Chicago vs. UCLA vs. BYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dustinsc

Chicago vs. UCLA vs. BYU

Postby dustinsc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I've got $60,000 total to Chicago, $120,000 to UCLA and full-tution renewable to BYU. I also have options of paying sticker at Columbia and Harvard, although with the scholarship to Chicago, I don't know why I would. I went to BYU for my undergrad. I'm not particularly interested in getting into a big law firm because I value time much more than money, and, although I can handle it, I generally avoid high pressure situations. I'm not even sure that I want to work in a law firm at all, so I'm interested in pursuing careers in public service or in-house.

With all that in mind, what are your thoughts on each of these schools as a fit for me? Will the prestige of Chicago be worth the added debt considering my career goals? Would going to the same school from which I hold a degree make any difference in getting a job? How competitive is UCLA? Any thoughts would be helpful.

CanadianWolf

Re: Chicago vs. UCLA vs. BYU

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Since you are uncertain as to whether or not you want to practice law and, in any case, do not want biglaw, then take the scholarship money & the freedom that it gives. UCLA, Chicago & BYU are good options in your situation & for your interests, in my opinion. Will you enjoy Los Angeles after four years at BYU ? If so, that may be your best option in light of the $120,000 scholarship; otherwise, if addicted and committed to the Morman lifestyle, then a full tuition scholarship to BYU makes sense.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm not sure where you should end up relative to your interests but still wanted to point out that with your numbers and the scholarship at Chicago, I think you should be able to get some money from Columbia too. I personally think Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard even at sticker are worth more than $120,000 at UCLA (especially because I plan on turning down this same exact scholarship). And with the $$ at Chicago I don't really think there's any reason to consider UCLA. Just my two cents.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm

For PI, I would take either UCLA with the money or Harvard with the best combination LRAP and opportunities.

Do you want to work in Southern California? If so, UCLA for nothing more than cost of living seems like a great deal for someone with no biglaw/clerkship/academia aspirations.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”