overwhelmed--admitted student days and visits to T14 schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chrissyc

overwhelmed--admitted student days and visits to T14 schools

Postby chrissyc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

I don't know where to begin. I have to plan a trip to NYC, Boston, and Durham. I don't know where I'll stay, how i'll get transportation and it's just so overwhelming.

I guess since I'm doing it all alone and don't have anyone there by my side to give me input or to alleviate some of the anxiety it's just a bit tough.

Where do I stay? Who do I contact? I mean every school is different I'm just overwhelmed I guess.

edited to add: it's kind of an emotional fear of making the decision completely based on my own feeling about the schools even though the decision will be affecting more than just me.

Also, being in a big city, at 4'11 and with no idea where I am or how to get from place to place. I've never even been on a subway for crying out loud. It's probably a lot easier than it seems in my head but I am just nervous.
Last edited by chrissyc on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Re: overwhelmed--admitted student days and visits to T14 schools

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Rent a car or take a cab and stay at hotels

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Book flight*, book hotel rooms*, get around while in town via cab*/rental*/bus*/subway*/whatever, if traveling between multiple cities on a single trip then use train* or bus*. Contact admissions office* at schools ahead of time to schedule tours and see if you can sit in on classes etc.; spend rest of time in that city exploring the campus, looking at neighborhoods you might be living in, checking out nightlife/social scene, etc.

Not really sure what you're asking about specifically. All the things marked with asterisks are things you can do online, so if you're worried about getting around then check out schedules and routes ahead of time and all that.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:21 pm

If you are on the east coast, take Amtrak. It eliminates the stress of driving, getting lost, yelling at your gps/ and or printed out google maps directions. Also, you can sleep, do work, relax while on a train unlike in a car. If you are not on the east coast, book a flight to each city. If you are having that much trouble, go the admitted students website and they should walk you through exactly what you need to do.

To be honest though, if I were you, I would skip trips to Durham and NYC, and just take my seat in Boston once August rolls around. HTH.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 pm

You could call the schools and politely ask for recommendations to stay in each city.....they could provide you with insight on what hotels are closest and safest near the schools.

However, I have found that the fun (have sarcasm, half not) in these types of situations is to figure it out yourself. Sometimes you win and find a great hotel and have a good trip, and sometimes you end up in some sketchy situations, heh.

Also, there's Google. You can find a wealth of reviews on hotels and what area of a city you might want to stay in. I did this for a cross-country driving trip I planned and it turned out relatively well.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 pm

chrissyc wrote:I don't know where to begin. I have to plan a trip to NYC, Boston, and Durham. I don't know where I'll stay, how i'll get transportation and it's just so overwhelming.

I guess since I'm doing it all alone and don't have anyone there by my side to give me input...alleviate some of the anxiety it's just a bit tough.

Where do I stay? Who do I contact? I mean every school is different I'm just overwhelmed I guess.

Nice 'tar. Good luck with your cycle.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:34 pm

thanks everyone. I guess I'm just kind of freaking because as the admissions roll in there is an increased to-do list with financial aid, planning trips, and just figuring out where I'm going to go.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Look into couchsurfing. Did it numerous times a decade ago before there was an established website (http://www.couchsurfing.com) - or mention that you're couch surfing to the Admissions Office and perhaps they will take pity upon you and direct you to a current student willing to unfold a cot for you.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:05 pm

It's just like planning a vacation. Surely you've bought plane tickets, made hotel reservations and rented a car before? Pay extra to get GPS in your rental car, if you don't have one of your own you can take with you. (And unless you are using taxis/subways/buses/trains/etc instead of renting a car.)

There are websites for everything. Most schools even have a 'visiting campus' page with transportation and lodging suggestions.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:06 pm

get out much?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm surprised people are giving honest answers here. Really, you've never booked a hotel or flight on your own before? You can get into t14 schools but you can't figure out how to travel?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm surprised people are giving honest answers here. Really, you've never booked a hotel or flight on your own before? You can get into t14 schools harvard but you can't figure out how to travel?

i am amazed by the lack of trolling itt

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 pm

OP just needs some help from this guy...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 pm

fatduck wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I'm surprised people are giving honest answers here. Really, you've never booked a hotel or flight on your own before? You can get into t14 schools harvard but you can't figure out how to travel?

Both of you are right......lol. Now that I know this person got into Harvard I am sure they know how to figure it out from here. Perhaps the OP was digging for encouragement or concern rather than being truly inept at planning a trip.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 pm

THE PRICELINE NEGOTIATOR.........dun dun dun........ :mrgreen: .

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 pm

DeeCee wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Both of you are right......lol. Now that I know this person got into Harvard I am sure they know how to figure it out from here. Perhaps the OP was digging for encouragement or concern rather than being truly inept at planning a trip.

or maybe OP got a 4.0 because she never left campus

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 pm

chrissyc wrote:thanks everyone. I guess I'm just kind of freaking because as the admissions roll in there is an increased to-do list with financial aid, planning trips, and just figuring out where I'm going to go.

aw so stressful :(

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 am

How many schools are you planning to visit?

As much as I would like to visit many of the schools I was accepted into, it's just not feasible. I've narrowed my schools down to 2 that I'm certain are a good fit (region, class sizes, school culture, clinics, weather, etc.)--the visits will allow me to decide between the two. It's not easy to narrow schools this early in the process, but it would be a good idea to seriously assess each school for the things you want before you visit. But....if you just threw 20 darts at the board to see where you'd land without any thought as to what you really wanted in a school, then narrowing your choices is going to be difficult.

Once you're ready to plan, it might help to calendar the dates so you can see when you need to be where. Then start with the earliest ASW, nailing down your transportation and lodging.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 am

i'm asking because i don't have the MONEY to simply plan a trip without being aware of the expense. I can't just stay in a hotel in every city and rent cars.

Going alone DOES frighten me...I'm 4'11...and quite small in general so being in NYC on a subway or in Chicago alone when I don't know where I'm going is frightening.

Also, the sheer number of places to look at is just OVERWHELMING...it's not that I don't know HOW to book a trip...I just feel like I don't know where to begin. Sorry for being INEPT...although it was much more an emotional response as opposed to being truly incapable of planning.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:35 am

pixytree wrote:How many schools are you planning to visit?

As much as I would like to visit many of the schools I was accepted into, it's just not feasible. I've narrowed my schools down to 2 that I'm certain are a good fit (region, class sizes, school culture, clinics, weather, etc.)--the visits will allow me to decide between the two. It's not easy to narrow schools this early in the process, but it would be a good idea to seriously assess each school for the things you want before you visit. But....if you just threw 20 darts at the board to see where you'd land without any thought as to what you really wanted in a school, then narrowing your choices is going to be difficult.

Once you're ready to plan, it might help to calendar the dates so you can see when you need to be where. Then start with the earliest ASW, nailing down your transportation and lodging.

Thanks...this is what i was looking for. Which are you going to? I am thinking NYU, Northwestern, and Harvard...I want to drive to Duke with my fiance. If I get into Yale then there too.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:27 am

Remember when you got into Harvard? Go visit Boston...in August...when you move in. Take your ASW budget and go to the Bahamas. Take a copy of Harvard Law Magazine and enjoy. Translation: congratulations on Harvard

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am

It's funny to read this thread from a hotel room on an epic 2000 mile school visiting roadtrip. Welp, gotta go, my car won't drive itself.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 am

chrissyc wrote:i'm asking because i don't have the MONEY to simply plan a trip without being aware of the expense. I can't just stay in a hotel in every city and rent cars.

Going alone DOES frighten me...I'm 4'11...and quite small in general so being in NYC on a subway or in Chicago alone when I don't know where I'm going is frightening.

Also, the sheer number of places to look at is just OVERWHELMING...it's not that I don't know HOW to book a trip...I just feel like I don't know where to begin. Sorry for being INEPT...although it was much more an emotional response as opposed to being truly incapable of planning.

Money is always an issue when traveling, small things add up fast. Now I will admit that I am approaching the different end of the size range (6'1 250+lbs) and still have the bad hair cut from my days as a Marine (although I get it cut less often then I used to). I spend a lot of time traveling back and forth the Harvard (completing a Masters (ALM) in IT through the Harvard Extension School, which currently means I fly up for class on Monday nights for this term. While there have been a few reports of robberies on campus (especially early this school year, problems seem to be the exception not the rule).

On the bright side Harvard is easy to get to by public transport. If you arrive in Boston by either Amtrak (go to South Station, which is adjacent to the 'Red Line' for the 'T', which goes directly to Harvard Yard. If you arrive by air, walk out off the baggage claim area and look for the 'T' sign, this will be a stop for the 'Silver Line' bus that will take you to South Station, which would be the same trip up the 'Red Line' that you would have taken had you arrived by train. When you get off at the Harvard stop, depending on which exit you leave the station from you will be between a block and a half to a mere few feet away from Harvard Yard. It hardly gets any easier then that. As for lodging, I have found that hotels further away from campus are generally more affordable then those that are near. With this in mind I will often stay at properties further south (e.g. in Boston) within walking distance to the 'T' (preferably the red line to prevent me from having to wait to switch lines when traveling to or from campus. Although being a cheapskate I will only splurge for the hotel room if I am going to be there long enough to get a decent nights rest. Often I will be facing 4-5 hours waiting for the early morning flight out of Logan and will simply take a nap in the baggage pickup area (which has considerably less commotion in the middle of the night when no flights are arriving).

Should Yale pop up your list, getting from Harvard to Yale, one could do much worse then Amtrak, if memory serves the station is about a mile from campus. NYU is another campus that is very close to the train station, and would be much less of a hassle to arrive by train then it would be to fly or drive. As for Durham, I have not been there in over a decade so everything is rather fuzzy in my head, when I went through I drove from Virginia, but I seem to recall an airport not exceedingly far away.

For Harvard, NYU, and Yale I think that getting a car or even needing a cab is not necessary. Wear comfortable shoes, pack very light and you should be more then capable of handling the local traveling by foot. This will not only save you a bit of money, but it will allow you to get a better feel for the schools (and the area around them) that you are considering.

Good luck, and happy travels.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 am

Bumi wrote:It's funny to read this thread from a hotel room on an epic 2000 mile school visiting roadtrip. Welp, gotta go, my car won't drive itself.

Perhaps if you talk to the geeks at Stanford they can help you out with that. :)

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 am

haus wrote:
chrissyc wrote:i'm asking because i don't have the MONEY to simply plan a trip without being aware of the expense. I can't just stay in a hotel in every city and rent cars.

Money is always an issue when traveling, small things add up fast. Now I will admit that I am approaching the different end of the size range (6'1 250+lbs) and still have the bad hair cut from my days as a Marine (although I get it cut less often then I used to). I spend a lot of time traveling back and forth the Harvard (completing a Masters (ALM) in IT through the Harvard Extension School, which currently means I fly up for class on Monday nights for this term. While there have been a few reports of robberies on campus (especially early this school year, problems seem to be the exception not the rule).

On the bright side Harvard is easy to get to by public transport. If you arrive in Boston by either Amtrak (go to South Station, which is adjacent to the 'Red Line' for the 'T', which goes directly to Harvard Yard. If you arrive by air, walk out off the baggage claim area and look for the 'T' sign, this will be a stop for the 'Silver Line' bus that will take you to South Station, which would be the same trip up the 'Red Line' that you would have taken had you arrived by train. When you get off at the Harvard stop, depending on which exit you leave the station from you will be between a block and a half to a mere few feet away from Harvard Yard. It hardly gets any easier then that. As for lodging, I have found that hotels further away from campus are generally more affordable then those that are near. With this in mind I will often stay at properties further south (e.g. in Boston) within walking distance to the 'T' (preferably the red line to prevent me from having to wait to switch lines when traveling to or from campus. Although being a cheapskate I will only splurge for the hotel room if I am going to be there long enough to get a decent nights rest. Often I will be facing 4-5 hours waiting for the early morning flight out of Logan and will simply take a nap in the baggage pickup area (which has considerably less commotion in the middle of the night when no flights are arriving).

Should Yale pop up your list, getting from Harvard to Yale, one could do much worse then Amtrak, if memory serves the station is about a mile from campus. NYU is another campus that is very close to the train station, and would be much less of a hassle to arrive by train then it would be to fly or drive. As for Durham, I have not been there in over a decade so everything is rather fuzzy in my head, when I went through I drove from Virginia, but I seem to recall an airport not exceedingly far away.

For Harvard, NYU, and Yale I think that getting a car or even needing a cab is not necessary. Wear comfortable shoes, pack very light and you should be more then capable of handling the local traveling by foot. This will not only save you a bit of money, but it will allow you to get a better feel for the schools (and the area around them) that you are considering.

Good luck, and happy travels.

thanks...great suggestion actually. I could just do visits by train and go from home to schools...that would be fun. A bit scary but fun.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”