savings, I would pull the principle out of my pension plan (since I would probably never vest) and end up with about 12k in the bank after paying the tax and eliminating debt. If I wait a year I would have about 20k instead.

byamargin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby byamargin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 am

FuManChusco wrote:hahaha, look at the graph idiot. there are zero users in that range of numbers that ED'ed and got rejected. you are dumber than a rock. the same thing can be said about this year's cycle on LSN.

I lol'ed. My best advice to you would be taking classes in law school that do not require understanding tables, statistics, or interacting with humans.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

mjcaccio wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
mjcaccio wrote:Non traditional, 7yrs WE, 2.79/173 that applied late in the cycle (was waiting on the December LSAT, didn't go complete at most schools until January). I would like to practice in NYC, DC, Boston, or Chicago. As of now the only acceptance I have gotten that seems worth attending is WUSTL w/20k. Just got rejected from BC which I was holding out hope for, and I figure most of the decisions I am still waiting for will be rejects or wait list (see profile). The questions I have for TLS is should I take the WUSTL money or reapply in a year and ED to a T-14 and just assume I will get reaccepted to WUSTL w/ similar money. I have a job and could use the year to pay off credit card debt. Would applying that much earlier make that big of a difference in the cycle? For what it's worth, while I am non-trad I have no wife, no kids, no mortgage, and no unbreakable ties to my current city (Boston) other than living here my whole life. Open to a change in city.


Is the 20K total or per year? If total, sit out and reapply. If per year, do you have enough savings to make the cost worth?

If you are currently having a job, I don't see the risk of sitting out a year. Take a year off to work and save money. Apply ED next year either to Northwestern or even UVA (hope your stellar LSAT will make up for your GPA).


The 20k is per year, as for savings, I would pull the principle out of my pension plan (since I would probably never vest) and end up with about 12k in the bank after paying the tax and eliminating debt. If I wait a year I would have about 20k instead.


If I read this correctly, you will deplete your saving either way. So, sit out a year and ED to NW or UVA. Wash U will probably give you the same amount of money next year. Also, apply early next year may get you half- to full ride at lower ranked schools.

Edit: for typos
Last edited by tea_drinker on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Another What Should I Do Poll (WUSTL or Reapply)

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

byamargin wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:hahaha, look at the graph idiot. there are zero users in that range of numbers that ED'ed and got rejected. you are dumber than a rock. the same thing can be said about this year's cycle on LSN.

I lol'ed. My best advice to you would be taking classes in law school that do not require understanding tables, statistics, or interacting with humans.


I lol'ed. My best advice to you would be to get a clue.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests