Choosing Seton Hall over Wake and others?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
YankeesFan

Choosing Seton Hall over Wake and others?

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 pm

So heres the deal. I got into Seton Hall with a 35,000 a year scholarship and I will hopefully be admitted to their JD/MA in International Affairs program. I currently work in Human Rights (yes the field really exists) and I would like to either work in policy or for a large NGO or non-profit doing Human Rights Law when I graduate. I have no desire for BigLaw.

It seems that Seton Hall has everything I want. Low tuition (with my scholarship), all the international law course offerings I could want, HR/Immigration clinics, a center dedicated to work on Guantanamo (which is a big part of my work now). I just cant seem to really jump on board especially considering my scholarships to Wake and Villanova and acceptances to GM and UMD. Would I be crazy to go to SH over these other schools?

Hannibal

Re: Choosing Seton Hall over Wake and others?

Postby Hannibal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

The jobs you're talking about are pretty much impossible to get at lower schools, from what I've heard. Regardless, tuition doesn't matter much if you're set on practicing PI for the rest of your life.

Also, Newark is terrible.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm

What are the stips to the Seton Hall scholly? I personally think in general, Villanova (even with the recent drama) and Wake have both better reputations and better markets, so if you have money there, I'd really think about either of those two (or if you're in state at GMU). I don't know, being from the tri-state area, I just feel like Seton Hall doesn't have a very good rep around here.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Im from the Tri-State as well so I know what you mean. And I think that is whats holding me back, the less than stellar reputation. But is that a good enough reason to forgo the great programs that interest me?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

The best reason to forgo the program you want is that it's irrelevant.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

But its not. It isnt just that they offer classes in this area. I could be named a fellow to the Guantanamo Project. Work on cases in the HR/Imm. clinic, develop relationship with the professors who oversee these projects, etc.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

YankeesFan wrote:But its not. It isnt just that they offer classes in this area. I could be named a fellow to the Guantanamo Project. Work on cases in the HR/Imm. clinic, develop relationship with the professors who oversee these projects, etc.

I would do the following:

1. Carefully examine the program at Seton Hall. Ask for multiple examples of successful students who went the route you intend to take. Ask how many people tried and failed. It's clear that with your scholarship, they want you at Seton Hall, make them come clean about the program.
2. Decide if you are comfortable with the stipulations in the scholarship. Don't assume you will be above the median, and then, assuming median grades, can you still pursue the path you wish to pursue? If not, then you absolutely need those stipulations lowered. If its top 40%, ask for top 80%, and hope they can meet you at 60%. That seems reasonable to assume.
3. Repeat step 2 for the other scholarships. Look for students engaged in the kind of work you want to pursue at the other institutions. Pre and Post grad. Have they been successful?
4. Cross GM and UMD off your list if they are at sticker and will not come close to matching after negotiations.

I think if you do this, you might come away feeling better about Seton Hall - or not. Either way, critically examining the programs should lead you to the proper choice.

Edit: I would largely ignore the markets. None of them are so great that you would be crazy not to try and break into them. D.C. is horrible. PA and NC are small or mid-sized at best. NY is crowded. Plus, the work you would like to pursue seems to cross markets.
Last edited by Justathought on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 pm

That was probably one of the best responses Ive seen on TLS. Thank you, that was quite constructive.

And the stip is 50%. Wake's is smaller scholly but their stip is top 2/3. Do you think that they will budge?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

YankeesFan wrote:That was probably one of the best responses Ive seen on TLS. Thank you, that was quite constructive.

And the stip is 50%. Wake's is smaller scholly but their stip is top 2/3. Do you think that they will budge?

Most likely not, but 50% is reasonable. You should still try leveraging your superior stipulations from a higher ranked school.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Go to a school where you can continue to work in a paid position in your field while in school. Do not give up your present job for any of these schools no matter what anybody tells you. "Oh I couldnt imagine working and going to law school at the same time!" is what they will say. That standard is from the 1990s when you could emerge from these schools and actually find work.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”