Applying With Your Significant Other Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mcweanis

Bronze

Re: Applying With Your Significant Other

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm

probably not - only if they knew the specifics of the program (it's a special major, you have to design it yourself, requires advanced credits in at least three departments, etc). i do think that since i wrote my essays about/my entire career plan revolves around PI law in gender/sexuality, it might show some consistency (or something).

my boyfriend double majored in psych and math, just fyi, and thinks this will give him a bump

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 pm

mcweanis wrote:probably not - only if they knew the specifics of the program (it's a special major, you have to design it yourself, requires advanced credits in at least three departments, etc). i do think that since i wrote my essays about/my entire career plan revolves around PI law in gender/sexuality, it might show some consistency (or something).

my boyfriend double majored in psych and math, just fyi, and thinks this will give him a bump
Great, so you both have unrealistic ideas of how difficult your UG courseloads were. Perfect match. Be happy with CLS and NYU.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:32 pm

paratactical wrote:
mcweanis wrote:probably not - only if they knew the specifics of the program (it's a special major, you have to design it yourself, requires advanced credits in at least three departments, etc). i do think that since i wrote my essays about/my entire career plan revolves around PI law in gender/sexuality, it might show some consistency (or something).

Great, so you both have unrealistic ideas of how difficult your UG courseloads were. Perfect match. Be happy with CLS and NYU.
i'm okay just being happy that i haven't posted on this forum 20,000 times, thanks

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:32 pm

paratactical wrote:

This is why I <3 you para.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm not clear on why we're thinking either of these folks are auto-admits at CLS. Both of those numbers were very marginal based on what seemed to be happening this year, particularly since they're both applying with no work experience. NYU is more likely, but don't count your chickens before they've hatched. And whoever brought up Harvard is looking at different numbers than I am.

Also, lulz at anyone giving a GPA bump to any school, let alone some random east coast liberal arts school. Where is Swarthmore anyhow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

i already got in to both columbia and nyu, and he already got in to nyu.

it's in swarthmore, pennsylvania :)

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:38 pm

and he is applying with two years of work experience, me with one, both at non-profits workin with kids in the ghett-o of philly

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:43 pm

What on earth was the point of this thread...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:45 pm

ahduth wrote:What on earth was the point of this thread...
I think this is a thread for her to brag about her relationship, her major, her GPA and her deep, meaningful experience with the ghetto.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:45 pm

i wanted to see how other people were dealing with negotiating where they get in/want to go with where their partners get in.. not specifically dissect my own situation. commiseration for the win!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 pm

mcweanis wrote:i already got in to both columbia and nyu, and he already got in to nyu.

why not both go to NYU, i don't understand.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm

99.9luft wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i already got in to both columbia and nyu, and he already got in to nyu.

i want a fancy ivy name :oops: and to not work in new york

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:49 pm

mcweanis wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

i want a fancy ivy name :oops: and to not work in new york
typical east coast pretense and/or selfishness. who gives a damn about an ivy, you're in grad school. NYU is not THAT much of a regional school, don't exaggerate.

ETA: If you're a serious couple, get engaged and go to NYU together. The End.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

i meant NYU is a more regional school, although that could be just my perception. we've only been together 7 months, so i don't really want to determine the next three years of my life based on him.. i'm just sort of hoping it works out

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 pm

mcweanis wrote:i meant NYU is a more regional school, although that could be just my perception. we've only been together 7 months, so i don't really want to determine the next three years of my life based on him.. i'm just sort of hoping it works out
:shock: :arrow: Image

You've gotta be trollin'.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 pm

paratactical wrote:
ahduth wrote:What on earth was the point of this thread...
I think this is a thread for her to brag about her relationship, her major, her GPA and her deep, meaningful experience with the ghetto.
I don't think the relationship is going to work out.

Part of it DF pointed out - 200k in debt plus 200k in debt equals... 400k in debt!

Part of it is just a general sense I get however. Let me know how much of this characterization sounds correct. Both of them are from upper middle class backgrounds, their parents paying for the portion of their college that wasn't covered by modest merit scholarships.

Applying to law school with a vague sense that they want to do something positive for the world, they're not sure exactly what however, and they both end up OCI'ing to corporate firms. By the end of law school they've drifted apart, with only the memories of their college experience and their WASP backgrounds in common.

If they do get in fact get married however, divorce comes within four years after a serial run of affairs by the guy.

Thoughts?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 pm

if you're not sure you're in a serious (marriage-worthy) relationship, why be in one? and also, i can almost guarantee it won't work out by the end of 1L year (you're highly likely to fall for a law student, regardless which school you choose). Law students hook up more than high school students. It's actually quite disgusting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Okay, hold on. So you are making the assumption that going to NYU = not being able to work outside of NY. Let's assume that's true for a moment. You do not want to work in NY. But you want him to go to a school that you believe will not allow him to work outside of NY. Where you you see this working out in the long run? Will he be relegated to playing Mr. Mom due to being unemployable outside the reach of his regional T6?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

mcweanis wrote:i meant NYU is a more regional school, although that could be just my perception.
That's just your perception sweetie. It's a top five school.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i meant NYU is a more regional school, although that could be just my perception.
I WON'T STAND FOR SUCH CHICAGO TROLLING!!!!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

ahduth wrote:
Her Gender Discourse professor said it's not fair to call womyn that!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

that's why i'm trying to choose on my own, independent of where he goes! but it's tough to doom a relationship like that.

btw, i am upper middle class whitey whose parents paid for my college; he is a urm who got need based aid and paid like $4,000 total for undergrad.

i dont want him to have to go to nyu; its just the only place he's gotten in so far

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
Yup, NYU's out-of-state employment statistics is very similar to that of CLS. Please research it.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 pm

mcweanis wrote:that's why i'm trying to choose on my own, independent of where he goes! but it's tough to doom a relationship like that.

btw, i am upper middle class whitey whose parents paid for my college; he is a urm who got need based aid and paid like $4,000 total for undergrad.

i dont want him to have to go to nyu; its just the only place he's gotten in so far
LULZ. He's a 3.6 173 URM? He's going to abandon you when he goes to YLS.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 pm

mcweanis wrote:that's why i'm trying to choose on my own, independent of where he goes! but it's tough to doom a relationship like that.

Priorities: decide the relationship (marriage/moving-in together in LS), then decide the LS.

Good relationships accomodate life changes and not visa versa.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”