2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Dang, you guys all think Illinois is going to be bumped down quite a bit :(

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Barbie wrote:Dang, you guys all think Illinois is going to be bumped down quite a bit :(


No, if anything up. They seem to spending tons of $ on attracting students to bump their medians.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:11 pm

duh- cuz barbie wont be there

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm

in the sake of selection sunday- which 4 schools will be the last ones in on the top100?
who will be the first 4 out?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:16 pm

northwood wrote:in the sake of selection sunday- which 4 schools will be the last ones in on the top100?
who will be the first 4 out?


I'm still pulling for Stetson to jump into the top 100. It places very well regionally, and is a pretty awesome school. I think it deserves its place in the bottom of tier 2.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby super6 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:17 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Barbie wrote:Dang, you guys all think Illinois is going to be bumped down quite a bit :(


No, if anything up. They seem to spending tons of $ on attracting students to bump their medians.

This is what I'm thinking. Alabama is doing the same thing and they had a false dip in the rankings last time from what I heard because USNWR says they never got their employment data.

wdk3618
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby wdk3618 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Barbie wrote:Dang, you guys all think Illinois is going to be bumped down quite a bit :(



yea but they have no reason to do so. Illinois bumped its median to a 167 finally. and this year they are probably going to hit a 168. with the shrinking class size and slowly recovering chi market illinois is on the rise.

but all these guesses are rediculous no one has any idea but if people are going to speculate use facts to back it up.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

i think too much emphasis is put on the rankings. Sure it gives a good indication about the school and its reputation, but once you get out of the top 6 or so ( id even say you can make a case for the top14) the schools become more regional, especially the lower you go. I would look at the rankings for a good indication about the schools reputation in its home market, and see if and how much competition is around. That being said- it should come down to a variety of factors, with the rankings being one of the lesser factors (assuming of course you arent looking at t50 and TTTT). Its a good starting point but for a majority of people in this thrad, and on this site- you are further along your law school decision making process than a newbie- so i would place less emphasis on them.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby dr123 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Agreed, the usnews rankings should be treated as guide, not set in stone fact, imo

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I am hoping utah moves up.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:15 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Where are the Harvard jokes? I've met some Harvard law school grads and was not impressed at all. In fact I was pretty disappointed. The hype just doesn't make sense. The grads I've met couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their hands being held.



Hey, paper bags are no joke. Those things are ruthless.


The Harvard people I've met aren't impressive. As much hate as it gets on here, the most impressive people I've met are probably Georgetown people. Now granted, this is a tiny sample...

The thing with Harvard Law grads is I think the best students go on to careers as professors, advisers and other non-practicing type careers. That means the grads that I come into contact with as a practicing attorney are probably not the best students/attorneys from Harvard, whereas most people I meet from say, Penn State, will probably be amongst the best that school has produced. This is the same dynamic that people used pretty effectively to debunk the Vault Law school rankings...

It's been said before, the skills that get people into good law schools are not the same skills that it takes to be a good practicing attorney. That being said, people from Harvard can still progress in their careers without those skills (because the prestige/presumed intellectual capability tied with a Harvard degree compensates), whereas someone from Penn State probably won't pull off the same trick as easily.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 pm

danquayle wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Where are the Harvard jokes? I've met some Harvard law school grads and was not impressed at all. In fact I was pretty disappointed. The hype just doesn't make sense. The grads I've met couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their hands being held.



Hey, paper bags are no joke. Those things are ruthless.


The Harvard people I've met aren't impressive. As much hate as it gets on here, the most impressive people I've met are probably Georgetown people. Now granted, this is a tiny sample...

The thing with Harvard Law grads is I think the best students go on to careers as professors, advisers and other non-practicing type careers. That means the grads that I come into contact with as a practicing attorney are probably not the best students/attorneys from Harvard, whereas most people I meet from say, Penn State, will probably be amongst the best that school has produced. This is the same dynamic that people used pretty effectively to debunk the Vault Law school rankings...

It's been said before, the skills that get people into good law schools are not the same skills that it takes to be a good practicing attorney. That being said, people from Harvard can still progress in their careers without those skills (because the prestige/presumed intellectual capability tied with a Harvard degree compensates), whereas someone from Penn State probably won't pull off the same trick as easily.


The ppl from Harvard I met were super impressive. Now we have a terrible dilemma. Whose anecdote is worth more? :roll:

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
danquayle wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:Where are the Harvard jokes? I've met some Harvard law school grads and was not impressed at all. In fact I was pretty disappointed. The hype just doesn't make sense. The grads I've met couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without their hands being held.



Hey, paper bags are no joke. Those things are ruthless.


The Harvard people I've met aren't impressive. As much hate as it gets on here, the most impressive people I've met are probably Georgetown people. Now granted, this is a tiny sample...

The thing with Harvard Law grads is I think the best students go on to careers as professors, advisers and other non-practicing type careers. That means the grads that I come into contact with as a practicing attorney are probably not the best students/attorneys from Harvard, whereas most people I meet from say, Penn State, will probably be amongst the best that school has produced. This is the same dynamic that people used pretty effectively to debunk the Vault Law school rankings...

It's been said before, the skills that get people into good law schools are not the same skills that it takes to be a good practicing attorney. That being said, people from Harvard can still progress in their careers without those skills (because the prestige/presumed intellectual capability tied with a Harvard degree compensates), whereas someone from Penn State probably won't pull off the same trick as easily.


The ppl from Harvard I met were super impressive. Now we have a terrible dilemma. Whose anecdote is worth more? :roll:


Looks like you can't read. No wonder you were impressed.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 pm

danquayle wrote:
Looks like you can't read. No wonder you were impressed.


There were two quotes regarding Harvard quoted for a reason. It was a comment on the general premise rather than either specific post.

bayvcroberts
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:07 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby bayvcroberts » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 am

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
3. Columbia
5. Chicago
6. NYU
8. Berkeley
8. Penn
9. Michigan
9. Northwestern
11. UVA
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby dpk711 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 am

bayvcroberts wrote:1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
3. Columbia
5. Chicago
6. NYU
8. Berkeley
8. Penn
9. Michigan
9. Northwestern
11. UVA
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC


egregious Columbia trolling

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby jeremysen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 am

bayvcroberts wrote:1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
3. Columbia
5. Chicago
6. NYU
8. 7. Berkeley
8. 7. Penn
9. Michigan
9. Northwestern
11. UVA
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC



At the very least, be consistent.


(passive aggressive way of disagreeing with you :wink: )

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby 005618502 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:48 am

jeremysen wrote:
bayvcroberts wrote:1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
3. Columbia
5. Chicago
6. NYU
8. 7. Berkeley
8. 7. Penn
9. Michigan
9. Northwestern
11. UVA
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC



At the very least, be consistent.


(passive aggressive way of disagreeing with you :wink: )


Plus showing the fact he cant count, which is embarrassing I must say.

I was really hoping the real rankings would come out before the 15th, but it is looking like we are going to have to wait.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 am

That's funny. the people I met from Harvard were very disappointing. So much so that I didn't even bother to apply.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby dpk711 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 am

TheTopBloke wrote:That's funny. the people I met from Harvard were very disappointing. So much so that I didn't even bother to apply.


I guess you got accepted regardless?

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 am

dpk711 wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:That's funny. the people I met from Harvard were very disappointing. So much so that I didn't even bother to apply.


I guess you got accepted regardless?


Umm, yeah. Ok, sure.

User avatar
DMBFan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby DMBFan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:54 am

northwood wrote:i think too much emphasis is put on the rankings. Sure it gives a good indication about the school and its reputation, but once you get out of the top 6 or so ( id even say you can make a case for the top14) the schools become more regional, especially the lower you go. I would look at the rankings for a good indication about the schools reputation in its home market, and see if and how much competition is around. That being said- it should come down to a variety of factors, with the rankings being one of the lesser factors (assuming of course you arent looking at t50 and TTTT). Its a good starting point but for a majority of people in this thrad, and on this site- you are further along your law school decision making process than a newbie- so i would place less emphasis on them.


I'd like to know more about this. I live in GA. How big a difference would going to Emory/UGA/GA State/Mercer make? Does a median Emory student beat out a top 10% student at Mercer? I realize networking/connections are important, but controlling for these factors?

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am

Networking and connections in this 'business' are ridiculously overrated.

justifytheparadox
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby justifytheparadox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 am

dpk711 wrote:
bayvcroberts wrote:1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
3. Columbia
5. Chicago
6. NYU
8. Berkeley
8. Penn
9. Michigan
9. Northwestern
11. UVA
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. GULC
15. Vandy
16. Texas
16. UCLA
18. USC


egregious Columbia trolling


TITCR, +1

mac87
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: 2012 U.S. News Rankings (March 15th... It's official)

Postby mac87 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 am





Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests