Maryland JD/MBA vs. Temple JD/MBA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Maryland JD/MBA OOS vs Temple JD/MBA in-state

Maryland JD/MBA
33%
Temple JD/MBA
67%

Total votes: 12

2things2

Maryland JD/MBA vs. Temple JD/MBA

Postby 2things2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:35 pm

First thing: For those who want to tell me to not pursue a dual JD/MBA, just stop now. I know this is what I want to do.

More importantly: I'm a Philly native trying to decide between a Temple JD/MBA degree instate or a Maryland JD/MBA OOS. Maryland's business school highly outranks Temple's, yet I'd really like to save the money by staying instate. If it was simply between law schools I would go to Temple, but I just can't ignore Maryland's business school's ranking (top 20). Thoughts? Hints? Experiences?

showNprove

Re: Maryland JD/MBA vs. Temple JD/MBA

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:23 am

If you want to be a lawyer, the ranking of the MBA program shouldn't matter all that much, so go to Temple in-state. If your intended career path is something different, then put more weight on it.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 am

The only thing I would caution you about is that the LS campus is in Baltimore and the SOB is in College Park. That commute could get difficult if you have to do it often.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

If it was simply between law schools I would go to Temple

This gives you the answer. People who get JD/MBA's usually (and I repeat, usually) get it mainly for the JD. People simply do not get JDs because they wanted the MBA. In pursing a JD/MBA, the law school > the business school. Unless we talkin bout NU :lol:

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 am

First, Maryland's MBA program is 45 not top 20. Second, Maryland's MBA is offered in College Park for JD/MBA so it would be a pain to commute when you have to take classes from both schools in the last 2 years.

Considering you're IS at Temple, hands down it would be a much better idea to go there. If you are planning on practicing law and using the MBA as something in addition to make you a better lawyer, then it doesn't really matter where the MBA is from. Any accredited MBA program will teach you the necessary business basics.

If you don't know if you'll be practicing law or going into business, still go to Temple b/c it'll cost you less and I don't see how it makes sense to pay sticker OOS for a Maryland JD/MBA.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 am

ran12 wrote:Considering you're IS at Temple, hands down it would be a much better idea to go there. If you are planning on practicing law and using the MBA as something in addition to make you a better lawyer, then it doesn't really matter where the MBA is from. Any accredited MBA program will teach you the necessary business basics.

I do agree with you, but I was just wondering how you think an MBA would make one a better lawyer? If may give you some insight into the business aspect of running a firm, but is that really worth the extra year when you can learn that on the job during your associate years?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
ran12 wrote:Considering you're IS at Temple, hands down it would be a much better idea to go there. If you are planning on practicing law and using the MBA as something in addition to make you a better lawyer, then it doesn't really matter where the MBA is from. Any accredited MBA program will teach you the necessary business basics.

I do agree with you, but I was just wondering how you think an MBA would make one a better lawyer? If may give you some insight into the business aspect of running a firm, but is that really worth the extra year when you can learn that on the job during your associate years?

In a MBA program, you learn all about finance, strategy, decision modeling, communications, marketing. Things like that help you better understand your client and case. For example, in corporate finance, you learn all about how firms leverage assets and price them and how that effects M&A. If you have that kind of knowledge, you're a lot more valuable b/c you actually know what you're talking about when discussing with clients. People without business education who go into corporate law will learn things but an actual education in business is def better.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 am

ran12 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

In a MBA program, you learn all about finance, strategy, decision modeling, communications, marketing. Things like that help you better understand your client and case. For example, in corporate finance, you learn all about how firms leverage assets and price them and how that effects M&A. If you have that kind of knowledge, you're a lot more valuable b/c you actually know what you're talking about when discussing with clients. People without business education who go into corporate law will learn things but an actual education in business is def better.

Credited. How much more useful is the MBA in that regard than say, an UG business major?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
ran12 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Credited. How much more useful is the MBA in that regard than say, an UG business major?

UG business majors will have basic to medium knowledge but MBA courses are much different. They go much more in depth and utilize the experience of the students to really set up the learning and almost everything is team based. One difference I found out about recently is that managerial accounting in MBA is nothing like managerial in UG b/c in UG, it's really cost accounting whereas in MBA, it's more about understanding how you get the costs through cost system models and variance analysis then use that to make managerial decisions. the UG course doesn't teach the underlying aspects and how the things you learn are utilized in the busines world.

hungryjack

Postby hungryjack » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 am

imo, the only real value a JD/MBA has if you go into IB/PE restructuring. most senior positions require a JD/MBA, however...from what i have seen, these are almost exclusively JD/MBA holders from top14 programs JD, top 15 bschools

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:04 pm

YankeesFan wrote:The only thing I would caution you about is that the LS campus is in Baltimore and the SOB is in College Park. That commute could get difficult if you have to do it often.

I was taking this into consideration as well, but I can't imagine it would be incredibly difficult to deal with that commute (wouldn't be until the last 2 years anyway). I'm surprised its swayed toward Temple at this point, but I guess it makes sense when you think about the money. Also I got that Maryland's Smith School of Business is ranked 19 from Wikipedia which is quotes the Financial Times.

Thanks to everyone for the 2 cents.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

2things2 wrote:I was taking this into consideration as well, but I can't imagine it would be incredibly difficult to deal with that commute (wouldn't be until the last 2 years anyway). I'm surprised its swayed toward Temple at this point, but I guess it makes sense when you think about the money. Also I got that Maryland's Smith School of Business is ranked 19 from Wikipedia which is quotes the Financial Times.

Thanks to everyone for the 2 cents.

There are multiple bschool rankings.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”