MINN or Loyola Chicago?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tessakate6

MINN or Loyola Chicago?

Postby tessakate6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 am

I have been accepted to UMN Law with ($) and Loyola but have no information about financial aid from them yet. I am from MN but my boyfriend is in his 2L year at Northwestern in Chicago. I would really appreciate some feedback about the decision between these schools.

twairlines

Re: MINN or Loyola Chicago?

Postby twairlines » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 am

Minnesota is the obvious choice. How much money?
Loyola's highest scholly for merit is 21k/yr. Unless of course you sign up for one of their named scholarships which are extremely rare and are geared towards certain individuals. If Minn. is giving you near 20k/yr it would be a lot cheaper to go there with COL. If you absolutely must work in Chicago after graduation, because that is where your BF wants to stay, then the Loyola degree may serve you better. If your BF is willing to work in Minn. after graduation, it would be easier for his degree to travel than a Minn. degree taking you into Chicago. Also, unless you two are on the brink of engagement don't base your decision on this relationship....
JUst saw you are from MN, then with even 10k/yr in scholarship money would be enough to choose it over loyola, especially with UMN's low instate tuition.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 am

Ok... MN is clearly the better school it's not even close, so purely on employment prospects go to MN. Does your BF have a job lined up? if he has one in MN then a year apart won't kill you. To be honest even if his job is in Chi, i think that MN has enough clout in the Midwest that you could probably get to Chicago especially if you had you BF down there as a tie. Personally i say go to MN but i know the personal nature of the situation might sway you. Could you maybe go to ND as a happy medium? better ties and closer to Chi than MN although worse placement ITE

tessakate6

Postby tessakate6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for your input! I am also trying to figure out whether the smaller market of MN is more or less of a detriment than Chicago' struggling market...

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 am

Thing is, while MSP may be a smaller market (still a decently sized one at that), what I've heard is that UMN dominates its market, whereas Loyola is on the middle of the totem pole in Chicago

tessakate6

Postby tessakate6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 am

fakemoney wrote:Thing is, while MSP may be a smaller market (still a decently sized one at that), what I've heard is that UMN dominates its market, whereas Loyola is on the middle of the totem pole in Chicago

You make a good point. Thanks!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:49 pm

apply to NW you might get lucky. I see from your previous posts that you are an URM. Try retaking in June. If you get a higher score then reapply next year. If not then go to Minn.

tessakate6

Postby tessakate6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

thexfactor wrote:apply to NW you might get lucky. I see from your previous posts that you are an URM. Try retaking in June. If you get a higher score then reapply next year. If not then go to Minn.

Thank you for your suggestion and input but I do not want to take a year off.

hardworkingal

Postby hardworkingal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm

MINN is the better school, go with MINN.

kid charlemagne

Postby kid charlemagne » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 am

Definitely Minnesota.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 am

Obvious answer is to retake and apply to NW, as one poster pointed out above. Given the choices though, I would pick MN every day that ends in 'y'.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 am

MN and Chicago are not that far away. Long distance can be good for the relationship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”