Minnesota vs. Emory vs. Colorado

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DrVictorFreeze

Minnesota vs. Emory vs. Colorado

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:52 am

What do you think:

Minnesota at 60000
Emory at 42000
Colorado instate

Interested in corporate law.

You Gotta Have Faith

Re: Minnesota vs. Emory vs. Colorado

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 am

Are these numbers what you are getting in scholarships? Or are they what you are paying? If the latter, is this a total of all three years or per year and including living expenses?

Please specify a little better. Thanks.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:58 am

They're schollys for all three years.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:04 am

Any geographic preference?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:06 am

Where do you want to practice? And how did you manage to get a 60k scholly and a 42k scholly at T25s but no money at your home state T40/T50?

I think if you're set on staying in Colorado then CU could be a fine option, especially since I think U of MN and Emory will still have strong regional biases unless you are near the top of the class.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:10 am

I love colorado, and will probably end up back there at some point. But right out of college, i dont really care. I'm mostly concerned with getting a good job, having no debt, and QOL in school.

Colorado hasnt sent out scholly info yet.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:14 am

Minnesota seems like the best choice here. It'll end up cheaper than Colorado (assuming you wouldn't live w/ parents) and would offer greater prospects & mobility. Plus I'm sure it places just fine in Colorado if that's where you decide to work after graduation.

Emory is a good school, especially if you're looking for corporate law, however (1) it's very expensive, (2) it primarily feeds into the southeast markets.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 am

The most "bang for your buck" if you will, is Minnesota. But Emory is still a competitive option. Do you prefer one over the other? And if these are the final two schools you are considering, have you visited either of them yet? Usually that is helpful.

Unless you get some $$ at CU, I would drop them from consideration. I mean, why pay 50% more for CO over MN or Emory? Even if you want to be in CO, I don't think that much more money is worth it (see below).

As far as getting back to CO for employment goes, I genuinely don't think that going to Emory or Minnesota will hurt you all that much, should you decide to move that way down the road. Employers will appreciate that you are from the area, even if you went to school elsewhere. That really does count for something.

But I should say (and this echoes the poster above me) that MN is a Midwest regional power, while Emory is a Southeast regional power. Even though the state of CO falls into neither, I think MN has the edge here. Just my thoughts on it.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:14 am

I am a little worried about the Minnesota social scene. Dont know anyone there and I am looking for somewhat of a college town feel. Boulder is extremely attractive from that point of view.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:34 am

DrVictorFreeze wrote:I am a little worried about the Minnesota social scene. Dont know anyone there and I am looking for somewhat of a college town feel. Boulder is extremely attractive from that point of view.

Out of curiosity, do you know people in Atlanta?

For whatever it's worth, if you are wanting more of a college-like vibe, MN is not that bad. Although in the Minneapolis area, it is a huge college campus and, by extension, has a lot of college-like bars and activities in the surrounding neighborhoods. The feel wouldn't be like Boulder, but it's something.

Emory is pleasant, and has the amenities of a larger city. Further, it is in a quaint part of Atlanta. But it certainly does not feel very college-town like. And it isn't that big, either. Once you leave the surrounding few blocks, you are no longer in Emory territory.

As for Colorado... I dunno man. If you want Colorado then go for it. Sounds like you know what you want already. I wouldn't personally pick CU (over Emory or MN) unless they gave me at least some scholly, but only you know what makes you happy. And if you know you really prefer CU, then by all means go for it.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you know people in Atlanta?

Nope, never been to atlanta. Only been to St Paul once. I hear atlanta is nice though.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 am

DrVictorFreeze wrote:I am a little worried about the Minnesota social scene. Dont know anyone there and I am looking for somewhat of a college town feel. Boulder is extremely attractive from that point of view.

Yeah, I personally really like Boulder (lived there for few years). Very high standard of living, though you do pay for what you get. Definitely not a place that everyone cares for, but it sounds like you are already familiar with the city (or maybe even are from there).

I've also lived in Minneapolis. I would say that that quality of life there is also quite high, but it took me a while get used to living there. The architecture of Minneapolis is awesome, but certain other aspects of the way the city was laid out (the roads) I wasn't crazy about. If you don't mind really cold weather for half the year then Minneapolis can really be a great place to live. Even if you do (which I REALLY do), the summers are so nice it almost makes it worth staying even for someone who hates cold weather imo. It is true though that Minneapolis definitely does not have the college town feel of Boulder (even though there are tons of colleges in the Twin Cities).

Kind of curious though with your results so far what your T14 options look like. Especially since you don't sound tied down to any one place right now it seems to me like that may be the way to go. T14 will give you a better shot at moving around after school I think. With that kind of money at MN and Emory I have a hard time imagining you won't get (or haven't already gotten) some T14 admits.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 am

Location, facilities & lifestyle make Colorado a great option, in my opinion. Otherwise it just depends upon where you prefer to live. Boulder has been rated the top college town in the US repeatedly. In conjunction with its upscale, outdoor lifestyle & short drive to Denver, Boulder is an attractive location for professionals as well. Atlanta traffic is bad, but that shouldn't affect the area around Emory. Minnesota is cold--during Winter many go to Chicago to warm up.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:53 am

I don't know a thing about CU or Minnesota, their placement records, or anything of that nature. I also don't know what, exactly, your final bill would be for these schools. But here's what I do know.

Today's forecast high temps, according to weather.gov-

Boulder- 45 deg.
Minneapolis- 29 deg. (with a 100 pct chance of "heavy snow")
Atlanta- 68 deg.

It is worth an extra few thousand dollars to me to be happy. But everyone's decision is different. You're not necessarily trapped in the south if you go to Emory, but if you don't make good grades, you are much better served to work the Emory alumni network, which is very southern.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 am

I would knock out Emory immediately - it feeds into the SE, and Emory and Minnesota are peers.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:53 am

Lawquacious wrote:With that kind of money at MN and Emory I have a hard time imagining you won't get (or haven't already gotten) some T14 admits.

167/3.25? Nope.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 am

rad law wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:With that kind of money at MN and Emory I have a hard time imagining you won't get (or haven't already gotten) some T14 admits.

167/3.25? Nope.

Those stats may snag WashU but that's it for the T20 (except for maybe a WL - in at GW).

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Yeah my GPA is garbage. Hoping Vandy/USC/BU will bite though. I will send in the seat deposit the next day if they do.

I was leaning towards Emory before I started this thread, simply because I think they have the best corporate law program. I am very worried about their job placement however. Only like 92% have jobs within 9 months. Thats pretty bad compared to other similar schools such as UMN/UIUC. I will have to visit Emory before I make any decision. If it is really as urban as people are indicating I will have to seriously reconsider.

As to the weather: 68 is nice, but I am sorry nothing compares to colorado weather. I would venture to say that colorado is without a doubt the best state in the country for QOL. Just a little hometown bias.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:24 pm

drvictor- don't take any school's job placement statistics @ face value.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:Yeah my GPA is garbage. Hoping Vandy/USC/BU will bite though. I will send in the seat deposit the next day if they do.

I was leaning towards Emory before I started this thread, simply because I think they have the best corporate law program. I am very worried about their job placement however. Only like 92% have jobs within 9 months. Thats pretty bad compared to other similar schools such as UMN/UIUC. I will have to visit Emory before I make any decision. If it is really as urban as people are indicating I will have to seriously reconsider.

As to the weather: 68 is nice, but I am sorry nothing compares to colorado weather. I would venture to say that colorado is without a doubt the best state in the country for QOL. Just a little hometown bias.

Emory is about 15 minutes away from downtown Atlanta. It's not very urban at all, and I haven't applied, but I know it has a very strong business program, so I wouldn't be surprised if the corporate law program benefited from that. Also, Atlanta is home to many Fortune 500 companies. Like a poster above said, you will probably end up practicing in the Southeast after graduation.
The weather, however, is beautiful in ATL.

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Emory.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Emory is not really in an urban area. Decatur is kind of an eclectic, hip semi-urban & semi-suburban area with a Colorado state-of-mind. Westerners may experience allergies due to Atlanta's high year-round pollen count & may find the summer humidity uncomfortable.
All three of your options offer great communities, but Boulder-Denver probably is the best of the three locations for year-round outdoor living.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Emory's placement has been awful lately. I would definitely take the bigger scholarship at Minnesota or go where you know you'll be happy (Colorado).

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Do you want to live in the SE, the upper Midwest, or Colorado, and to which region will you have the most convincing ties at OCI?
Those are the only questions to ask. While MN/Emory aren't peer schools with Colorado (though it's close) their "prestige" is not nearly significant enough to travel to CO.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Urban was the wrong word. I mean more lacking in a college campus setting. I realize that at most schools, we will inevitably make friends through the law school. But it would be nice to have the opportunity to meet people of a similar age from other parts of the school.

Im a little curious to see how the social dynamics of law school will play out. I feel like a lot of people are in very different places of their lives. I mean a single twenty two year right out of college is a very different person than a married late twenty somethings person getting ready to start a family. I guess I am looking for a school that is catered more to the former.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”