Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham, BC or Cardozo

Fordham
47
45%
Boston College
44
42%
Cardozo ($27 K/yr Scholly)
14
13%
 
Total votes: 105

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I cannot decide which of these I want to attend... Just to give some background, I go to school in Boston now, but am originally from NY. I want to do NYC BigLaw. Fordham and BC haven't given me any money and I assume they won't. And Cardozo gave me $27K/year with a stipulation of a 2.85GPA.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm

If you want to do NYC Biglaw then Cardozo shouldn't be an option.
Did you apply to BU? Its placement in NYC is supposedly slightly better than BC.
I'd go for BC since it's cheaper and has better overall placement, and still might get you in NYC.

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 pm

rman1201 wrote:If you want to do NYC Biglaw then Cardozo shouldn't be an option.
Did you apply to BU? Its placement in NYC is supposedly slightly better than BC.
I'd go for BC since it's cheaper and has better overall placement, and still might get you in NYC.


Thanks! Any more opinions would be helpful :)

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 pm

indecisive111 wrote:I cannot decide which of these I want to attend... Just to give some background, I go to school in Boston now, but am originally from NY. I want to do NYC BigLaw. Fordham and BC haven't given me any money and I assume they won't. And Cardozo gave me $27K/year with a stipulation of a 2.85GPA.


If you actually want a decent shot at big law, none of these.

If neither Fordham nor BC offer you money, and you are paying for tuition and COL out of your own pocket/loans, Cardozo is the only reasonable choice out of the three.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If you actually want a decent shot at big law, none of these.

This. I don't think anyone else has advised you to retake, get some substantive w/e and reapply, but it would be worth a serious look if I were in your shoes.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Of your current options, limit your considerations to Fordham & Boston College.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm

BC is the best option. Sticker is a lot though. However I wouldn't say that a 33% placement in NLJ 250 is a bad shot at biglaw. I think you should go to BC and learn to like Boston. You don't have to become a Sox fan.

lawgrl21
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby lawgrl21 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

if you definitely want NYC - Fordham. BC places better generally in biglaw, but not as much in NY as Boston for obvious reasons. While Fordham's percent hired for biglaw is lower, it is almost exclusively in NY from what I understand

edit: look at the school's websites to see % of graduates working in different geographic areas. that should help give you an idea of where most of the recruiting at the school is from. Also,I agree with whoever said think about BU. BC places better in Boston, but BU places well nationally.

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Unfortunately I was dinged from BU so its not an option. As for retaking- that is definitely not an option I am willing to consider. I am ready for law school now and taking time off just to retake the LSAT isn't something I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions though! Keep em' coming.

And I definitely want NYC. I have been in Boston for the past 4 years and do not want to start my career off here.

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:21 pm

bump :)

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Cardozo.. I want a spot at the other two schools

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:06 pm

BC hands down. Fordham gives you a better shot at NYC, no doubt, but because you're have Boston ties from undergrad, you can hit both markets hard and have a better shot at getting an offer. If you get an offer in Boston and not NYC, you could work on lateraling after two years or so.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby thexfactor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm

bc. your first goal should be to get a job period.... then think about location.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby hokie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Blindmelon wrote:BC hands down. Fordham gives you a better shot at NYC, no doubt, but because you're have Boston ties from undergrad, you can hit both markets hard and have a better shot at getting an offer. If you get an offer in Boston and not NYC, you could work on lateraling after two years or so.


TITCR. However since you said:

indecisive111 wrote:Unfortunately I was dinged from BU so its not an option. As for retaking- that is definitely not an option I am willing to consider. I am ready for law school now and taking time off just to retake the LSAT isn't something I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions though! Keep em' coming.

And I definitely want NYC. I have been in Boston for the past 4 years and do not want to start my career off here.


then I would go with Fordham. Although getting a job should indeed be your #1 priority, if you 100% sure you do not want to be in a town, then I wouldn't force it. You have a relatively peer school (compared to BC) in the city you want to be in; I say Fordham>>BC in your situation

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. Really appreciate all the opinions... I am leaning towards fordham heavily because I do want NYC so im just seeing is someone has something to say that would dissuade me

User avatar
Robespierre
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby Robespierre » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

You say you want NYC Biglaw. Fordham places 25.6% of the class in Biglaw, presumably most of them in NYC. Cardozo places 12.6% in Biglaw, presumably nearly all in NYC. Is being a 1 in 4 shot rather than a 1 in 8 shot worth $81,000 cash over the next 3 years, which is the net present value of something like $300,000 over the course of your working life? I would say No and that's why I'm voting Dozo. But reasonable minds could differ and that's the decision you have to make. Good luck.

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm

i feel the same way as the poll... UGH

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby IsleMet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Though it seems that you don't want to take time off or re-take the LSAT...Here's what I would do:

1. Gain some work experience in a field that you could see yourself working in after law school.
2. Study like crazy for the LSAT and get an amazing score (I took the damn thing 4 times)
3. Re-apply either next year or the year after.
4. Get a lot of money at the schools you are considering.

I took two years after undergrad to do Teach for America and it has been a great experience and has enabled me to further narrow down what I want to do after law school. I re-took the LSAT and scored higher and also got a Masters degree. Two years ago, I applied and got into Fordham part time and Cardozo with 25k/year. Now, I applied and got into Fordham full time, full ride a Dozo, and a full ride at BC.

If you stand pat...
-Email Fordham and tell them how much you love them while asking for a little cash (though, they were unwilling to give me ANYTHING even when I told them I got a full ride at BC).
-Do the same for BC
-Email Cardozo and say you'd love to attend, but you were hoping for more $$ (they are generous and might bump your scholly up).

As it stands...I would take BC given your current options!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 pm

indecisive111 wrote:Unfortunately I was dinged from BU so its not an option. As for retaking- that is definitely not an option I am willing to consider. I am ready for law school now and taking time off just to retake the LSAT isn't something I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions though! Keep em' coming.

And I definitely want NYC. I have been in Boston for the past 4 years and do not want to start my career off here.


If you really want NYC biglaw then you should retake. If not then go to Fordham.

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby IsleMet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:26 pm

My BC argument:

Cost per year at Fordham factoring in cost of living...72k

At BC...60k

That's a 36k difference over three years.

Decision:
Pros for Fordham: Places a little better for Big Law in NYC. You prefer NYC.
vs.
Pro for BC: 36k

I take the money :-)

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

so much to consider...

i think cardozo is out of the picture... but i am still so torn between fordham and BC :?

Slevin Kelevra 2011
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I would pick Boston.

Have you visited the two schools?

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:I would pick Boston.

Have you visited the two schools?


Yes and I really liked them both. I know that BC will give me the best job options overall... however, I am very sure I want NY because of family and other factors.. so because of that I think fordham will give me the best job options for what I want to do because I don't want to get stuck in boston... but then again BC is also slightly cheaper... idk.

indecisive111
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby indecisive111 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 am

Update...
Fordham gave me $15K for 3 years total. Pretty much evens the cost of BC and Fordham... now what? :?

timertimer61
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Fordham vs BC vs Cardozo (27K)

Postby timertimer61 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:01 am

indecisive111 wrote:Update...
Fordham gave me $15K for 3 years total. Pretty much evens the cost of BC and Fordham... now what? :?

if you want NYC biglaw, then FORDHAM.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests