Georgetown vs. Temple vs. Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Evrydyhonestliar

Georgetown vs. Temple vs. Villanova

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Okay, so I'm UG at Villanova. I love it in the area and love Philadelphia in general. I'm still holding out for Penn (where I'm held) but if that doesn't go through I feel like I should start thinking about this big bad decision. I should be hearing about schollys this week from Nova and Temple.

Thoughts?

Veyron

Re: Georgetown vs. Temple vs. Villanova

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Seriously?

handlesthetruth

Postby handlesthetruth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 am

:shock:

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:09 am

Is this that ridiculous of a question?

handlesthetruth

Postby handlesthetruth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 am

Do you have full rides at Temple and 'Nova? And are 100% dead set on Philly?

If yes to both questions, then perhaps not THAT ridiculous I guess...

hokie

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:30 am

Dude are you serious?????? Of course Villanova; they have some of the best reported stats for their ranking/region. geshhhhhhhhh

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am

I love how the anti-GULC trolling ends when it gets compared to T2s. All of a sudden GULC is worth it.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:40 am

Nova shouldn't be in the equation IMO. I take Temple with a LOT of $, no stips, and assuming you are 100% set on Philly for life over GULC and take GULC in every other scenario.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 am

You should be a lock for a full ride at both Temple and Nova, for what it's worth.

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Georgetown.

That's coming from someone who is in at Villanova, waiting on Temple, and who is seriously interested in both (I'm flying to Philly in two weeks). If I was accepted to Georgetown, it wouldn't even be a debate.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:00 am

Veyron wrote:Seriously?

+1

I mean, damn, who would wait on a TTT like UPenn.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

+1

You would if you had the numbers.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 am

HeavenWood wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

+1

:roll:

I am starting to realize why so many lost souls are wandering on TLS without jobs from top schools. Lot of special types here.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

+1

I am starting to realize why so many lost souls are wandering on TLS without jobs from top schools. Lot of special types here.

Cool story, brah.

OP: Only take Temple/Villanova if they offer you full rides. You shouldn't have a problem getting back to Philly from Georgetown with strong ties. Quite frankly, with those numbers you may be better off reapplying early next cycle (I assume you applied late).

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 am

GULC

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:09 pm

I vote Barry.

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:37 pm

I applied mid November actually (which I know on TLS is late, but in the real world is quite early). Held and Penn and Columbia. Really don't want to leave the mid-atlantic area. My scholly info (if there is any) is sitting in my mailbox at my apartment, while I'm home visiting my parents. So, I guess its a waiting game until Sunday.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:I applied mid November actually (which I know on TLS is late, but in the real world is quite early). Held and Penn and Columbia. Really don't want to leave the mid-atlantic area. My scholly info (if there is any) is sitting in my mailbox at my apartment, while I'm home visiting my parents. So, I guess its a waiting game until Sunday.

Ah, for some reason I thought you had applied much later than that.

Unless you get into Penn or Columbia (or get full rides to Temple or Villanova), I would advise waiting until next year. Blanket the lower half of the T14, plus apply to BU/BC/GW for potential scholly leverage. Temple's a good school, but with your numbers, you're capable of doing much better. With your ties, you shouldn't have an issue attending school outside the immediate area.

Georgetown51

Postby Georgetown51 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:Okay, so I'm UG at Villanova. I love it in the area and love Philadelphia in general. I'm still holding out for Penn (where I'm held) but if that doesn't go through I feel like I should start thinking about this big bad decision. I should be hearing about schollys this week from Nova and Temple.

Thoughts?

As a soon to graduate 3L from T6, I would say to take Temple. The amount of debt you would take on simply is not worth it. Will it be more difficult to establish yourself in the legal community? Will job options be more limited? Will you ask "what could have been"? Yes to all of these. BUT you will have $200k in your pocket that you otherwise would not. If you want to stay in the Philly area, I honestly think Temple is the smartest choice.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:25 am

Georgetown51 wrote:
Evrydyhonestliar wrote:Okay, so I'm UG at Villanova. I love it in the area and love Philadelphia in general. I'm still holding out for Penn (where I'm held) but if that doesn't go through I feel like I should start thinking about this big bad decision. I should be hearing about schollys this week from Nova and Temple.

Thoughts?

As a soon to graduate 3L from T6, I would say to take Temple. The amount of debt you would take on simply is not worth it. Will it be more difficult to establish yourself in the legal community? Will job options be more limited? Will you ask "what could have been"? Yes to all of these. BUT you will have $200k in your pocket that you otherwise would not. If you want to stay in the Philly area, I honestly think Temple is the smartest choice.
Please, continue.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:38 pm

double post
Last edited by nealric on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm

I think that's the penny wise and pound foolish choice. Yes 200k is a ton of debt to be taking on, but I've met far too many Temple grads toiling away in the doc review sweatshops or doing truly awful work.

IMO, it's much better to be in biglaw with 200k of debt than doing doc review with no debt.

Disclosure: I graduated from GULC.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:32 pm

[/quote]

I am starting to realize why so many lost souls are wandering on TLS without jobs from top schools. Lot of special types here.[/quote]

Cool story, brah.

OP: Only take Temple/Villanova if they offer you full rides. You shouldn't have a problem getting back to Philly from Georgetown with strong ties. Quite frankly, with those numbers you may be better off reapplying early next cycle (I assume you applied late).[/quote]

Philly biglaw is a ghost town bro. Even a median kid from P would have difficulty going to Philly.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Veyron wrote:Philly biglaw is a ghost town bro. Even a median kid from P would have difficulty going to Philly.

OK, but all things being equal, would a Temple grad have an advantage over a Georgetown grad?

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:12 pm

I've decided this decision is too difficult, and instead, whichever school gets further in the NCAA tournament is my school! I'm kidding...(I think)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”