Loyola (LA) or American? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
balls

New

Loyola (LA) or American?

Post by balls » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 pm

I want to work in California. But I might like DC a lot too and want to work there instead.

both are probably sticker price.

retake/reapply is not an option.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Loyola (LA) or American?

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I'd take a lower California school with a scholarship over Loyola. American seems dumb since you don't even know if you want to be in DC, just that you might. You know you want CA so take a CA school.

Have you exhausted all your retakes or is somebody pointing a gun to your head forcing you to go to law school this year?

balls

New

Post by balls » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:42 pm

bk187 wrote:I'd take a lower California school with a scholarship over Loyola. American seems dumb since you don't even know if you want to be in DC, just that you might. You know you want CA so take a CA school.

Have you exhausted all your retakes or is somebody pointing a gun to your head forcing you to go to law school this year?
i will literally...literally die if i do not go to law school in the fall.

literally.

thanks for the input, its a tough decision for me.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:15 am

how will you die exactly now?

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm

RockyIII wrote:how will you die exactly now?
youre focusing on the wrong things here, but if you must know...grenade.

those are my two options so far, and likely my final two options. i could go to santa clara or chapman, but...ya, no. I would love to get an east coast legal education. being there in DC would be amazing, especially when im financing it and taking out a 6 figure student loan. While i love cali, i might love DC too, who knows.

i tend to disregard the groupthink that plagues the tls forums, im looking for insight into this decision, not financial wisdom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 pm

balls wrote:

those are my two options so far, and likely my final two options. i could go to santa clara or chapman, but...ya, no. I would love to get an east coast legal education. being there in DC would be amazing, especially when im financing it and taking out a 6 figure student loan. While i love cali, i might love DC too, who knows.

i tend to disregard the groupthink that plagues the tls forums, im looking for insight into this decision, not financial wisdom.
East coast legal education? What does that even mean?

Go to the place you already know you, don't go to the place that you might like but might also hate.

Going to law school is a financial decision because it costs money (shit tons of money at that). As I said earlier, go to a lower school than Loyola with a scholarship if you aren't going to retake/reapply.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:

East coast legal education? What does that even mean?

Go to the place you already know you, don't go to the place that you might like but might also hate.

Going to law school is a financial decision because it costs money (shit tons of money at that). As I said earlier, go to a lower school than Loyola with a scholarship if you aren't going to retake/reapply.
oh cmon, what does an east coast legal education even mean?

it is a financial decision, obviously. but lets put that aside for a moment because money isnt everything.

as far as going to a place i already know, i dont know either. Ive never lived in LA or DC. i know LA is a part of socal, but i might not like LA much either. Loyola is not offering me ANY scholarship money, so the costs are roughly equal.

I dont want people to tell me what I want to hear, I just want people to think about a little adventure in DC for law school, or staying in LA at loyola and playing it safe.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

balls wrote:I dont want people to tell me what I want to hear, I just want people to think about a little adventure in DC for law school, or staying in LA at loyola and playing it safe.
6 figures worth of money and 3 years of your life that will likely put you in a position unable to pay it off sure sounds like an adventure to me no matter where you go.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:54 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:I dont want people to tell me what I want to hear, I just want people to think about a little adventure in DC for law school, or staying in LA at loyola and playing it safe.
6 figures worth of money and 3 years of your life that will likely put you in a position unable to pay it off sure sounds like an adventure to me no matter where you go.
youre kind of a dick huh?

you have over eight thousand posts on tls, which is amazing.

edit: in 1 year, sweet little baby jesus! 22 posts a day for 365 days straight! sweet life bro! no wonder youre upset.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 pm

balls wrote:youre kind of a dick huh?

If all of those posts had been in response to your question I still don't think you would realize what a bullheaded move you are potentially making.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:59 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:youre kind of a dick huh?

If all of those posts had been in response to your question I still don't think you would realize what a bullheaded move you are potentially making.
i might as well headbutt a sidewalk to death.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:00 pm

balls wrote:i might as well headbutt a sidewalk to death.
Excellent analogy for your law school options.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:i might as well headbutt a sidewalk to death.
Excellent analogy for your law school options.
why are you so upset? you just sound so down on life man. youre genuinely bitter and im not sure why. im just a random dude on a forum, and theres a way to say what youve said in a polite way, but youre just really unhappy. when im down on my luck ill ask my gf for a bj and a massage. you gotta find something to increase the quality of your life dude.

if you really wanna talk to someone you can pm me, seriously. i cant wrap my mind around you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:09 pm

balls wrote:why are you so upset? you just sound so down on life man. youre genuinely bitter and im not sure why. im just a random dude on a forum, and theres a way to say what youve said in a polite way, but youre just really unhappy. when im down on my luck ill ask my gf for a bj and a massage. you gotta find something to increase the quality of your life dude.

if you really wanna talk to someone you can pm me, seriously. i cant wrap my mind around you.
Not bitter, just trying to adequately convey your options to you.

You wanted advice, I gave it to you. You started off by being unreasonable (not being willing to take without giving a legitimate reason why that isn't possible) so I am unsurprised that actual sound advice hasn't actually resonated with you.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:why are you so upset? you just sound so down on life man. youre genuinely bitter and im not sure why. im just a random dude on a forum, and theres a way to say what youve said in a polite way, but youre just really unhappy. when im down on my luck ill ask my gf for a bj and a massage. you gotta find something to increase the quality of your life dude.

Not bitter, just trying to adequately convey your options to you.

You wanted advice, I gave it to you. You started off by being unreasonable (not being willing to take without giving a legitimate reason why that isn't possible) so I am unsurprised that actual sound advice hasn't actually resonated with you.
no way man, youre posts are turbo bitter. 10/10 bitter. it wasnt even advice. you just ignored my parameters and gave me higher than though, snobby opinion from a shit covered perch, like some angry vulture just crapping everywhere because life sucks for you, im guessing. just a guess. from my experience, happy people dont write like that, nor do they have the time to produce 8000 posts online in 12 months.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 pm

balls wrote:no way man, youre posts are turbo bitter. 10/10 bitter. it wasnt even advice. you just ignored my parameters and gave me higher than though, snobby opinion from a shit covered perch, like some angry vulture just crapping everywhere because life sucks for you, im guessing. just a guess. from my experience, happy people dont write like that, nor do they have the time to produce 8000 posts online in 12 months.
When your parameters have you choosing between two horrible options, the only real answer is to ignore the parameters.

Seriously though, spending $150-200k worth of debt at either of these schools is an awful idea. How can you justify doing that when you are likely to be making $50k/year or less upon graduation? Do you like living like an indebted peon?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

These aren't great options, but they arent THAT bad. I mean, going to a T3 or T4 at sticker is financial suicide, but this could potentially work out, though it's high risk. Also, maybe he isn't financing w/ loans? Maybe he has trust fund or savings or something.

Worst case scenario, OP can go to med school and become a shrink (obviously has an affinity for that line of work)

EDIT: nvm...i guess he is paying w/ loans

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:28 pm

bk187 wrote:
balls wrote:no way man, youre posts are turbo bitter. 10/10 bitter. it wasnt even advice. you just ignored my parameters and gave me higher than though, snobby opinion from a shit covered perch, like some angry vulture just crapping everywhere because life sucks for you, im guessing. just a guess. from my experience, happy people dont write like that, nor do they have the time to produce 8000 posts online in 12 months.
When your parameters have you choosing between two horrible options, the only real answer is to ignore the parameters.

Seriously though, spending $150-200k worth of debt at either of these schools is an awful idea. How can you justify doing that when you are likely to be making $50k/year or less upon graduation? Do you like living like an indebted peon?
ive been living like an indebted peon since i started undergrad, and i couldnt be happier. i have good friends, a smoking hot gf, awesome parents, i eat well and sleep well. its not about the money, its about quality of life, which i seriously doubt you understand. i dont need to make a ton of money. i could pay off my loans making 50k a year and live just fine. who knows, maybe ill even do well and get a 80k job! id be rich!
Last edited by balls on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:29 pm

crit_racer wrote:These aren't great options, but they arent THAT bad. I mean, going to a T3 or T4 at sticker is financial suicide, but this could potentially work out, though it's high risk. Also, maybe he isn't financing w/ loans? Maybe he has trust fund or savings or something.

Worst case scenario, OP can go to med school and become a shrink (obviously has an affinity for that line of work)

EDIT: nvm...i guess he is paying w/ loans
Was about to point that out. These options are that bad when you are taking over $150k in loans.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm

balls wrote:I have good friends, a smoking hot gf, awesome parents, i eat well and sleep well. its not about the money, its about quality of life, which i seriously doubt you understand. i dont need to make a ton of money. i could pay off my loans making 50k a year and live just fine. who knows, maybe ill even do well and get a 80k job! id be rich!
I'm not shitting on your decision to go to law school, but why would you go to law school if you're content with a 50k/year job? I mean, 7 years of school to make that kind of money? There has to be better options for a career.

Unless you love to argue and you feel you were always meant to be a lawyer........

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
balls wrote:I have good friends, a smoking hot gf, awesome parents, i eat well and sleep well. its not about the money, its about quality of life, which i seriously doubt you understand. i dont need to make a ton of money. i could pay off my loans making 50k a year and live just fine. who knows, maybe ill even do well and get a 80k job! id be rich!
I'm not shitting on your decision to go to law school, but why would you go to law school if you're content with a 50k/year job? I mean, 7 years of school to make that kind of money? There has to be better options for a career.

Unless you love to argue and you feel you were always meant to be a lawyer........
i think it fits well and i think i would do well as a lawyer. im interested in it, and to be honest, i think i could do better than 50k/year from either school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

balls wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

i think it fits well and i think i would do well as a lawyer. im interested in it, and to be honest, i think i could do better than 50k/year from either school.
If law school is a must, pick Loyola. While Cali and DC are both in the metaphorical toilet, American for DC is worse than Loyola for Cali, from what I understand. I could be wrong though.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
balls wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

If law school is a must, pick Loyola. While Cali and DC are both in the metaphorical toilet, American for DC is worse than Loyola for Cali, from what I understand. I could be wrong though.
i get that too. from what ive heard, both markets are in the dumps. however, i can certainly hope that in 3 years it will be better, but who knows, maybe it will be worse. there is evidence that seems to support that if you do well at loyola, you can get a good job in LA, and that if you do well at american, you can get a good job in DC. i would be excited for a DC education, it just sounds neat and fun.

but either way, i just want to go to law school and do my best.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Either school is going to require top grades to find a great job so in that sense it is a push between the two. Are you from California? From what I have heard LA is definitely not for everybody as it is more of a sprawl than a true metropolitan. If possible should definitely be visiting these two schools and not looking on TLS because as similar schools you need to decide where you would be most comfortable. The only way to do this is to go to LA and DC and see if you can live there for three years of school plus probably another 5 at least to solidify your career. Good luck!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Didn't read the entire thread, but OP: Law school is professional school, not vacation school. Go to Loyola LA if you want to practice in California. If you're trolling, not a bad job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”