UGA vs Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

UGA vs Texas

Postby IgnatiusJ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm a resident in Georgia and currently my best options are going to UGA with a scholarship for 10g a year or Texas with 45k over 3 years but still paying the out of state tuition. I'm not sure where I want to practice when I get older, but i would like to keep my options open to returning to Atlanta at some point (due to personal reasons and all that good shit). Basically what I'm wondering is if a Texas degree has enough clout to travel throughout the Southeast and if the difference in quality between it and UGA is enough to merit paying the higher price. Thanks for the advice.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 am

Bump

I'd like to see the TLS input on this one. I am curious about a similar situation.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby 005618502 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 am

IgnatiusJ wrote:I'm a resident in Georgia and currently my best options are going to UGA with a scholarship for 10g a year or Texas with 45k over 3 years but still paying the out of state tuition. I'm not sure where I want to practice when I get older, but i would like to keep my options open to returning to Atlanta at some point (due to personal reasons and all that good shit). Basically what I'm wondering is if a Texas degree has enough clout to travel throughout the Southeast and if the difference in quality between it and UGA is enough to merit paying the higher price. Thanks for the advice.


168, 3.8 and these are your options? What about one of the many T14's that you could likely have gained admission to.

Did you apply very late? Those are solid numbers

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:07 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
IgnatiusJ wrote:I'm a resident in Georgia and currently my best options are going to UGA with a scholarship for 10g a year or Texas with 45k over 3 years but still paying the out of state tuition. I'm not sure where I want to practice when I get older, but i would like to keep my options open to returning to Atlanta at some point (due to personal reasons and all that good shit). Basically what I'm wondering is if a Texas degree has enough clout to travel throughout the Southeast and if the difference in quality between it and UGA is enough to merit paying the higher price. Thanks for the advice.


168, 3.8 and these are your options? What about one of the many T14's that you could likely have gained admission to.

Did you apply very late? Those are solid numbers


I know this is his thread, but I was 169, 3.7, and I didn't get into any T14s. I am waiting to hear back from Cornell, but UVA WLed me and Michigan isn't very eager to give me a decision, so I am fully expecting WL. I think I will get into Cornell, but I am not paying $50k a year just in tuition. I didn't apply to Berkeley, and I didn't see me having a shot at other T14s. I also got WLed at Vandy and Texas, but I have spoken to Dean Ingram, and she said I should be able to get off of the Texas WL and be eligible for possible in state equalization. I am in state for Georgia, and UGA Law offered me $10k a year, so I have narrowed it down to that and Texas (if Dean Ingram was being truthful).

lonestar
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby lonestar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:47 pm

So given your choices total cost of attendance is about 60K at UGA versus 135K at UT. In my mind you have a better shot at BigLaw out of UT since it's the primary school for both Dallas and Houston, but UGA is no slouch when it comes to Atlanta. That said, at 60K in debt we're talking roughly half the loan payment, so there is quite a bit more flexibility in what you do for a career post school. All of this leads me back to the same question. What is your goal? If BigLaw, I think the edge is to UT, with a focus on Alston Bird or other Atlanta firms, if not BigLaw UGA seems better for debt reasons.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

lonestar wrote:So given your choices total cost of attendance is about 60K at UGA versus 135K at UT. In my mind you have a better shot at BigLaw out of UT since it's the primary school for both Dallas and Houston, but UGA is no slouch when it comes to Atlanta. That said, at 60K in debt we're talking roughly half the loan payment, so there is quite a bit more flexibility in what you do for a career post school. All of this leads me back to the same question. What is your goal? If BigLaw, I think the edge is to UT, with a focus on Alston Bird or other Atlanta firms, if not BigLaw UGA seems better for debt reasons.


You have stated my conundrum perfectly. I think at this point, especially with the WL at Texas and there being no guarantee of a scholarship offer should I get admitted, UGA is safer. I wouldn't mind working in Atlanta, and although biglaw is a goal I would like to achieve, paying off my debt is my primary goal. I think I would be better off busting my ass at UGA for debt that would be a joke for biglaw salary and manageable for small and midlaw salaries rather than busting my ass at UT with biglaw being the only way to really manage my debt. Plus I am going to try to get a couple more thousand a year from UGA before I commit.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 pm

I think UT probably has the clout, but I think the cost is too much.

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby IgnatiusJ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, I'm still waiting to hear from Michigan and UChicago, but I'm not optimistic about either, and, yes, I did apply rather late in the process because my first LSAT score was well below my standards and had to retake.

I'm also still waiting on UCLA, USC, and Emory, but I think I would go to Texas over those unless one comes through with a substantial scholarship.

Anyway, tough shit for us eh Pricer?

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby bartleby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

go to Texas

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:Well, I'm still waiting to hear from Michigan and UChicago, but I'm not optimistic about either, and, yes, I did apply rather late in the process because my first LSAT score was well below my standards and had to retake.

I'm also still waiting on UCLA, USC, and Emory, but I think I would go to Texas over those unless one comes through with a substantial scholarship.

Anyway, tough shit for us eh Pricer?


Ha, you said it.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am

Bumping to see if anyone else has any input. I'm in at Texas now, and I have narrowed it down to these two schools.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby rapstar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 am

IMO, both of you should come to uga. i'm a 1L at uga right now and last cycle i turned down significant money from duke, uva, vandy, emory, gtown, etc. to take a full scholarship here. for both of you, it's going to cost so much less to come to georgia than texas. less debt won't force you into biglaw, which in the end may not even be an option out of either school. but, if you want to work biglaw in atlanta then i think that with good grades georgia can get you there. if you have any specific questions, i'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:08 am

UT all day. UT owns Texas. Quality of life in Austin is incredible, too. So many hot girls.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 am

Texas, unless you are set on staying in Georgia, then it becomes a toss up.

P.S. I love A Confederacy of Dunces

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby IgnatiusJ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Well I'm still hoping lightning strikes and I get into Chicago to make this whole thread moot, but thanks for the advice. I definitely have to visit Austin first before I make a decision, as I've heard
bartleby wrote:UT all day. UT owns Texas. Quality of life in Austin is incredible, too. So many hot girls.


from everyone I've told that I got into UT.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 pm

rapstar wrote:IMO, both of you should come to uga. i'm a 1L at uga right now and last cycle i turned down significant money from duke, uva, vandy, emory, gtown, etc. to take a full scholarship here. for both of you, it's going to cost so much less to come to georgia than texas. less debt won't force you into biglaw, which in the end may not even be an option out of either school. but, if you want to work biglaw in atlanta then i think that with good grades georgia can get you there. if you have any specific questions, i'd be happy to try to answer them for you.


I know that UGA is the most reasonable choice financially, but I would really like to work biglaw for a few years. I know I have a better shot going to UT. Also, I am interested in possibly doing environmental litigation, and I know there are clinics, programs, and journals to help with this at UT and plenty of companies that need these lawyers in Texas. That said, I also know that UGA would not require a biglaw salary to pay the debt, while UT would.

bartleby wrote:UT all day. UT owns Texas. Quality of life in Austin is incredible, too. So many hot girls.


The quality of life in Athens is great, as well. I have lived here five years and love it. I have heard many of my friends say that Austin's QoL is about the same, so I figure this is a toss up. Everyone keeps saying Austin and Athens are great places to live, and I can definitely agree with the latter.

As far as UT owning Texas, that is why I was initially interested in UT. If I go to UGA, I will be competing against grads from Duke, UVA, Emory, UNC, Wake Forest, GA State, Mercer, etc. for jobs in Atlanta. If I go to UT, my main opposition will be SMU in Dallas and U Houston in Houston.

CanadianWolf wrote:Texas, unless you are set on staying in Georgia, then it becomes a toss up.

P.S. I love A Confederacy of Dunces


I am not set on staying in Georgia. In fact, the whole reason I applied to other law schools was to possibly get out of Georgia for a while. I have lived here for 23 years. I wouldn't mind working in Atlanta, but I think I would be equally as happy in Dallas, Houston, or Austin. I would like to come back to Georgia and work in Atlanta when my parents are older so that I can be closer to them, but by then I hope I will have built up a strong enough resume that coming back shouldn't be a problem.

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby IgnatiusJ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

No Emory application for you Pricer?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 pm

bartleby wrote:UT all day. UT owns Texas. Quality of life in Austin is incredible, too. So many hot girls.


This guy must have low standards

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby IgnatiusJ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 pm

LAXBRO

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby TheFactor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm

bartleby wrote:UT all day. UT owns Texas. Quality of life in Austin is incredible, too. So many hot girls.

TIC

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: UGA vs Texas

Postby Pricer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:No Emory application for you Pricer?


I don't care for Emory too much. I don't know anyone personally who went there for law school, but I have several friends who went there for undergrad and hated it. Most transferred to UGA, one actually got his degree then moved to Athens because he didn't want to be anywhere around Emory ever again. I asked for a fee waiver and received it, but I never sent in the application. Plus, I don't see a big enough difference in employment prospects or prestige between Emory and UGA to justify the huge price difference.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: juzam_djinn, monsterman, UVA2B and 5 guests