UC Hastings restrictions for medical marijuana patients Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

To grow, or not to grow, that is the question

Make the extra 10k a year by doing a basically legal grow!
29%
Don't even consider it, you're going to be a lawyer!
36%
I have no idea, but I feel like voting
36%

Total votes: 28

HastingsLove

New

UC Hastings restrictions for medical marijuana patients

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 pm

My friend got into Hastings. She wants to know if she is still able to grow and consume her medical marijuana. Is this a bad idea? If Hastings finds out could they kick her out of law school (assuming she is following state law)? Could the BAR hold this against her? What about the BAR in other states? How do the Cali law schools feel about this in general? Any info about this topic would be great! Thank you!

She is literally going to do 16 plants in a 4x4 area in her closet.

P.S. California would never find her guilty, but she could be arrested and later acquitted. And the consequences of this happening (although it won’t) are what she and I are concerned about.

Thanks again!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: UC Hastings restrictions for medical marijuana patients

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't think this is the type of question that a message board full of 0Ls is qualified to answer.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Something tells me this isn't really about your friend...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:51 pm

I hope your "friend" realizes there are laws other than California laws.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

If I may ask, what medical condition does your friend suffer from that necessitates smoking ten thousand dollars worth of weed every year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:58 pm

bk187 wrote:I hope your "friend" realizes there are laws other than California laws.
She knows this but... http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/19 ... arijuana19

You are protected from the Feds if you follow the law, but is she protected from Hastings?

Also, I realize this isn't the best place for this, but I know there has to be at least one smart person from California that has some information regarding law schools and medical marijuana.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

HastingsLove wrote:Also, I realize this isn't the best place for this, but I know there has to be at least one smart person from California that has some information regarding law schools and medical marijuana.
Most of us are smart enough to just not take the chance or if we do do it, to just hope not to get caught.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Marionberry wrote:If I may ask, what medical condition does your friend suffer from that necessitates smoking ten thousand dollars worth of weed every year?
+1

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

minuit wrote:
Marionberry wrote:If I may ask, what medical condition does your friend suffer from that necessitates smoking ten thousand dollars worth of weed every year?
+1
One that marijuana helps, and qualifies the person for medicinal use in California and other states.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Seriously, though, is there even a legitimate need for medicinal marjuana in this case? If so, are there any conventional drugs that can effectively treat the condition? Because if it is just someone who likes to smoke weed, with a card prescribed for some bs reason, in the very best case scenario they would be viewed as someone with a substance abuse problem which will likely present serious problems with the bar, independent of any legal implications.

I have a hard time envisioning anyone suffering from a condition that actually necessitates cannabis even being in a position to enter law school, much less performing at the level necessary to make law school a worthwhile investment. Also, if someone is smoking (conservatively) 1 gram a day, their cognitive performance will possibly be impaired enough to prevent them from doing well in law school anyway.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Marionberry wrote:Seriously, though, is there even a legitimate need for medicinal marjuana in this case? If so, are there any conventional drugs that can effectively treat the condition? Because if it is just someone who likes to smoke weed, with a card prescribed for some bs reason, in the very best case scenario they would be viewed as someone with a substance abuse problem which will likely present serious problems with the bar, independent of any legal implications.

I have a hard time envisioning anyone suffering from a condition that actually necessitates cannabis even being in a position to enter law school, much less performing at the level necessary to make law school a worthwhile investment. Also, if someone is smoking (conservatively) 1 gram a day, their cognitive performance will possibly be impaired enough to prevent them from doing well in law school anyway.

This is a load of FAIL!

Yes there is a legitimate need for the use in this case, as I have said. Also, there are other drugs that help, however, marijuana is far more effective (immediate relief, free because it can be grown, and very effective) than the other drugs for this person, and is the SAFEST (marijuana has never killed anyone, EVER)! Also, this person used marijuana for four years (every day) at one of the UC's, and graduated with a 3.9+ GPA. Using marijuana does not affect scholastic performance, unless you use it while testing, studying, etc, which can also be said for alcohol or any other prescription medicine. I can assure you that her law school success will not be affected by her marijuana use (unless it's from Hastings kicking her out).

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

HastingsLove wrote: This is a load of FAIL!

Yes there is a legitimate need for the use in this case, as I have said. Also, there are other drugs that help, however, marijuana is far more effective (immediate relief, free because it can be grown, and very effective) than the other drugs for this person, and is the SAFEST (marijuana has never killed anyone, EVER)! Also, this person used marijuana for four years (every day) at one of the UC's, and graduated with a 3.9+ GPA. Using marijuana does not affect scholastic performance, unless you use it while testing, studying, etc, which can also be said for alcohol or any other prescription medicine. I can assure you that her law school success will not be affected by her marijuana use (unless it's from Hastings kicking her out).
Lol okay.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 pm

HastingsLove wrote:
minuit wrote:
+1
One that marijuana helps, and qualifies the person for medicinal use in California and other states.
It's just so much! I guess it depends how you smoke it, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I don't think this is the type of question that a message board full of 0Ls is qualified to answer.
+1

I half want to tell you to ask Hastings, but IDK how they would react to it. I suggest your "friend" simply err on the side of caution and find another medication to treat their illness. Unless "they" are willing to risk getting kicked out and then trying to sue their way back into the school.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Unless OP is terminally ill, or undergoing some kind of treatment that significant decreases his appetite (chemotherapy, radiation, etc), there is probably a conventional medicine that is more effective in treating their condition. If that's the case, I think it's unlikely that anyone applying any real scrutiny is gonna believe that their cannabis use isn't largely recreational in nature, regardless of whether or not they have a card (because those are so hard to get, right?). I know very little about character and fitness standards, but I'm pretty sure that being a habitual user of any recreational drug, or habitually drinking to intoxication, is frowned upon.

However, I don't have any knowledge of how the california bar, or any other, would view this. OP, you would certainly be better off consulting an attorney who deals with this kind of stuff, or asking the school anonymously. However, you asked for our input and it sounds like a pretty bad idea. Also, you can recite all the normal pamphlets you want and you'll probably be preaching to the choir, as I imagine most people on here (myself included) are in favor of legalizing marjiuana, especially for medicinal purposes. However, the negative impact of heavy cannabis use on cognitive performance is pretty well established, though it is probably not permanent and quickly reversible if someone ceases use. If you're willing to add that possible extra difficulty when you're going to be graded on a curve against people, most of whom are as smart and possibly smarter than you and not stoned, that's your choice.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 pm

minuit wrote:
HastingsLove wrote:
minuit wrote:
+1
It's just so much! I guess it depends how you smoke it, though.
10,000 a year= about 2 pounds = 2-3 grams per day (i.e. 2 big joints a day, if you smoked it, but a lot of what is grown will be used to cook with, to stay away from smoking so much. And cooking with it makes it necessary to have a large amount). So it's really not "so much." It's hard for people to understand these conversions and marijuana's actual affect on a "conditioned" human body, if you have never used it for these reasons, or to this extent.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

minuit wrote:
+1
South Park, pizza, and video games deficiency.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Marionberry wrote:Unless OP is terminally ill, or undergoing some kind of treatment that significant decreases his appetite (chemotherapy, radiation, etc), there is probably a conventional medicine that is more effective in treating their condition. If that's the case, I think it's unlikely that anyone applying any real scrutiny is gonna believe that their cannabis use isn't largely recreational in nature, regardless of whether or not they have a card (because those are so hard to get, right?). I know very little about character and fitness standards, but I'm pretty sure that being a habitual user of any recreational drug, or habitually drinking to intoxication, is frowned upon.

However, I don't have any knowledge of how the california bar, or any other, would view this. OP, you would certainly be better off consulting an attorney who deals with this kind of stuff, or asking the school anonymously. However, you asked for our input and it sounds like a pretty bad idea. Also, you can recite all the normal pamphlets you want and you'll probably be preaching to the choir, as I imagine most people on here (myself included) are in favor of legalizing marjiuana, especially for medicinal purposes. However, the negative impact of heavy cannabis use on cognitive performance is pretty well established, though it is probably not permanent and quickly reversible if someone ceases use. If you're willing to add that possible extra difficulty when you're going to be graded on a curve against people, most of whom are as smart and possibly smarter than you and not stoned, that's your choice.
Literally, more than half the people in law school do drugs, just saying.

Also, I cannot stress enough that your "cognitive performance" assertion has never once been proven. Like I said, it only does this when using it. If she smokes at night time, she wakes up untouched by the side effects(in a cognitive performance sense), believe it or not she will perform as well as she can, even after smoking the night before.
Furthermore, the effectiveness of this medicine enables her to enjoy her life, and live pain free, which in turn allows her to work on school. Although you claim that there are other medicines that are as effective/more effective, I can only point out how they are not natural, are not as safe, they do not immediately alleviate the symptoms, they have serious negative side effects, they actually make her way more impaired than marijuana, and are much more costly.

But yeah, she should be forced to choose between her happiness, safety, and education?
Last edited by HastingsLove on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm

HastingsLove wrote:Literally, more than half the people in law school do drugs, just saying.
Yeah but they are doing cocaine, not marijuana.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:07 pm

HastingsLove wrote:Literally, more than half the people in law school do drugs, just saying.

Also, I cannot stress enough that your "cognitive performance" assertion has never once been proven. Like I said, it only does this when using it. If she smokes at night time, she wakes up untouched by the side effects(in a cognitive performance sense), believe it or not she will perform as well as she can, even after smoking the night before.
Furthermore, the effectiveness of this medicine enables her to enjoy her life, and live pain free, which in turn allows her to work on school. Although you claim that there are other medicines that are as effective/more effective, I can only point out how they are not natural, are not as safe, they do not immediately alleviate the symptoms, they have serious negative side effects, they actually make her way more impaired the marijuana, and are much more costly.

But yeah, she should be forced to choose between her happiness, safety, and education?
I like how you throw out a random figure without any proof (the majority of law students do drugs) and then go on to talk about how other people's assertions have never been proven. Seems like the weed is doing wonders for your cognitive faculties.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

bk187 wrote:
IDK about that, but I would be willing to bet that more LS students in Cali smoke than do cocaine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

HastingsLove wrote:
bk187 wrote:
IDK about that, but I would be willing to bet that more LS students in Cali smoke than do cocaine.
*whoosh*

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 pm

HastingsLove wrote:IDK about that, but I would be willing to bet that more LS students in Cali smoke than do cocaine.
No, bro. Future lawyers exclusively get drunk and snort cocaine off of hookers' asses. They don't do any pansy weed bullshit.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Have you, perchance, heard of the Controlled Substances Act? Do you know what a C&F board is?

I'll edit that now that I've read your off-point link to the LA Times' article.
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HastingsLove

New

Post by HastingsLove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:12 pm

bk187 wrote:

Furthermore, the effectiveness of this medicine enables her to enjoy her life, and live pain free, which in turn allows her to work on school. Although you claim that there are other medicines that are as effective/more effective, I can only point out how they are not natural, are not as safe, they do not immediately alleviate the symptoms, they have serious negative side effects, they actually make her way more impaired the marijuana, and are much more costly.

I like how you throw out a random figure without any proof (the majority of law students do drugs) and then go on to talk about how other people's assertions have never been proven. Seems like the weed is doing wonders for your cognitive faculties.
I count alcohol as a drug, and that was a hyperbole. I clearly never claimed to be God, or to having stats to prove that, so I thought it would be obvious that I was just making a point about the prevalence of drug use in law school.

Thanks for being a jerk though

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”