Penn v. UMich v. UVA v. Duke v. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Too many options

UPenn ($ unsure/being considered for full tuition scholarship)
UMich ($67.5k)
UVA ($105k)
Duke ($70.5k)
No votes
Cornell ($135k)
NYU (?)
Georgetown ($60k)
Total votes: 32

Penn v. UMich v. UVA v. Duke v. Cornell

Postby legallyblonde11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm

I've been stalking the TLS forum for a while, but now that it's March and I am no closer to choosing a law school than I was in December, I thought it was time to post something and see if people can give me some insight into a few of these programs.

I'm interested in international business law - possibly trade or commercial arbitration/litigation. I'm not opposed to BigLaw but I also might like to work for the government at some point. Quality of life is a definite factor and I've been more concerned with that and curriculum than straight numerical rankings, but maybe that's stupid of me. How true is the claim that you should go to the best school you get into? Obviously money will be a factor as well.

Here are my thoughts on the schools I'm actively considering:

Penn: I like that it's urban with a focus on interdisciplinary education and they offer a fantastic dual degree (M.A. in International Affairs), but I wouldn't apply to that til next year so I definitely can't bank on getting in.

UMich: Pretty ideal (tons of international law course offerings and great externship opportunities), but I did my undergrad here so I would really rather go someplace new

UVA: LOVED it when I visited last year and could really see myself thriving in that environment, but they don't seem to offer nearly as wide a variety of international law coursework or study abroad/externship opportunities.

Duke/Cornell: I've been accepted to their dual degree programs (LLM in International/ Comparative Law). The curriculum seems ideal, especially Duke's. But I think I might hate Durham.

I really liked Cornell when I visited, but I get the impression that it's not very well regarded among the T14 in terms of prestige and job prospects.

Other options are NYU and Georgetown. NYU is the highest ranked school I've gotten into, but it will be very expensive and I think the international opportunities, though abundant, are all very competitive. I really liked Georgetown when I visited but I think because of its size, the job prospects may not be great. Fantastic international law program though.

Sorry this is so long. I hope some other people are dealing with the same dilemmas, so maybe they'll find this info helpful to them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I REALLY need to start narrowing this list down.

Re: Penn v. UMich v. UVA v. Duke v. Cornell

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

i'd say UVA or NYU depending on how willing you are to pay.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”