Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

IUB ($120K)
17
68%
SJU (Full Tuition)
3
12%
Other (UMD or GW)
5
20%
 
Total votes: 25

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Because of the generous offers from both schools, I just need to find something upon graduation to help me service any small bit of LS debt as well as my UG debt. Big law is not necessary. Location is pretty much the only thing that has me on the fence. I am leaning towards IUB for obvious reasons, but I am still unsure. My only other options so far are UMD (no scholly info yet) or GW at sticker. My numbers make it unlikely that I would receive any offers from my other schools similar to what SJU and IUB have offered.

So here's the skinny:

IU-B with $40K/year; I'd pay what's left of tuition plus COL:

I dont know a damn thing about the Midwest and have only been there once, which coincidentally was for a basketball game vs. IU. The idea of moving away is a bit exciting, and I think I may enjoy my time there, but I dont know know comfortable I am with living out in Indiana long-term. All of my family is in NY and I have lived in DC for the past 5 years and fell in love with it. I know IUB has a strong alumni base in DC and NY, but obviously they mostly place in IN. Big law is the preferred outcome, but with that scholarship I can also end up in mid-law and be fine. If I dont end up in NY or DC I will be fine with anything along the East Coast (NJ, MD, etc.)

SJU with full tuition; I'd pay virtually no COL:

Because my family lives in NYC, I have been offered a room with my mom and great aunt free of charge if I go to SJU. Her house is about 15 minutes from campus. I would also not have to worry about most of my meals, as that would be covered as well. SJU's offer covers the full cost of tuition for all thre years regardless of tuition hikes, as well as any summer courses I decide to take. Problem is, SJU is near the bottom of a crowded NYC market, even with it's large alumni base. It is definitely in the right location, but my chances of getting something decent coming out of there are definitely slim.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:16 pm

I like you Cowgirl, we have similar numbers (yours are a little better), and I have to say this is a tough choice. I live in NY, I have friends at St. John's, and they have been undeniably pessimistic when it comes to job opportunities. I've heard most of the big firms were simply at OCI to collect resumes, and not many people got biglaw at all. But it sounds like you know this.

With IUB, you certainly stand a better chance of getting a decent job, but I just don't know that you can come close to counting on the east coast.

Your best option would probably be GW, but that's at sticker, so that's damn expensive.

I'm not casting a vote because I think its simply too close to call. I would probably take the risk and go to GW, I'm just not in love with the other two options. If I had to choose between the two... I guess St. John's. You'll find work in NY and its the cheapest option, but I don't know what kind of work it will be.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby kapachino » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm

I've been following your cycle on LSN, and totally think you should go for GW. Yeah, there's no money from them, but they do have the best employment options out of all the schools that took you. I think the cost of attending would be balanced out by your ability to find a job at graduation. Have you called them to see if there are any URM schollys or need-based aid you could get? I don't think you should give this up, especially since you want to stay in DC.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby Justathought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm

kapachino wrote:I've been following your cycle on LSN, and totally think you should go for GW. Yeah, there's no money from them, but they do have the best employment options out of all the schools that took you. I think the cost of attending would be balanced out by your ability to find a job at graduation. Have you called them to see if there are any URM schollys or need-based aid you could get? I don't think you should give this up, especially since you want to stay in DC.


To echo that sentiment, my cousin just finished at GW and she did find biglaw, all the way back in her home state of California. Anecdotal, but I thought I would share.
Last edited by Justathought on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I should probably also add that I have a bunch of UG debt, so I am a bit debt adverse. Adding a ton of debt on top of what I already have feels like financial suicide. If I pay sticker somewhere, I would literally HAVE to land big law if I didnt want to have to become a high-end "escort" on top of whatever FT job I had to pay back the loans.

GW has told me that I would qualify for need-based grants, but they max out at $16K a year. Other than that they have nothing for me.
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby fakemoney » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 pm

.
Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 pm

IU. Learn to like Bloomington and then Indianapolis/Chicago/St. Louis, wherever you end up. You will get a job from IU with decent grades. From SJU? Who knows.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm

fakemoney wrote:I'm in a similar situation, just substiute UMN for IUB, and I've got 60K instead of 120K. There are pro's and con's to the different schools, obviously. In your case, 120K at IUB is basically a full-ride minus COA, which shouldn't be too much in Indiana. It does have appealing aspects, as it's a huge scholarship at a t25-t35 school. Still, I think to go, you really gotta sell yourself on Indiana and the Midwest. GW might not be a bad option if you think you can handle the debt and are ambitious. SJU -- hey, it's a full tuition scholarship, and this is your home. But I'm sure your versed in the challenges of entering the NYC market from anything less than a top school. The fact that you would have next-to-zero debt probably makes it a better option for you than others. It probably comes down to what your ambitions are, and where you want to work.

As for myself, I have a lower scholarship at UMN, but I think the decent-size of MSP market makes taking on some debt more palatable there than in Indiana. I won't go to UMN, however, unless I can see myself staying in the Minneapolis area. It seems like one of the easier cities to which NY'ers can transition. For me, speaking as a NY'er, going to Indianapolis or thereabouts would be a harder sell.


Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It is a good-sized city with some nice areas. Everyone on TLS seems to love MSP, but Indy has low COL and can be a really nice place to live if you choose the right areas.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby kapachino » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:41 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I should probably also add that I have a bunch of UG debt, so I am a bit debt adverse. Adding a ton of debt on top of what I already have feels like financial suicide. If I pay sticker somewhere, I would literally HAVE to land big law if I didnt want to have to become a high-end "escort" on top of whatever FT job I had to pay back the loans.

GW has told me that I would qualify for need-based grants, but they max out at $16K a year. Other than that they have nothing for me.



Could you go part-time and work during the day? A friend of mine works at a think tank during the day, and takes the Metro out to classes at Baltimore after. He loves it, but then again he's nuts, since he's quite liberal and works for this particular think tank. He doesn't take the full loan amount since he works. I think I was as disappointed as you were when they didn't offer you anything, lol.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm

If you rooted against Indiana's basketball team, your scholarship offer may be null & void.

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby fakemoney » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
fakemoney wrote:I'm in a similar situation, just substiute UMN for IUB, and I've got 60K instead of 120K. There are pro's and con's to the different schools, obviously. In your case, 120K at IUB is basically a full-ride minus COA, which shouldn't be too much in Indiana. It does have appealing aspects, as it's a huge scholarship at a t25-t35 school. Still, I think to go, you really gotta sell yourself on Indiana and the Midwest. GW might not be a bad option if you think you can handle the debt and are ambitious. SJU -- hey, it's a full tuition scholarship, and this is your home. But I'm sure your versed in the challenges of entering the NYC market from anything less than a top school. The fact that you would have next-to-zero debt probably makes it a better option for you than others. It probably comes down to what your ambitions are, and where you want to work.

As for myself, I have a lower scholarship at UMN, but I think the decent-size of MSP market makes taking on some debt more palatable there than in Indiana. I won't go to UMN, however, unless I can see myself staying in the Minneapolis area. It seems like one of the easier cities to which NY'ers can transition. For me, speaking as a NY'er, going to Indianapolis or thereabouts would be a harder sell.


Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It is a good-sized city with some nice areas. Everyone on TLS seems to love MSP, but Indy has low COL and can be a really nice place to live if you choose the right areas.


..
Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you rooted against Indiana's basketball team, your scholarship offer may be null & void.


LOL, hopefully they wont know it was me until I have officially accepted their offer. Shhhh... dont tell anyone!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Does the SJU scholarship have class rank requirements?

I think the answer is IU-B here or depending on if you applied late, apply earlier next year, pay off your UG debt a little, and potentially retake the LSAT if that is a viable option for a better shot at money from GW or like WUSTL.

If your options above are the end all, I would do IU-B. I think your quality of life will be a lot better than living at home with little hope of getting a job.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:13 pm

2014 wrote:Does the SJU scholarship have class rank requirements?

I think the answer is IU-B here or depending on if you applied late, apply earlier next year, pay off your UG debt a little, and potentially retake the LSAT if that is a viable option for a better shot at money from GW or like WUSTL.

If your options above are the end all, I would do IU-B. I think your quality of life will be a lot better than living at home with little hope of getting a job.

Neither scholarship comes with any class rank requirements. IUB requires "satisfactory academic progress" and SJU requires "good academic standing".

Applying next year is not an option. In order to have my UG loans deferred, I would have to be in school. Waiting another year would mean having to pay back my loans until Fall 2012 and then get a deferment, which I simply cannot do. This cycle is it.

ashrh01
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby ashrh01 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Because of the generous offers from both schools, I just need to find something upon graduation to help me service any small bit of LS debt as well as my UG debt. Big law is not necessary. Location is pretty much the only thing that has me on the fence. I am leaning towards IUB for obvious reasons, but I am still unsure. My only other options so far are UMD (no scholly info yet) or GW at sticker. My numbers make it unlikely that I would receive any offers from my other schools similar to what SJU and IUB have offered.

So here's the skinny:

IU-B with $40K/year; I'd pay what's left of tuition plus COL:

I dont know a damn thing about the Midwest and have only been there once, which coincidentally was for a basketball game vs. IU. The idea of moving away is a bit exciting, and I think I may enjoy my time there, but I dont know know comfortable I am with living out in Indiana long-term. All of my family is in NY and I have lived in DC for the past 5 years and fell in love with it. I know IUB has a strong alumni base in DC and NY, but obviously they mostly place in IN. Big law is the preferred outcome, but with that scholarship I can also end up in mid-law and be fine. If I dont end up in NY or DC I will be fine with anything along the East Coast (NJ, MD, etc.)

SJU with full tuition; I'd pay virtually no COL:

Because my family lives in NYC, I have been offered a room with my mom and great aunt free of charge if I go to SJU. Her house is about 15 minutes from campus. I would also not have to worry about most of my meals, as that would be covered as well. SJU's offer covers the full cost of tuition for all thre years regardless of tuition hikes, as well as any summer courses I decide to take. Problem is, SJU is near the bottom of a crowded NYC market, even with it's large alumni base. It is definitely in the right location, but my chances of getting something decent coming out of there are definitely slim.


Bloomington is actually pretty decent, obviously much smaller than what you're used to but not a bad place to live for 3 years. And like someone else said, you could look for jobs in Indy or Chicago. FWIW my brother is a 1L at IUB, he was actually going to go somewhere else until he visited at the last minute and really liked the school. The good thing about living there is it's not too expensive and you can live really close to campus.

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Location, Location, Location: Midwest vs. East Coast

Postby seriously???? » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 pm

how much undergrad debt are you looking at?
again, this is an anectdote, but I only know one person who went to GW and it was for a full ride, and that person just graduated and is doing doc review. NY may be saturated, but you are a new yorker. That has to work somewhat in your favor. Bloomington will cost 50K more than SJU, but it still might be more manageable unless your UG debt is over 50k. It pretty much comes down to how badly you want biglaw, because like you said, with GW it is biglaw or...And if ure overall debt is around or over 200g's, you need to do biglaw for a long time, and it won't even seem like biglaw, because your salary will be taking at least a 20k hit every year to loans. Coming out of law school with no debt is a beautiful thing, in fact, if you work part time, or hardcore over the summers, you could come out not only debt free from law school, but also tack off a few grand in your UG debt.
What can I say, I am debt averse. My contemplation is between IUB and WUSTL with 20k a year, and I still think that is too much for a non T14.
Check out Bloomington, you may fall in love with it, but from the research that I have done, it is not work in Indy, Chi, or St. Louis. It is mainly work in Indy, with the outside shot to work anywhere else.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests