Chicago vs. Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TTH

Re: Chicago vs. Harvard

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:42 pm

drylo wrote:
TTH wrote:The definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3308682/tlsarchive/chicago.htm

Alternatively, you go to HLS, end up working at some NYC firm alongside your buddy who went to Chicago because he was "too dumb" to get into HLS, realize that you could be in exactly the same position you are in but without the $2k debt payments every month if you had gone to Chicago... so you go on TLS and write "the definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago" to validate your decision.

u mad?

drylo

Postby drylo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 pm

TTH wrote:
drylo wrote:
TTH wrote:The definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3308682/tlsarchive/chicago.htm

Alternatively, you go to HLS, end up working at some NYC firm alongside your buddy who went to Chicago because he was "too dumb" to get into HLS, realize that you could be in exactly the same position you are in but without the $2k debt payments every month if you had gone to Chicago... so you go on TLS and write "the definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago" to validate your decision.

u mad?

No. Just pointing out that however amusing (and creative) that story may be, it is nothing more than an appeal to egotistical elitism. It is certainly not "the definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago" for anyone who cares about making a decision based on relevant factors.

Where do you go to school? 1L at Berk?

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:37 pm

drylo wrote:
TTH wrote:
u mad?

No. Just pointing out that however amusing (and creative) that story may be, it is nothing more than an appeal to egotistical elitism. It is certainly not "the definitive post on Harvard vs. Chicago" for anyone who cares about making a decision based on relevant factors.

Nah, bro. u mad

Would it help at all if I told you I didn't write that and it's seven-year old post from autoadmit?

That all being said, the money at Chicago is tempting, especially if one wants to go BigLaw. Plus, the chance to learn from Posner, Epstein, and Easterbrook would be cool, even if you're not a conservative.

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Epstein is at NYU these days

drylo

Postby drylo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 pm

TTH wrote:
drylo wrote:
TTH wrote:
u mad?

Nah, bro. u mad

Would it help at all if I told you I didn't write that and it's seven-year old post from autoadmit?

That all being said, the money at Chicago is tempting, especially if one wants to go BigLaw. Plus, the chance to learn from Posner, Epstein, and Easterbrook would be cool, even if you're not a conservative.

LOL you thought that I thought you wrote that... I'm not an idiot.

(And you ignored my question...)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 pm

jcn4 wrote:Epstein is at NYU these days

He splits time, I believe. He's teaching Civ Pro II at Chicago next quarter.

I don't know how much you care about meeting teachers, but Chicago is neat in that they give money to professors to take you out to lunch (if you ask). I've gone out to lunch with a few professors and it's really an enjoyable experience. Not to mention it's likely easier to get a RA job with a certain professor you like because there isn't as much competition.

I enjoy my experience at Chicago (despite me procrastinating my studying for tests I have in.. 4 days...) but I've never been to Harvard. If NALP #s mean anything, maybe a smaller school does better in this economy and therefore $75k might be worthwhile to go to Chicago instead.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”