UVA Full Scholarship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ivantheterbl

New

UVA Full Scholarship

Post by ivantheterbl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

So I received a full scholarship to UVA over all three years, no stipulations-- Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled, and being the needless worrier I am I began thinking about what other offers, if any, I would take over the UVA full scholarship. I would like to work in the DC area, and am leaning towards appellate litigation, but definitely don't have one track I set on. I was already rejected at Yale, but am still waiting to hear from Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. Also, I got 90k over three years to Chicago. Would people take H/S at sticker over the full ride? Chicago with the scholarship? I'm really conflicted and don't know what I would do.

YankeesFan

Silver

Re: UVA Full Scholarship

Post by YankeesFan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:08 pm

UVa owns the DC market, moreso than GTown IMO. Take the money and enjoy having your pick of job upon graduation.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

I'd take the full ride and run.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:13 pm

krad wrote:I'd take the full ride and run.
+1

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Full tuition scholarship at Virginia versus $90,000 at Chicago is the issue, in my estimation. Visit both & the choice should be easy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theLSATnemesis

New

Post by theLSATnemesis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm

ivantheterbl wrote:So I received a full scholarship to UVA over all three years, no stipulations-- Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled, and being the needless worrier I am I began thinking about what other offers, if any, I would take over the UVA full scholarship. I would like to work in the DC area, and am leaning towards appellate litigation, but definitely don't have one track I set on. I was already rejected at Yale, but am still waiting to hear from Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. Also, I got 90k over three years to Chicago. Would people take H/S at sticker over the full ride? Chicago with the scholarship? I'm really conflicted and don't know what I would do.
Eat shit....

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

ivantheterbl wrote:So I received a full scholarship to UVA over all three years, no stipulations-- Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled, and being the needless worrier I am I began thinking about what other offers, if any, I would take over the UVA full scholarship. I would like to work in the DC area, and am leaning towards appellate litigation, but definitely don't have one track I set on. I was already rejected at Yale, but am still waiting to hear from Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia. Also, I got 90k over three years to Chicago. Would people take H/S at sticker over the full ride? Chicago with the scholarship? I'm really conflicted and don't know what I would do.
Will you get any need-based aid at SLS/HLS? Some people have up to 40k a year at Stanford (and I think up to 30k a year at Harvard). Those number would maybe be enough to sway me from a full-ride at UVA.

Appellate lit is tough to get, though. I'd probably take UVA full-ride over SLS/HLS at sticker, but I'm pretty risk-averse.

ivantheterbl

New

Post by ivantheterbl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I doubt that I'd get any need based from either (I know they are more generous than most though)-- I am still claimed as a dependent on my parent's taxes and they do pretty well so I highly doubt it but I guess you never know.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm in somewhat of the same boat. Full ride, no stipulations at UVa, but just got into Harvard and up for a Levy at Penn. I'm very debt averse, so I'm leaning toward UVa. On top of that, my gf's top grad school choice is about an hour away from UVa. I'm going to all 3 of these schools ASW's to help me make the decision.

I think it all depends on the individual person. Some factors are more important than others. For me, graduating debt free is a very high priority. It means freedom upon graduation. For that reason, Harvard is great in theory but not in practice for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

slax wrote:I'm in somewhat of the same boat. Full ride, no stipulations at UVa, but just got into Harvard and up for a Levy at Penn. I'm very debt averse, so I'm leaning toward UVa. On top of that, my gf's top grad school choice is about an hour away from UVa. I'm going to all 3 of these schools ASW's to help me make the decision.

I think it all depends on the individual person. Some factors are more important than others. For me, graduating debt free is a very high priority. It means freedom upon graduation. For that reason, Harvard is great in theory but not in practice for me.
This is very solid advice. Congrats to both you and OP on some fantastic offers!

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

krad wrote:
slax wrote:I'm in somewhat of the same boat. Full ride, no stipulations at UVa, but just got into Harvard and up for a Levy at Penn. I'm very debt averse, so I'm leaning toward UVa. On top of that, my gf's top grad school choice is about an hour away from UVa. I'm going to all 3 of these schools ASW's to help me make the decision.

This is very solid advice. Congrats to both you and OP on some fantastic offers!
Agree. I would take UVA for free over your other choices probably (including Harvard/Stanford). But it does depend on the person. The job opportunities probably are not that different (if at all) between those schools, but some people do choose to pay up so they can look at their Harvard degree on their wall for the next 40 years and feel good about themselves or whatever. It comes down to what you want.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Thought of something else to add - Another consideration that may be important to you is cost of living. The UVa scholarship is tuition only, but rent close to campus is about half the cost as it would be at Harvard or NYU and Columbia. I have saved enough money to afford COL at UVa, but not a Boston or NYC school. This is another factor that weighs heavily in my decision, and may for you as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”