Wake v. FSU v. W&M

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Ok, so I recently received a 20k/yr scholly from Wake(top 2/3rds; keep 1/2 if fall below that). I have a 10k/yr scholly from FSU (no stips). And, I am hoping to get accepted to W&M (with no hope of scholly).

I have visited both Wake and FSU and really felt comfortable at both places.

From what I can tell getting in state tuition from FSU after 1L is a pretty clear-cut process. Therefore, I would be paying
1L- 43K- COA
2L- 23K
3L- 23K
GT=89K

Wake would be 37K- COA x3yrs. GT=111K

W&M would be GT=150k (I do not think it is easy to get in state status in VA (correction appreciated))

I want to do environmental law....preferably EPA. EDIT: I'm also interested in immigration law. I know a lot of people change their goals during school.

Comments/opinions on the best choice?

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am

I'm a 0L who lives in the Northeast so please take all my opinions with a large grain of salt and spoonful of castor oil.

First of all, if you haven't heard from W&M yet, it's probably a WL/ding (I don't mean to sound harsh, they're my first choice and I'm hoping too, but let's be real, it's not likely).

Between FSU and Wake, I'd personally take Wake in this case. The cost difference isn't tremendous (and frankly, looking at rents etc, I think one can live cheaply at Wake and reduce overall COA. This may also be the case for FSU) and Florida is such an over saturated market between UF, FSU, Miami, etc etc. Unless you have a specific desire to work in FL, my call would be for Wake.

Also, I'll probably be there and I want you to help me adjust to the differences between CT and NC ;)

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:11 am

snapdragon dont lose hope. I think you OP has a shot at W&M. They have only let in people with above 75 lsats and median gpa's so far that ive seen on this board, sans me, but i think that my circumstances were different. I think they are still figuring out their yield and will be offering more acceptances mid march

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 am

Go where you'll want to practice :)

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am

snapdragon wrote:First of all, if you haven't heard from W&M yet, it's probably a WL/ding (I don't mean to sound harsh, they're my first choice and I'm hoping too, but let's be real, it's not likely).


Also, I'll probably be there and I want you to help me adjust to the differences between CT and NC ;)


haha yeah I am prepared for a WL/ding but trying to be hopeful as well. I will definitely be honored to help you transition :-)

The cost of moving to FL, coupled with the distance from my family (my dad is in shoddy health), is keeping Wake at the top. I would love to get out of NC though, lol. As it stands I'm only an hour and fifteen minutes from Wake.

TyrodTaylor wrote:I think you OP has a shot at W&M.


I appreciate your encouragement and hope you are right! However, would W&M be worth sticker over Wake?

FeelTheHeat wrote:Go where you'll want to practice :)


That didn't really work out for me, lol. I want to practice in DC but got WL at George Mason and UMD didn't give me any money. :-(

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 am

Bah, completely forgot about you telling me that. I'm surprised you want to leave NC? I always hear how nice it is up there...

Its a tough one, cause you want to be in DC. I would say Wake, but I know the feeling of wanting to go someplace new so I completely sympathize with that lol. I don't want to give any ignorant advice without knowing WF placement stats for DC, I'll come back when I have facts supporting me. Regardless, congrats on the Wake scholly!

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:31 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Bah, completely forgot about you telling me that. I'm surprised you want to leave NC? I always hear how nice it is up there...

Its a tough one, cause you want to be in DC. I would say Wake, but I know the feeling of wanting to go someplace new so I completely sympathize with that lol. I don't want to give any ignorant advice without knowing WF placement stats for DC, I'll come back when I have facts supporting me. Regardless, congrats on the Wake scholly!


NC is a nice place to live, but I was born and raised here..aside from 7 years in CT, I've spent a lot of time here. Where do you find statistics about placement? I know people talk about the NLJ 250 for biglaw, which you have to have a premium subscription to access...but what other resources are there?

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby TheFactor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Bah, completely forgot about you telling me that. I'm surprised you want to leave NC? I always hear how nice it is up there...

Its a tough one, cause you want to be in DC. I would say Wake, but I know the feeling of wanting to go someplace new so I completely sympathize with that lol. I don't want to give any ignorant advice without knowing WF placement stats for DC, I'll come back when I have facts supporting me. Regardless, congrats on the Wake scholly!


NC is a nice place to live, but I was born and raised here..aside from 7 years in CT, I've spent a lot of time here. Where do you find statistics about placement? I know people talk about the NLJ 250 for biglaw, which you have to have a premium subscription to access...but what other resources are there?

google "biglaw placement"

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Looking up biglaw is silly for these places, as their placement is so small its negligible at best...I don't think the OP has biglaw aspirations. Working on finding useful statistics.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 pm

15% at W&M for biglaw. i havnt sene it in a few days but wasnt wake around 12 or 13%. small , but not negligible

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby Mattfl88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:12 pm

I would choose FSU. The cost difference isn't much but that no stips could come in handy because you never know what can happen.

Also, FSU has a very strong environmental program. Also with the state government located there in Tallahassee, I would say there would be more opportunity for government work in a large state that could help lead to a job with EPA.

In regards to the over saturated market, yes there are a ton of law schools in FL. But once you get below the top 4 it doesn't seem to matter except in those specific cities and then UF/FSU/UM/Stetson grads would still be competitive at the least.

I just think that FSU could give you a good background in environmental law and you could find opportunities within FL state government which could lead you to DC.

North Carolina is beautiful and I wouldn't mind living and practicing there as well though.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake v. FSU v. W&M

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:25 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Looking up biglaw is silly for these places, as their placement is so small its negligible at best...I don't think the OP has biglaw aspirations. Working on finding useful statistics.


Yeah not interested in big law. I would not be opposed to working at a firm that specializes in environmental law though.
Mattfl88 wrote:I would choose FSU. The cost difference isn't much but that no stips could come in handy because you never know what can happen.

Also, FSU has a very strong environmental program. Also with the state government located there in Tallahassee, I would say there would be more opportunity for government work in a large state that could help lead to a job with EPA.

In regards to the over saturated market, yes there are a ton of law schools in FL. But once you get below the top 4 it doesn't seem to matter except in those specific cities and then UF/FSU/UM/Stetson grads would still be competitive at the least.

I just think that FSU could give you a good background in environmental law and you could find opportunities within FL state government which could lead you to DC.

North Carolina is beautiful and I wouldn't mind living and practicing there as well though.



Yes this the big draw for FSU. Wake has very very few environmental classes. The only concern about FL is that my husband wants to be uniformed SS in DC when he gets out of the Army. I hate making decisions lol.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests