Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby gmreplay » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

What are some things a CLS degree holder can do that a Michigan grad could not (or wouldn't have a very good chance at)? It appears that CLS produces a lot more federal judges, so that might be one difference. Better access to biglaw with CLS certainly. What else? Does Michigan beat out CLS in any similar category?

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby HugerThanSoup » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:18 am

gmreplay wrote:What are some things a CLS degree holder can do that a Michigan grad could not (or wouldn't have a very good chance at)? It appears that CLS produces a lot more federal judges, so that might be one difference. Better access to biglaw with CLS certainly. What else? Does Michigan beat out CLS in any similar category?


Michigan = better access to "freezing-cold Detroit Law"

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 am

gmreplay wrote:What are some things a CLS degree holder can do that a Michigan grad could not (or wouldn't have a very good chance at)? It appears that CLS produces a lot more federal judges, so that might be one difference. Better access to biglaw with CLS certainly. What else? Does Michigan beat out CLS in any similar category?


Hmm...you say that CLS produces more judges and gives better opportunities for better firm jobs...easy decision here.

Unless you want PI. But I'm sure that CLS>Michigan for that, too. Plus, PI is for pussies who think they can change the world.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby dr123 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
gmreplay wrote:What are some things a CLS degree holder can do that a Michigan grad could not (or wouldn't have a very good chance at)? It appears that CLS produces a lot more federal judges, so that might be one difference. Better access to biglaw with CLS certainly. What else? Does Michigan beat out CLS in any similar category?


Hmm...you say that CLS produces more judges and gives better opportunities for better firm jobs...easy decision here.

Unless you want PI. But I'm sure that CLS>Michigan for that, too. Plus, PI is for pussies who think they can change the world.


QFsomeone who doesnt know what theyre talking about

User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby JG Hall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 am

SCOTUS, obvi.

Sorry Justice Murphy

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 am

dr123 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
gmreplay wrote:What are some things a CLS degree holder can do that a Michigan grad could not (or wouldn't have a very good chance at)? It appears that CLS produces a lot more federal judges, so that might be one difference. Better access to biglaw with CLS certainly. What else? Does Michigan beat out CLS in any similar category?


Hmm...you say that CLS produces more judges and gives better opportunities for better firm jobs...easy decision here.

Unless you want PI. But I'm sure that CLS>Michigan for that, too. Plus, PI is for pussies who think they can change the world.


QFsomeone who doesnt know what theyre talking about

It was a joke...plus, what does QFsomeone mean?

gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby gmreplay » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 am

What confuses me so much is that when it's CLS v Umich at $0 scholarships, the answer on the board is universally CLS because it's significantly better. When it's CLS vs Umich with a full ride at Umich and 70k at CLS, it's Umich universally because the differences between the schools aren't so big after all. If the difference between the schools is significant enough to make CLS the clear winner with 0 scholarships, shouldn't those differences make it competitive when dealing with the latter scenario? Certainly the ability to enter the courts, government, etc at a higher rate has to be worth something.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 am

gmreplay wrote:What confuses me so much is that when it's CLS v Umich at $0 scholarships, the answer on the board is universally CLS because it's significantly better. When it's CLS vs Umich with a full ride at Umich and 70k at CLS, it's Umich universally because the differences between the schools aren't so big after all. If the difference between the schools is significant enough to make CLS the clear winner with 0 scholarships, shouldn't those differences make it competitive when dealing with the latter scenario? Certainly the ability to enter the courts, government, etc at a higher rate has to be worth something.

The thing is CLS is only better than Michigan with grades that are the same and there is very little (maybe nothing?) that will be totally shut out at Michigan that would have been open at CLS. However, both have some risks if you are below median and don't get biglaw or a qualifying job for LRAP (which at Michigan is any legal job). If there is no risk at Michigan because of a full scholarship most people would assume that that is better then some risk at CLS since you can't really predict what your grades will be.

gmreplay
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby gmreplay » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm

When looked at that way, the differences seem quite minuscule. However, when I look at the notable alumni rolls for both schools I am still struck by the differences. Columbia produces SCOTUS judges, federal judges, major government officials, etc, and Michigan... doesn't; at least not to the same extent.

This is of great concern for me because I'm currently making the choice between Michigan with 45k and Columbia probably without scholarships. I asked about it before and the answer was unanimously in favor of Columbia. Now I'm starting to see more people claiming that they're about equivalent. Leaving Michigan means leaving my family behind, which is a big problem. I'm willing to do that if it means getting a better education and making better connections in NYC, but now I'm not sure what to think.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Options with a CLS degree vs Michigan

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:13 pm

gmreplay wrote:When looked at that way, the differences seem quite minuscule. However, when I look at the notable alumni rolls for both schools I am still struck by the differences. Columbia produces SCOTUS judges, federal judges, major government officials, etc, and Michigan... doesn't; at least not to the same extent.

This is of great concern for me because I'm currently making the choice between Michigan with 45k and Columbia probably without scholarships. I asked about it before and the answer was unanimously in favor of Columbia. Now I'm starting to see more people claiming that they're about equivalent. Leaving Michigan means leaving my family behind, which is a big problem. I'm willing to do that if it means getting a better education and making better connections in NYC, but now I'm not sure what to think.


Better education I would say definitely not. I think the education you would receive at any of the top 14 schools (probably even lower) would all be functionally equivalent. Better connections in NYC are definitely going to be in Columbia's favor. The difference in COA for the two with your scholarship is going to be around 70k. So you have pros and cons for sure. Less debt and family vs. lay prestige and improved job prospects (though no by a vast margin)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big_willy_style_333, freekick, Grond, ss12345 and 5 guests