Online Law Schools???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbrown1234
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Online Law Schools???

Postby jbrown1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Hello all. New to the site. I'm looking for an alternative in attending law schools. I got my MBA online and it really worked well for me. I want to pursue my education in law, but due to my hectic work/family schedule, I don't think a brick and mortar school is for me. Any suggestions on online law schools and what you all think. Thanks.

jbrown

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby TheFactor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:12 pm

if you are ok with having no chance at legal employment then go for it

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:Hello all. New to the site. I'm looking for an alternative in attending law schools. I got my MBA online and it really worked well for me. I want to pursue my education in law, but due to my hectic work/family schedule, I don't think a brick and mortar school is for me. Any suggestions on online law schools and what you all think. Thanks.

jbrown


If getting your MBA online worked "really well" for you, then why are you getting a law degree?

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby almightypush » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:34 pm

flame?

jbrown1234
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby jbrown1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

MBA has worked well, I just want to pursue a JD, in hopes to start my own practice. guess have to google it unless anyone can make suggestions? thanks.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

almightypush wrote:flame?


For OP's sake, I will say yes.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby akili » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:MBA has worked well, I just want to pursue a JD, in hopes to start my own practice. guess have to google it unless anyone can make suggestions? thanks.


Honestly, it's a really bad idea. If you have a job that pays well now, keep it. Law is a risky investment even at the top schools. Online schools are just a plain bad choices. Prestige matters in getting a law job, especially in this economy.

Kingoflaw88
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby Kingoflaw88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 pm

akili wrote:
jbrown1234 wrote:MBA has worked well, I just want to pursue a JD, in hopes to start my own practice. guess have to google it unless anyone can make suggestions? thanks.


Honestly, it's a really bad idea. If you have a job that pays well now, keep it. Law is a risky investment even at the top schools. Online schools are just a plain bad choices. Prestige matters in getting a law job, especially in this economy.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 pm

akili wrote:
jbrown1234 wrote:MBA has worked well, I just want to pursue a JD, in hopes to start my own practice. guess have to google it unless anyone can make suggestions? thanks.


Honestly, it's a really bad idea. If you have a job that pays well now, keep it. Law is a risky investment even at the top schools. Online schools are just a plain bad choices. Prestige matters in getting a law job, especially in this economy.


In case you are not a flame, let me reiterate this with everything in my body. I'm trying to decide rather or not to go $200,000 in debt at a Top 10 institution and it still might not pan out for me. Online schools aren't even Tier 4. I mean, do they even have any that are accredited yet?

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Why study law online when you can study law on the moon? Space law is the fastest growing field right now.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

You should do Harvard's new online JD. It's only $17.50 per credit hour and then you have a Harvard JD. I bet that in 10 years, all law schools will be online. You are just ahead of the curve. Kudos

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Law school (online or otherwise) doesn't prepare you for being a lawyer. So, if your intent is to open up your own practice right away, I'd drop the idea of law school altogether.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby bhan87 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:01 pm

49 states won't even let you sit for the bar with an online law degree. The only exception, CA, requires you to pass the baby bar, which most people fail. And, even after being admitted, an online law degree will offer no job prospects.

If the reason you want to pursue an online degree is having too many commitments, you really need to evaluate whether you should go at all. It's a more than significant time investment online or not.

jbrown1234
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby jbrown1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:15 pm

kwais wrote:You should do Harvard's new online JD. It's only $17.50 per credit hour and then you have a Harvard JD. I bet that in 10 years, all law schools will be online. You are just ahead of the curve. Kudos



I believe that online education will be the future. I think law schools are just lagging behind. I found one Abraham Lincoln University School of Law. Based in Los Angeles, CA. http://www.alu.edu. Anyone heard of it.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:
kwais wrote:You should do Harvard's new online JD. It's only $17.50 per credit hour and then you have a Harvard JD. I bet that in 10 years, all law schools will be online. You are just ahead of the curve. Kudos



I believe that online education will be the future. I think law schools are just lagging behind. I found one Abraham Lincoln University School of Law. Based in Los Angeles, CA. http://www.alu.edu. Anyone heard of it.


Space travel is the way of the future too. But I ain't buying a ticket until I know I'm not going to spontaneously combust.

Does that make sense?

ETA: The California market is hurting anyways, plus you'd be competing with Stanford, Berkeley, USC, UCLA, UC Hastings, UC Davis, U of San Diego and about 20 others.
Last edited by lisjjen on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby akili » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Well hey! They don't require the LSAT, aren't ABA approved, and only 1/3 of students pass the bar. That sounds like a GREAT option!

ETA: actually it looks like in February of 2011 11.7% of test takers passed the bar....
Last edited by akili on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby jacketman03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:24 pm

That website looks like something the early 2000s forgot.

jbrown1234
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby jbrown1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

akili wrote:Well hey! They don't require the LSAT, aren't ABA approved, and only 1/3 of students pass the bar. That sounds like a GREAT option!

ETA: actually it looks like in February of 2011 11.7% of test takers passed the bar....


I guess its to be expected since I'm sure most of the students aren't full-time. I guess I have to do further research.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:
akili wrote:Well hey! They don't require the LSAT, aren't ABA approved, and only 1/3 of students pass the bar. That sounds like a GREAT option!

ETA: actually it looks like in February of 2011 11.7% of test takers passed the bar....


I guess its to be expected since I'm sure most of the students aren't full-time. I guess I have to do further research.


I'm starting to get suspicious. flame? inability to pick up on sarcasm? thick-skin?

Kingoflaw88
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby Kingoflaw88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:
akili wrote:Well hey! They don't require the LSAT, aren't ABA approved, and only 1/3 of students pass the bar. That sounds like a GREAT option!

ETA: actually it looks like in February of 2011 11.7% of test takers passed the bar....


I guess its to be expected since I'm sure most of the students aren't full-time. I guess I have to do further research.


I would just trust the Honest Abe School of law

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Of course flame, but for anybody who is wondering the same thing, Ken gives a fairly robust (albeit probably too diplomatic answer) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14

jbrown1234
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby jbrown1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 pm

It seems like CA has a wide variety of law schools, non-ABA, accreditted, non-accreditted etc. I wonder if schools matter, or passing the bar is the most important thing???

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby akili » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

jbrown1234 wrote:It seems like CA has a wide variety of law schools, non-ABA, accreditted, non-accreditted etc. I wonder if schools matter, or passing the bar is the most important thing???


Schools matter for getting a job. So yes.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby kjadkins » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:36 pm

This thread made me LOL at work.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Online Law Schools???

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

this is a boring flame. step up your game, op. big time.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, curry1, echonov and 1 guest