Do specialty rankings matter at the margin?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bill Cosby

Do specialty rankings matter at the margin?

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 am

I know the general consensus is that specialty rankings are (basically) useless. While I agree, is this always true? Are they significant enough to tip the decision in a borderline case? I'm currently weighing the choice between FSU and UF. I'd like to enter in to tax law. If I considered the programs equal otherwise based on scholarships, etc., would UF's highly ranked tax law program make it a more worthy choice?

rman1201

Re: Do specialty rankings matter at the margin?

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 am

Bill Cosby wrote:I know the general consensus is that specialty rankings are (basically) useless. While I agree, is this always true? Are they significant enough to tip the decision in a borderline case? I'm currently weighing the choice between FSU and UF. I'd like to enter in to tax law. If I considered the programs equal otherwise based on scholarships, etc., would UF's highly ranked tax law program make it a more worthy choice?

Yes, UF's tax law program actually is highly regarded.
Plus UF in general does have a slight edge over FSU.

showNprove

Re: Do specialty rankings matter at the margin?

Postby showNprove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 pm

If you you have two options and, after considering employment prospects, scholarships, location, etc., you can honestly say that you cannot choose between them, then consider specialty rankings.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”