BU or BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
polinerdemory
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 am

BU or BC

Postby polinerdemory » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 pm

I never thought I'd get into either of these, but I luckily did. Also, they are both at the top of my list, which is a great blessing and a minor curse. Which one? I know there are threads on here that have done this comparison before, but I was wondering if people could speak to the different cultures of the school. Any other banter over comparing these two schools will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Now let's add that I want to work in NYC, BOS, DC (In order of preference, though I'd be happy in any of these cities). Does BU win hands down if I want to work in NYC?
Last edited by polinerdemory on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18420
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Nobody can make this choice for you as it should come down to two things: money and personal preference.

If money is equal or close to equal then you really should go visit each school and get a feel for which one you would like better.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

BU let me in. BC waitlisted me. Therefore BU has better taste and is where you ought to go.

polinerdemory
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby polinerdemory » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Like the logic! I think I'm leaning toward BU, but just keeping an open mind for now.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Have you visited both law schools ?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Comes down to the following considerations:

1). Money, 2). Urban v. Rural .... thats about it, with the caveat that if you want to do anything "health law" related, then its BU.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 pm

If you're looking at sticker, maybe neither.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby twintipping_bumps » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

If you want to settle down in MA within a 50 mile radius of Boston, BC's reputation is beyond compare. I just hope the new Dean focuses on getting the National Reputation back to where it should be.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:49 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:If you want to settle down in MA within a 50 mile radius of Boston, BC's reputation is beyond compare. I just hope the new Dean focuses on getting the National Reputation back to where it should be.


Within a 5 mile radius its beyond compare, venture out farther than that and its comparable to BU. I guess that extra 0 was a typo?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby zonto » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:If you want to settle down in MA within a 50 mile radius of Boston, BC's reputation is beyond compare. I just hope the new Dean focuses on getting the National Reputation back to where it should be.


Source?

lmtt
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby lmtt » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:22 pm

I am probably going to be making the same decision and it will most likely come down to $$. Does either school have a reputation of being more willing to match scholarship offers from peer schools?

NOLA Proud
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby NOLA Proud » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am

Blindmelon wrote:Comes down to the following considerations:

1). Money, 2). Urban v. Rural .... thats about it, with the caveat that if you want to do anything "health law" related, then its BU.



BC is not urban, but it isn't rural either. They aren't tons of cow pastures in Newton. I think suburban would be a pretty apt description.

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby twintipping_bumps » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:41 am

Blindmelon wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:If you want to settle down in MA within a 50 mile radius of Boston, BC's reputation is beyond compare. I just hope the new Dean focuses on getting the National Reputation back to where it should be.


Within a 5 mile radius its beyond compare, venture out farther than that and its comparable to BU. I guess that extra 0 was a typo?


I think given the history of the two law schools and the prestige of the institutions as a whole, in the city, and especially once you get out into Boston suburbs on the North Shore, South Shore, etc. BC has the upper hand in reputation, despite the rankings. If the ranking trends continue, however, I think this will change, which was the concern I was expressing. It is hoped by many that the new dean will make a commitment to improving the ranking of the school, as the UG is currently focused on doing.

polinerdemory
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby polinerdemory » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Does BU win hands down with NYC placement over BC?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:I think given the history of the two law schools and the prestige of the institutions as a whole, in the city, and especially once you get out into Boston suburbs on the North Shore, South Shore, etc. BC has the upper hand in reputation, despite the rankings. If the ranking trends continue, however, I think this will change, which was the concern I was expressing. It is hoped by many that the new dean will make a commitment to improving the ranking of the school, as the UG is currently focused on doing.


I concede. If you want to do personal injury, or divorce law on the North Shore, then BC hands down. If you want to work in Boston proper, it doesn't matter which one you go to.

polinerdemory wrote:Does BU win hands down with NYC placement over BC?


Not really. BU seems to have an edge in higher vault rank firms (I know people at SullCrom, etc.), but that could be self-selection in BC people taking something like R+G or WilmerHale over more prestigious NY firms.

In conclusion, no one knows, but likely its the same.

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby IsleMet » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:37 pm

SBL wrote:BU let me in. BC waitlisted me. Therefore BU has better taste and is where you ought to go.



That's so weird. BC let me in and BU waitlisted me. And I went to BU for undergrad and had significant leadership experience in the BU community...This whole process is maddening.

So, by that logic...go to BC :-)

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:43 pm

If either school is even $5,000 cheaper (over the whole 3 years), go there. If not, go to BC. ACC sports are infinitely more exciting to watch than those of the America East conference.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18420
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Attorney wrote:If either school is even $5,000 cheaper (over the whole 3 years), go there.


If one had a personal preference for one over the other, I'd say go to that school even if the difference were $10k.

gobosox
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby gobosox » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:14 am

Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I went BU undergrad, and loved it.

That being said, its ranking is higher than BC, and I think the school environment is just better than BC. I like the urban area where you can walk to everything. BC is on the green line, but it's a good 25 mins or half hour to get to BU, and only then are you in the city area.

So if it's ranked higher and the environment is better, I say, why not?

Oh yeah, and BU has its own pub, with 50 different beers. If you drink all 50, they have a big party for you and give you a mug behind the bar that you get to drink out of whenever you go. That alone should sway it in your favor.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 am

lol @ ranked higher

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby BCLS » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:43 am

gobosox wrote:Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I went BU undergrad, and loved it.

That being said, its ranking is higher than BC, and I think the school environment is just better than BC. I like the urban area where you can walk to everything. BC is on the green line, but it's a good 25 mins or half hour to get to BU, and only then are you in the city area.

So if it's ranked higher and the environment is better, I say, why not?

Oh yeah, and BU has its own pub, with 50 different beers. If you drink all 50, they have a big party for you and give you a mug behind the bar that you get to drink out of whenever you go. That alone should sway it in your favor.


Which ranking? I prefer job placement statistics. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

PS- you went to BU undergrad because you didn't get into BC. It's ok, the same is true for most BU undergrads as well.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 am

BCLS wrote:
gobosox wrote:Let me start by saying that I'm biased. I went BU undergrad, and loved it.

That being said, its ranking is higher than BC, and I think the school environment is just better than BC. I like the urban area where you can walk to everything. BC is on the green line, but it's a good 25 mins or half hour to get to BU, and only then are you in the city area.

So if it's ranked higher and the environment is better, I say, why not?

Oh yeah, and BU has its own pub, with 50 different beers. If you drink all 50, they have a big party for you and give you a mug behind the bar that you get to drink out of whenever you go. That alone should sway it in your favor.


Which ranking? I prefer job placement statistics. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

PS- you went to BU undergrad because you didn't get into BC. It's ok, the same is true for most BU undergrads as well.


Chyea bro 3% ftw

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby BCLS » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:45 am

same could be said for 6 placement spots on US News.

gobosox
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: BU or BC

Postby gobosox » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:13 am

That's your argument? One website said BC post-college employment was 3% better? Lol. Come on. Take a statistics course.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU or BC

Postby BCLS » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:20 am

gobosox wrote:That's your argument? One website said BC post-college employment was 3% better? Lol. Come on. Take a statistics course.

One website that happens to be extremely credible. The statistics aren't hard to find.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie and 5 guests