BU vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:20 pm

In most people's minds I think they are more or less peer schools. So if I don't hear about merit aid soon from BU, I was thinking of faxing them my GW award. Do you think BU would be willing to match/come close to GW's offer (about 30k). I like both places but I'd prefer BU.

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby HugerThanSoup » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I would send in GW's offer ASAP.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm pretty sure BU would at least consider GW's offer, seeing as the two schools are very much peer schools (though I'd be inclined to pick BU if they offered me anything close to GW).

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:28 pm

BU matched my GW offer

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby 2011Law » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Cupidity wrote:Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.


This is pretty much why BU is my top choice right now (unless I pull a miracle and get into the t18).

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Technically, BC is the number two for Boston. BU is not far behind though, right on its heals in terms of hiring. GW is well behind GULC in DC. So second best school in DC or third best school in Boston? Your call. Really, BC,BU and GW all place pretty similarly, so you should visit all three schools to get a feel. All are great options.

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby kams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Informative wrote:Technically, BC is the number two for Boston. BU is not far behind though, right on its heals in terms of hiring. GW is well behind GULC in DC. So second best school in DC or third best school in Boston? Your call. Really, BC,BU and GW all place pretty similarly, so you should visit all three schools to get a feel. All are great options.


Lol.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Why do people think BC>BU, I just haven't seen this in years.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Same guy posted on my thread saying Boston is a saturated market with tough competition from Harvard kids. Idk how many people have to tell him he's wrong until he takes a hint.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby 83947368 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:01 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:03 pm

rman1201 wrote:Same guy posted on my thread saying Boston is a saturated market with tough competition from Harvard kids. Idk how many people have to tell him he's wrong until he takes a hint.


Firm hiring is up across the board, Ropes, Bingham, K&L, Choate, all increased their SA program by roughly 20%. Jones Day just opened a Boston office which should help 2-3 years down the road once they start expanding from their initial group. Boston is also a Biotech hub.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:Why do people think BC>BU, I just haven't seen this in years.



I think GW is behind UVa and GULC for DC (Along with the rest of the T-14, but I am just talking primary feeder markets)

I think BC may feed into Boston better than BU, but nationally (and by national I mean NY), BU seems to fare better.

Either way, with these two schools it's really personal/locational preference. I'd rather spend 3 years at GW, and if you want NY, both of these schools or more or less the same.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Cupidity wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Same guy posted on my thread saying Boston is a saturated market with tough competition from Harvard kids. Idk how many people have to tell him he's wrong until he takes a hint.


Firm hiring is up across the board, Ropes, Bingham, K&L, Choate, all increased their SA program by roughly 20%. Jones Day just opened a Boston office which should help 2-3 years down the road once they start expanding from their initial group. Boston is also a Biotech hub.


Plus 10-15% of Harvard grads typically stay in the entire New England region, so the Harvrd competition amounts to 20-40 grads, tops. Im sure there are some clerks/academics in the mix.
So the only real competition is BC, and if current trends continue there should be plenty of Boston jobs to go around.
DC is just ugly right now as far as jobs go.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 pm

They are pretty close, but BC places better in Boston. Don't think the difference is enough to base a decision on. This is why people always say to just visit the two schools and see which you like more.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Informative wrote:They are pretty close, but BC places better in Boston. Don't think the difference is enough to base a decision on. This is why people always say to just visit the two schools and see which you like more.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html


Thats old, currently they're both 34.6%

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm

And when you throw in clerkships, BC is ranked higher again. Like I said multiple times though, this difference is hardly worth really focusing on. They both place well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 pm

rman1201 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Same guy posted on my thread saying Boston is a saturated market with tough competition from Harvard kids. Idk how many people have to tell him he's wrong until he takes a hint.


Firm hiring is up across the board, Ropes, Bingham, K&L, Choate, all increased their SA program by roughly 20%. Jones Day just opened a Boston office which should help 2-3 years down the road once they start expanding from their initial group. Boston is also a Biotech hub.


Plus 10-15% of Harvard grads typically stay in the entire New England region, so the Harvrd competition amounts to 20-40 grads, tops. Im sure there are some clerks/academics in the mix.
So the only real competition is BC, and if current trends continue there should be plenty of Boston jobs to go around.
DC is just ugly right now as far as jobs go.


You must be a 0L. DC hiring has actually been up, higher than other markets. This is due to increase in regulatory requirements since 2008. Almost all firms are at 2006 levels in DC for SA classes. Not to mention the increase in gov't jobs.

Boston is doing extremely well as well They have rebounded nicely and are also going to be hiring large classes in the next few years. California and New York were the two markets hit the hardest, but even they are rebounding.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Informative wrote:And when you throw in clerkships, BC is ranked higher again. Like I said multiple times though, this difference is hardly worth really focusing on. They both place well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528


Also old, and when youre looking at such a small sample (9 BC clerks vs. 3 BU clerks) itd be quite a stretch to call the extra clerkships due to some inherent difference between the schools

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm

lol, that is exactly what I said.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:06 pm

BC> BU for Boston. Nice try Cupidity.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby tram988 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:07 pm

BC for Boston!

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Cupidity wrote:BU matched my GW offer


I was just going to scan my GW offer and email it to the Admissions office, explaining my preference. Is that what you did?

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Not settled on a market. I'm holding out for a couple of T14s and maybe USC or Vanderbilt. Might reapply without significant $$$$

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

To the above poster regarding the clerk difference: looking at the raw numbers is a bit misleading. BU has a larger class than BC (at least when those numbers were released) and we need to make sure to keep it proportionate and only compare percentages. 3 v. 9 isn't a wide margin, but its also not insignificant, especially when viewed proportionately.

When you combine BC's strong reputation in Boston with its numbers it's the obvious choice for a person looking to remain in Boston.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests