help me choose: GW v. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW ($$$) vs. UVA (sticker)

GW($$$)
14
23%
UVA (sticker)
35
56%
Take a year off
13
21%
Other: Vandy, Emory, UGA, etc.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 62

JDtobe
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby JDtobe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:19 pm

HELP!

I've agonized over this decision and am finally turning to TLS for advice.

GW ($$$) vs. UVA at sticker

I want either DC or Atlanta and don't know biglaw vs. pi. No SO, no undergrad loans.
I'd like to clerk and end up in the public sector but I wouldn't be opposed to biglaw for a couple years to pay off the loans.

(The other option is take a year off and retake the LSAT -- 167, 4.0)

EDIT:

I'm only 21 and graduated from undergrad in three years so taking a year off is definitely an option.
Last edited by JDtobe on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18423
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: help me chose: GW v. UVA

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm

I'd retake and aim for T6 if that is possible. I'd at least try to get some money out of a T12 school with a higher LSAT.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: help me chose: GW v. UVA

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:25 pm

if i had a 167/4.0 i would be spending every waking hour studying for the lsat.

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: help me chose: GW v. UVA

Postby MartianManhunter » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 pm

UVA is a great school. Your stated goals are more than reachable from there. You have no debt and nobody but yourself to support, the loans aren't a death sentence. I suppose if you believe you're enough of a special snowflake to defy the statistical probability that your score won't improve enough to make a difference, go ahead and take a year off and study.

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby beidoun » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Don't waste your 4.0

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: help me chose: GW v. UVA

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:52 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd retake and aim for T6 if that is possible. I'd at least try to get some money out of a T12 school with a higher LSAT.


This, especially since you're an early grad.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: help me chose: GW v. UVA

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:54 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:UVA is a great school. Your stated goals are more than reachable from there. You have no debt and nobody but yourself to support, the loans aren't a death sentence. I suppose if you believe you're enough of a special snowflake to defy the statistical probability that your score won't improve enough to make a difference, go ahead and take a year off and study.


you realize that even if you accept the absurd supposition that you can't improve your preparedness for the LSAT, your score is still only accurate +/- three points, right? a 170/4.0 would probably get him in to at least one of CCN.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 pm

U.Va. may not be an option for you if you reapply. You need to consider that.

Also consider the fact that, for DC and Atlanta, there are only three schools measurably better than U.Va. (Yale, Harvard, and Stanford) and two that may be better (Columbia and Chicago). Would you go to any of these schools over U.Va., and if you would, are you confident that you can score well enough on the LSAT to do so? You'll likely need a 170-171 for CC and a 173 for HS (Y is probably out).

Yeah, you're young and have time, but you have a great option already. Not everyone can score a 171. If you're sure you can and if you want YHSCC, then don't settle, but waiting a year and retaking isn't necessarily the "practical" thing to do.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 pm

JDtobe wrote:I'd like to clerk and end up in the public sector

I'm going to go against the grain here: GW + $$$, and it's not even close. GW has fantastic placement for DC public sector jobs, and if you're not aspiring to Big Law on a long-term basis, UVA's better placement there doesn't really matter.

Take the $$$, stay out of serious debt, and never look back. Enjoy the public sector.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18423
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Attorney wrote:UVA's better placement there doesn't really matter.


It definitely does for clerkships.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 pm

You would be nuts not to take UVA. It is an amazing school and will get you into most markets.

The chances of finding work for a year are not awesome.

It seems weird to hear people say do not waste your 4.0 on UVA. Your 4.0 got you into UVA and you should use it.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Attorney wrote:
JDtobe wrote:I'd like to clerk and end up in the public sector

I'm going to go against the grain here: GW + $$$, and it's not even close. GW has fantastic placement for DC public sector jobs, and if you're not aspiring to Big Law on a long-term basis, UVA's better placement there doesn't really matter.

Take the $$$, stay out of serious debt, and never look back. Enjoy the public sector.


UVA = better LRAP

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I have identical stats as you and I'm going to UVA. I only took the LSAT once and I'm not retaking. I do, however, have 1 year of LS paid for. If I didn't, I would retake the LSAT in hopes of getting some money somewhere. PM me if you have Q's

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Attorney wrote:
JDtobe wrote:I'd like to clerk and end up in the public sector

I'm going to go against the grain here: GW + $$$, and it's not even close. GW has fantastic placement for DC public sector jobs, and if you're not aspiring to Big Law on a long-term basis, UVA's better placement there doesn't really matter.

Take the $$$, stay out of serious debt, and never look back. Enjoy the public sector.


UVA = better LRAP

Oh. Well then. Someone should do the math here, comparing the LRAPs and adding in the GW scholarship. If the LRAP difference can narrow the margin quite significantly then UVA it is!

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 pm

This heavily depends on whether you honestly believe you can do better on the LSAT. If you do I would definitely retake.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18423
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Attorney wrote:Oh. Well then. Someone should do the math here, comparing the LRAPs and adding in the GW scholarship. If the LRAP difference can narrow the margin quite significantly then UVA it is!


GW's LRAP is like pissing in the wind.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I have identical stats as you and I'm going to UVA. I only took the LSAT once and I'm not retaking. I do, however, have 1 year of LS paid for. If I didn't, I would retake the LSAT in hopes of getting some money somewhere. PM me if you have Q's


I also just took a year off, and while it has been good for relaxation/fun purposes, it didn't get me into any schools that I wouldn't have already gotten into (or not gotten into) if I hadn't taken a year off. So if you think this will benefit you in the LS game, chances are it won't - even if we're talking NU, because I think NU likes 2+-year off people a LOT more 1-year off people

oops, didn't realize that came with the condition of retaking the LSAT. i agree with what some person above said. if you tihnk you can do better, retake. in all honesty, i scored way higher on the actual LSAT than i had been PTing at, so i took it and ran and i'm not lookin' back.

bauerahl
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby bauerahl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40 pm

I know Virginia's LRAP used to be awful but that a new one was implemented (recently?). Any idea how much better it is? Could be helpful info for the OP (but mainly, I'm just interested)

JDtobe
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby JDtobe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 pm

bauerahl here's a link to UVA's loan forgiveness program - http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/public ... orgive.htm

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby Moxie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Retake, get a year of real world experience, and enjoy CCN or HYS.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: help me choose: GW v. UVA

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:58 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:I have identical stats as you and I'm going to UVA. I only took the LSAT once and I'm not retaking. I do, however, have 1 year of LS paid for. If I didn't, I would retake the LSAT in hopes of getting some money somewhere. PM me if you have Q's


I also just took a year off, and while it has been good for relaxation/fun purposes, it didn't get me into any schools that I wouldn't have already gotten into (or not gotten into) if I hadn't taken a year off. So if you think this will benefit you in the LS game, chances are it won't - even if we're talking NU, because I think NU likes 2+-year off people a LOT more 1-year off people

oops, didn't realize that came with the condition of retaking the LSAT. i agree with what some person above said. if you tihnk you can do better, retake. in all honesty, i scored way higher on the actual LSAT than i had been PTing at, so i took it and ran and i'm not lookin' back.


I actually agree with this guy. I know everyone says retake, retake, retake on TLS. But not everyone can improve their score. I took some time off to retake, and I didnt get into any schools I wouldnt have before. I was practicing a little higher but i ended up getting the same LSAT score. Moral of the story, my cycle was almost exactly the same (actually got a few more denials this time, less waitlists b/c law school medians rose).

Now what if the OP retakes and gets a 166? What if the OP gets a 168? Probably still not going to make into CCN and UVA might waitlist him second time around. I would take what you have now. Maybe defer a year because your young. But other than that, retake is not always the credited answer, contrary to what TLS says.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, grandpapy360, jjcorvino and 5 guests