George Mason vs Pace

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sphynx4105

George Mason vs Pace

Postby sphynx4105 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back from about half of my schools but of the acceptances I've received, I'm most interested in George Mason and Pace. I'm drawn to GM for its DC location and decently good reputation. But I'm dedicated to studying environmental law, and Pace supposedly has the 3rd best environmental law program in the nation. Pace is also offering me a $24,000 a year scholarship, and since I'm a New Yorker I won't qualify for GM in-state tuition. So the question is (if it comes down to George Mason or Pace) would it be advisable to go with the more expensive school with a better reputation or the cheaper school with a fantastic specialized program but lousy rep? Would attending George Mason limit me to the DC area or would I be able to practice in NYC too? Can anyone speak to whether the environmental law program at Pace would outweigh its ranking in terms of job prospects/salary?
Thanks!

sanjola

Re: George Mason vs Pace

Postby sanjola » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 pm

George Mason, easily.

The speciality rankings mean nothing in the long run and Pace is a TTTT in over saturated NYC.

NothingRlyMattress

Postby NothingRlyMattress » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:42 am

Don't go to Pace.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:43 am

NothingRlyMattress wrote:Don't go to Pace.

Having said that, neither is an attractive option considering the regions and rankings (Pace is one of the worst schools for NYC, GMU is at the bottom of the ladder for DC).

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:47 am

I personally think both are bad choices given the current market.. of the two George Mason hands down

more importantly where do you want to live after law school?

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
NothingRlyMattress wrote:Don't go to Pace.

Having said that, neither is an attractive option considering the regions and rankings (Pace is one of the worst schools for NYC, GMU is at the bottom of the ladder for DC).

How is GMU the bottom of the ladder for DC?

The order goes Georgetown > George Washington > George Mason > American > Catholic > UDC.

That being said I would only choose to go to Gtown or George Washington in this economy.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 am

also, you have UVA and William and mary, as well as maryland.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 am

The OP didn't ask you what was the pecking order. They asked you PACE or GM. Learn how to read people. And in such case, I'd choose GM.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 am

Does anyone know when Pace gives out merit scholarships? I received an acceptance packet from them last week and all it said was that need-based and merit scholarship information would arrive at a later date.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 am

mez06 wrote:The OP didn't ask you what was the pecking order. They asked you PACE or GM. Learn how to read people. And in such case, I'd choose GM.

So? Additional information on whether a school is trashy is important. A person asking which is better: Florida Costal or Cooley will often (and should) get a response that neither is worth going to.

sphynx4105

Postby sphynx4105 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 am

BlueDiamond wrote:I personally think both are bad choices given the current market.. of the two George Mason hands down

more importantly where do you want to live after law school?

I'd like to practice in either NYC or DC. I'm still waiting to hear back from Cardozo, Fordham, American, Seton Hall, and St John's.

sphynx4105

Postby sphynx4105 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 am

MP24 wrote:Does anyone know when Pace gives out merit scholarships? I received an acceptance packet from them last week and all it said was that need-based and merit scholarship information would arrive at a later date.

I received my award info about two weeks after I got the acceptance package, so hopefully you should be getting it soon too.

last.chance

Postby last.chance » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 am

I'm from nyc and a close friend of mine graduated from Pace's last 2010 class. The school is my father's alma mater as well (BBA/MBA).
Having said that, don't go. Mason hands down. Some employers here aren't even aware that Pace has a law school, it's only known for it's business programs.

Pray for Fordham, its far and away the best choice even at sticker.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”