HELP! To Go or To Wait

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Go or No Go?

Go to Temple or UMD you idiot
2
3%
Study for the June or October LSAT, destroy it, reapply to schools
69
95%
Other (clarify in post)
2
3%
 
Total votes: 73

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:33 pm

dr123 wrote:fyi if you havent already applied to TFA youve missed the deadline for 2011

Negative. Schools can help with this.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 pm

2things2 wrote:What do you guys think would be the minimum score I would need to get in June to decide to reapply? Is it 170 or bust?

If you get a 165, I'd reapply. I don't know what your GPA is, but at 3.0 and 165, you should be able to get into a tier 1 (top 50).

If your GPA is a 3.5, and you got a 165, it's a no brainer to reapply.

If your goal is top 20, though, your GPA is more important. I'd say 165, apply to IU: B and get 80k to a top 25.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby tea_drinker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:37 pm

2things2 wrote:
2things2 wrote:What do you guys think would be the minimum score I would need to get in June to decide to reapply? Is it 170 or bust?

anyone?


If you get 170, withdraw.
If you get 165-170, then what's your GPA?

Also, are you a T14 or bust? big law or bust?

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby dr123 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:37 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
dr123 wrote:fyi if you havent already applied to TFA youve missed the deadline for 2011

Negative. Schools can help with this.


How so? The deadline to apply was in February and by now theyve already accepted almost everyone. Im pretty sure the final deadline to accept/decline has already passed or is coming up very soon

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

dr123 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:
dr123 wrote:fyi if you havent already applied to TFA youve missed the deadline for 2011

Negative. Schools can help with this.


How so? The deadline to apply was in February and by now theyve already accepted almost everyone. Im pretty sure the final deadline to accept/decline has already passed or is coming up very soon

I think schools can extend it for you. I don't know how it works, but the system is meant to accommodate them, not necessarily us.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby 2things2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:54 pm

My GPA is going to be around 3.25-3.3, which is nothing amazing I know. I'm practice testing right around a 169-170, and I expect that to go up, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a 166 or 167 and have a tough time deciding whether to go to Temple/Maryland (depending if Maryland gives me $$) or take a year off. I'm just trying to figure out the score that I need, so that when the time comes I'll know exactly what to do.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:07 pm

2things2 wrote:My GPA is going to be around 3.25-3.3, which is nothing amazing I know. I'm practice testing right around a 169-170, and I expect that to go up, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a 166 or 167 and have a tough time deciding whether to go to Temple/Maryland (depending if Maryland gives me $$) or take a year off. I'm just trying to figure out the score that I need, so that when the time comes I'll know exactly what to do.

A 162 and 167 really aren't that close.

With a 3.25 and 167, you can probably do better than Maryland. I think you'd be into IU: B and possibly Emory.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby bmore » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Where do you want practice? If you want to practice in Md then go to U of MD. If you have different aspirations then retake. Good luck.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby 2things2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 pm

bmore wrote:Where do you want practice? If you want to practice in Md then go to U of MD. If you have different aspirations then retake. Good luck.

My dad owns a practice in Philly -- if I go to Maryland it would be because three years of law school would be much more enjoyable in Maryland than at Temple, but in the end I would have avenues into Philly. I think its 167 or bust.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 pm

2things2 wrote:
bmore wrote:Where do you want practice? If you want to practice in Md then go to U of MD. If you have different aspirations then retake. Good luck.

My dad owns a practice in Philly -- if I go to Maryland it would be because three years of law school would be much more enjoyable in Maryland than at Temple, but in the end I would have avenues into Philly. I think its 167 or bust.

If I had a guaranteed job, I'd go wherever I got the most money. You read the same books at every school.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby tea_drinker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 am

flexityflex86 wrote:If I had a guaranteed job, I'd go wherever I got the most money. You read the same books at every school.


Just to echo this a little bit, with your GPA, if you get 167+ on your LSAT, you should withdraw and reapply next year. Even if you don't get into higher school, you may get some scholarship money from either temple or maryland. Although, I think if you push hard to 170, UVA are Gtown possibilities.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby 2things2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:52 am

tea_drinker wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:If I had a guaranteed job, I'd go wherever I got the most money. You read the same books at every school.


Just to echo this a little bit, with your GPA, if you get 167+ on your LSAT, you should withdraw and reapply next year. Even if you don't get into higher school, you may get some scholarship money from either temple or maryland. Although, I think if you push hard to 170, UVA are Gtown possibilities.

I agree with all of this. The magic number is 167. Obviously the real goal is 170, but a 167 would give me some serious money at the schools I'm already in at.

I appreciate the responses from everyone -- my mind is relatively at ease (sort of). Now I'm gona work my balls off for the next 2 months up til June 6th. Game on.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 am

I disagree. I think if you get a 165 you should reapply.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: HELP! To Go or To Wait

Postby 2things2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I disagree. I think if you get a 165 you should reapply.

I'm praying that I won't have to make this decision :wink:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bugsy33 and 2 guests