Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby boom_cs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Just curious about the difference in the job prospects for NC coming out of these three schools.

I grew up in Winston Salem, went to undergrad at UNC

Any notes or thought would be appreciated.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby TheFactor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:13 pm

UNC > Wake >>>>> Campbell

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

For Charlotte, perhaps Wake would be slightly better? Since you're from Winston-Salem, would it reduce COL to live there (besides the fact that it's cheaper to live there than Chapel Hill in general)?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Wake and UNC are peers so attend whichever is cheapest in terms of COA.

boom_cs
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby boom_cs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Yeah but i would not live with my parents because I just could not handle that. But WS is so much cheaper than Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

I have been admitted to Wake, hoping for a scholly, still waiting to hear back from UNC and just curious if Campbell is worth an application cost

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby almightypush » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 pm

TheFactor wrote:UNC > Wake >>>>> Campbell


+1. here in NC, UNC is the best school not named Duke you're going to attend for law.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby PDL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby showNprove » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

No, Campbell is not worth the application cost. If you get into UNC, take it. If you have in-state tuition, it's no contest.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby tarheel87 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 pm

In terms of job placement I would say UNC and Wake are pretty comparable, might even give the edge to Wake (example: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674). But UNC has two things going for it that will skew things a lot of the time: cheaper tuition and an awesome location in Chapel Hill. Tuition being equal I'd say go with Wake, but there definitely isn't enough of a difference to justify sticker at Wake over in-state tuition at UNC.

People that talk about UNC's alumni network or Wake's mobility are retarded, neither is relevant. Wake's mobility is due to its geographically diverse class and UNC sends just as many people out of state anyways. And UNC's big alumni network is cancelled out by an oversized class and Wake's more loyal alumni. The two schools are equals in both departments.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm

2009, wake forest beat unc in NLJ 250 placement. Something like 18%-17%.
2009, wake forest beat the shit out of UNC in Federal clerkships (number-wise, not %), gaining more more clerkships, despite having a much smaller class size.

2010, wake forest beat UNC in NLJ 250 placement, 15-11%.
2010 clerkship #s not out.

But, yeah, the career prospects are definitely best at UNC, because, they ranked higher according to a magazine which values things such as
1. student:teacher ratio,
2. size of library,
3. LSAT scores
and
4. GPAs,
which are all very important things, career-wise.

I mean look at all the great empirical evidence the people telling UNC is best have given...

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 pm

PDL wrote:Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>> Winston Salem, COL considered.


I live in winston salem and went to the movie the other night for $4.50.

GTFO w/ your chapel hill cost of living arguments.

Chapel hill is a much better environment though. I mean, its a totally tubular college town. And since I'm sure OP will partying up, this should factor highly in his decision.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm

tarheel87 wrote:In terms of job placement I would say UNC and Wake are pretty comparable, might even give the edge to Wake (example: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674). But UNC has two things going for it that will skew things a lot of the time: cheaper tuition and an awesome location in Chapel Hill. Tuition being equal I'd say go with Wake, but there definitely isn't enough of a difference to justify sticker at Wake over in-state tuition at UNC.

People that talk about UNC's alumni network or Wake's mobility are retarded, neither is relevant. Wake's mobility is due to its geographically diverse class and UNC sends just as many people out of state anyways. And UNC's big alumni network is cancelled out by an oversized class and Wake's more loyal alumni. The two schools are equals in both departments.


damnit, how am I supposed to be a wake-forest fanboy when you are making intelligent, well-reasoned posts?

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby PDL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 am

PDL wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
PDL wrote:Chapel Hill >>>>>>>>> Winston Salem, COL considered.


I live in winston salem and went to the movie the other night for $4.50.

GTFO w/ your chapel hill cost of living arguments.

Chapel hill is a much better environment though. I mean, its a totally tubular college town. And since I'm sure OP will partying up, this should factor highly in his decision.


I meant "even taking Chapel Hill's higher cost of living into consideration, Chapel Hill is still better than Winston Salem". But congrats on your cheap movie ticket.

I've spent significant time in Winston Salem, and went UG to UNC. Trust me when I say that Chapel Hill blows Winston Salem out of the water.

Thank you, I liked it. You in LS? Do you know how much time you spend on the town in LS?

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 am

In my experience working in the NC legal market, UNC and Wake are peers from a hiring aspect. For me, it comes down to cost and personal preference. If you need less distractions and want a small private school in a less than exciting town, go to Wake. If you want a public school where in your spare time you can have an extension of undergrad, go to UNC. As far as the alumni are concerned, whoever said that Wake has a more loyal alumni base is delusional.

Also, if you are a bro, this is relevant: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html

Don't waste your money on the Campbell application fee.

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby PDL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:43 am

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarheel87
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby tarheel87 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:In my experience working in the NC legal market, UNC and Wake are peers from a hiring aspect. For me, it comes down to cost and personal preference. If you need less distractions and want a small private school in a less than exciting town, go to Wake. If you want a public school where in your spare time you can have an extension of undergrad, go to UNC. As far as the alumni are concerned, whoever said that Wake has a more loyal alumni base is delusional.

Also, if you are a bro, this is relevant: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html

Don't waste your money on the Campbell application fee.


FYI, I have attended both schools, I don't think it's too delusional to say Wake's alumni base is more loyal. I have cold called multiple out-of-state alumni, who have offered to circulate my resume around their respective legal communities and given me contacts to speak to. I don't think that that is going to happen as much at large publics, where there are many more students.

I'm not trying to put down UNC either, its my alma mater and I absolutely love the university. Speaking of which, this FSU game isn't going too well.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Career prospects for NC: UNC v. Wake Forest v. Campbell

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:2009, wake forest beat unc in NLJ 250 placement. Something like 18%-17%.
2009, wake forest beat the shit out of UNC in Federal clerkships (number-wise, not %), gaining more more clerkships, despite having a much smaller class size.

2010, wake forest beat UNC in NLJ 250 placement, 15-11%.
2010 clerkship #s not out.

But, yeah, the career prospects are definitely best at UNC, because, they ranked higher according to a magazine which values things such as
1. student:teacher ratio,
2. size of library,
3. LSAT scores
and
4. GPAs,
which are all very important things, career-wise.

I mean look at all the great empirical evidence the people telling UNC is best have given...


...if they got more clerkships with a smaller student body, then they did better numbers-wise and in terms of percentage...Also, go motherfing Heels!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Bubbles and 4 guests