Texas Tech Decision Deadline... April 1st?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LoyalRebel

Texas Tech Decision Deadline... April 1st?

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 pm

I got accepted to Texas Tech law school with a pretty attractive scholarship. However, I've learned that they want me to accept and make my first tuition payment on April first. Is this as ridiculous as I think it is? I haven't heard from half of the schools I've applied to, and I not even hear from them until May. I need all the information in order to make the correct decision.

Is this normal? Can deadlines like that be extended?

kalvano

Re: Texas Tech Decision Deadline... April 1st?

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:31 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:However, I've learned that they want me to accept and make my first tuition payment on April first. Is this as ridiculous as I think it is?

Yes.

Where else have you been accepted? Tech is not a very good choice.

legendkiller

Postby legendkiller » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:12 am

Most schools either have a April 1 or 15 deposit deadline. So, Tech's deadline is not abnormal

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

legendkiller wrote:Most schools either have a April 1 or 15 deposit deadline. So, Tech's deadline is not abnormal

Yes it is. Not for a deposit, but for a first tuition payment.

legendkiller

Postby legendkiller » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 am

Your first tuition payment normally is your deposit? I have not heard it phrased that way, but normally it is a deposit that goes towards your tuition as a 1L.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

Texas Tech has generated a pretty significant sprinkling of N.Mex. lawyers over the years. It's a better school than its rank would tend to indicate and might be a good deal if the OP is a Texas resident. The degree will sell particularly well in Eastern N.Mex., West Texas, and the Texas Panhandle. Of course, the only thing approximating BigLaw out there is Oil and Gas and that market waxes and wanes with the industry. At the moment, it seems to be waxing.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 am

That's funny. I posted the above before looking at the TLS profile of Texas Tech. I just went over it, though, and it says almost exactly what I said. I don't usually agree quite so closely with a school's profile. Anyway, the OP should read it for him/herself.

Oh, and Lubbock is easier to bear for a few years than you might think, especially given how fantastically cheap it is to live in.
Last edited by BeautifulSW on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 am

legendkiller wrote:Your first tuition payment normally is your deposit? I have not heard it phrased that way, but normally it is a deposit that goes towards your tuition as a 1L.

No. The deposit should be around $200. If Tech is asking for a partial tuition payment up front, that's pretty shady.

texas man

Postby texas man » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:08 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:I got accepted to Texas Tech law school with a pretty attractive scholarship. However, I've learned that they want me to accept and make my first tuition payment on April first. Is this as ridiculous as I think it is? I haven't heard from half of the schools I've applied to, and I not even hear from them until May. I need all the information in order to make the correct decision.

Is this normal? Can deadlines like that be extended?

This doesn't sound right. I would call the admissions office and talk to Stephen Perez to confirm what the deposit and tuition requirements are.

Last year, we had to make two deposits. The first was for $300 on March 24th. The second was for $500, and I believe it was due by June 30th. After school started, both deposits were refunded. If someone made the first deposit and decided not to attend, that deposit was refundable through April 2nd.

From my experience so far, the Law School is excellent in every respect; I agree with BeautifulSW's comments above. I encourage you to attend Admitted Students Day to meet the faculty and get a closer look at the facilities (if you haven't already visited).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”