I'm not a partier at all, can I survive at FSU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gov

Re: I'm not a partier at all, can I survive at FSU?

Postby gov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Sandro wrote:
govorett wrote:
Sandro wrote:You hated the QOL in Atlanta but want to move to Tallahassee ? :shock:

There are gorgeous places to live in Tallahassee.

Gorgeous ? Like, on the beach ? Or up in the Rocky Mountains ? Or in the heart of a big city ? Or... in the middle of the woods?

Like very nice houses, wealthy neighborhoods, wooded areas...surrounded by national forests. Plenty to do outside of the "college party scene" everyone thinks engulfs the city.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm

There's lots of smart people at FSU. I wouldn't worry about it.

http://www.zaffnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Brett-Favre-Jenn-Sterger1.jpg

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:33 pm

govorett wrote:
Sandro wrote:
govorett wrote:
Sandro wrote:You hated the QOL in Atlanta but want to move to Tallahassee ? :shock:

There are gorgeous places to live in Tallahassee.

Gorgeous ? Like, on the beach ? Or up in the Rocky Mountains ? Or in the heart of a big city ? Or... in the middle of the woods?

Like very nice houses, wealthy neighborhoods, wooded areas...surrounded by national forests. Plenty to do outside of the "college party scene" everyone thinks engulfs the city.

Lets be serious - this is everywhere in inland Florida pretty much. Which is great, if you want your life to consist of living in these woods by yourself. There isnt much to do, compared to say Atlanta.

gov

Postby gov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Sandro wrote:
Lets be serious - this is everywhere in inland Florida pretty much. Which is great, if you want your life to consist of living in these woods by yourself. There isnt much to do, compared to say Atlanta.

It depends what you are looking for. In terms of being in the woods by yourself, that isn't the case at all. QOL doesn't necessarily mean having lots to do/living in a city... what is seems the OP is looking for is a place where she can live away if she wants to. Once you get within a 1.5 mile radius of the campus, it is not "party central". Tallahassee would be a great place to raise a family...most people wouldn't know that however [including students who don't get outside the immediate area surrounding FSU]

And yes, even if this is something you can find in most places, it doesn't negate the fact that Tallahassee can have a nice QOL if that's what people like/want.
Last edited by gov on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Agreed. UF over FSU all day. There are quiet areas.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Too bad we can't trade acceptances. It kills me to see T14 traded for FSU. UF maybe, but FSU?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

rman1201 wrote:Too bad we can't trade acceptances. It kills me to see T14 traded for FSU. UF maybe, but FSU?

I want to practice in Florida/Tampa Bay after graduation working in public interest law or government.

FSU Law is blocks from the capitol. Undeniable advantages over UF for this.

minuit

Postby minuit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm

OP, I am PMing you :)

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:23 pm

FSU Law is blocks from the capitol. Undeniable advantages over UF for this.[/quote]

So is georgetown, which OP should attend

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:FSU Law is blocks from the capitol. Undeniable advantages over UF for this.

So is georgetown, which OP should attend[/quote]

Go read OP's post. I have a feeling DC is a no go if Atlanta was too much for her and the QOL in Tally/Gainesville is attractive.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:51 pm

As far as FSU goes, you can choose to be apart of the party scene or NOT. Per your condition if you cannot individually resist the draw of parties galore and a vibrant social scene, FSU is NOT for you.

However if you can, there exists a large enough "scene" in Tallahassee to suit you. It's not a metropolitan. So if you do not want to live by those who party, that is an easy enough feat to accomplish. It is the capital. So obviously there is money and influence in the city. And normally, you won't find such individuals at keggers.

You can easily get your hippie or seclusion on if you want.

I recommend Heritage Groove as a place to live...

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:07 pm

mez06 wrote:I recommend Heritage Groove as a place to live...

Wow. That is terrible advice. Heritage Grove has about 5 frat houses and is entirely populated by undergrads and partying is incredibly common there. Recently a female student tragically died after she was shot at one of the fraternity houses when a student allegedly decided to show off his new firearm accessory and the gun went off. Alcohol was involved.

All of that aside, I think OP could really be happy in Tally. My suggestion is to look east of the law school and main campus around Park Avenue and the side streets around it. If you live on that side of town the only time you will experience undergrads and the partying atmosphere you are trying to avoid is when you go to the main campus/strip/other places known for partying. Mid-town has plenty of good restaurants and coffee-shops that undergrads don't go to and the crowd is older and more mature.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

furrywalls wrote:
mez06 wrote:I recommend Heritage Groove as a place to live...

Wow. That is terrible advice. Heritage Grove has about 5 frat houses and is entirely populated by undergrads and partying is incredibly common there.

Ahem, I meant DO NOT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:17 pm

SBL wrote:Picking FSU over UF because it's in slightly less of a college town is silly.

The main reason its silly is because there are three colleges in a 5 mile radius at the center of Tallahassee; it is very much a college town.

Anyway, even if you want to practice in Florida, I'd go to Duke or UVA or get a really great scholly (I'd imagine) at UT or full ride at Emory (I'd imagine). With those numbers, I think it's a waste to go to UF or FSU, not because the schools won't educate you, but they won't offer you the same job prospects that other schools will that you can get into at a low cost.

Unless you are a monster at networking in which case you might want to think about FSU and network with state legislators and the like.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:21 pm

2011Law wrote:Anyway, even if you want to practice in Florida, I'd go to Duke or UVA or get a really great scholly (I'd imagine) at UT or full ride at Emory (I'd imagine). With those numbers, I think it's a waste to go to UF or FSU, not because the schools won't educate you, but they won't offer you the same job prospects that other schools will that you can get into at a low cost.

Unless you are a monster at networking in which case you might want to think about FSU and network with state legislators and the like.

With ties to FL, this.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm

OP, step back and think about this. You have far better than 50% odds (usually with $$$) at any school outside of HYS, and you are going to FSU?

FSU?

Find some T25 schools where you would enjoy the quality of life and go there. WUSTL would give you a rather large scholarship even this late. Maybe Vanderbilt. Or wait until next cycle and write a better essay for Duke. You should have had nearly 100% odds (71 out of 74 accepted) there.

Pleaaaaase don't waste your 3.8 and your 173 on FSU. People with far worse numbers are getting scholarships at much better schools.

This all being said, I think Jimbo is going to have the Noles back in prime contention for ACC and National titles next year!

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Attorney wrote:OP, step back and think about this. You have far better than 50% odds (usually with $$$) at any school outside of HYS, and you are going to FSU?

FSU?

Find some T25 schools where you would enjoy the quality of life and go there. WUSTL would give you a rather large scholarship even this late. Maybe Vanderbilt. Or wait until next cycle and write a better essay for Duke. You should have had nearly 100% odds (71 out of 74 accepted) there.

Pleaaaaase don't waste your 3.8 and your 173 on FSU. People with far worse numbers are getting scholarships at much better schools.

This all being said, I think Jimbo is going to have the Noles back in prime contention for ACC and National titles next year!

If OP really DOESN'T WANT BIGLAW (caps to emphasize the fact that OP isn't even interested in keeping that option open), then it makes perfect sense to go with the $$$.

There's just no reason that "the $$$" shouldn't be at a much higher-ranked school.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm

flcath wrote:
Attorney wrote:OP, step back and think about this. You have far better than 50% odds (usually with $$$) at any school outside of HYS, and you are going to FSU?

FSU?

If OP really DOESN'T WANT BIGLAW (caps to emphasize the fact that OP isn't even interested in keeping that option open), then it makes perfect sense to go with the $$$.

There's just no reason that "the $$$" shouldn't be at a much higher-ranked school.

Very much agree.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”