BYU or Utah - Better overall program reputation.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BYU
85%
UTAH
15%

Total votes: 33

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I'd love thoughts on this. Before voting- please just remove all conceptions of the schools ex: BYU is weird because you can't have coffee, etc. and just post or vote on which you think has a better program from your perceptive. Pretty much just an "on paper" judgment of whether a JD from BYU or Utah sounds better. I know the ranking info, bar passage, etc. but I'm curious to find out what the perceptions out there are for people that are more in the law school loop than just people I run into.

Thanks!

fogcue2

Re: BYU or Utah - Better overall program reputation.

Postby fogcue2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 pm

completely depends on who your talking to and what their religious background is. I would say Utah in less LDS parts of Utah (downtown Salt Lake, Park City, St.George), BYU in more LDS parts (Provo, Salt Lake suburbs.

Beyond that I would say both do ok for the rest of the Mountain states, BYU is a little bit more nationally known but very polorizing (whether you are LDS or not going to BYU will associate you with being mormon in most peoples eyes unless you pull a Jim McMahon)

I would say that they are peers unless you are LDS and can tap into that network (then go to BYU) otherwise pick the school that fits your personality better.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Wow. fogcue has it right but I never thought of it before. "Polarizing" is exactly the right word. That's a disturbing thought on a Friday afternoon.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

It's a little old, I think pre-2008, but we can at least get some ideas from it: NLJ Employment Outcomes

Scroll to the last page to find the two schools in Utah. Things to note:

1. BYU has 45% employed in Utah; the U was 73% (I interpret that to mean BYU has better national recognition and mobility).
2. BYU has at least 3x the amount of graduates employed in NLJ250 firms. (Both are about the same at "other" law firms.)
3. BYU has more graduates in clerkships.
4. BYU has more in public interest.
5. The U places more students into "Business."
6. BYU has less unemployment.

Also something interesting to read if you haven't yet: Recent New Yorker article mentions BYU Law

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks zonto! I hadn't read that story. I agree with a lot of the numbers being in favor of BYU and from what I gather talking to people- it seems that both the LDS and non-LDS people I talk to in Utah think that BYU is significantly more impressive than the U- but nobody can ever point to a reason. This makes all the input on here really helpful! Thanks!!

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 pm

BYU should change their name to Jimmer School of Law. Then, they would have the best reputation nationwide and the sickest jump shot.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

fogcue2 wrote:

Beyond that I would say both do ok for the rest of the Mountain states, BYU is a little bit more nationally known but very polorizing (whether you are LDS or not going to BYU will associate you with being mormon in most peoples eyes unless you pull a Jim McMahon)

lol @ "pulling a Jim McMahon" :D :D :D

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Most law schools are of similar quality. BYU probably has a better overall academic reputation.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

BYU has a stronger reputation nationally.

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate any help on outside views. Thanks again.

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

bsm909 wrote:Thanks for commenting! I appreciate any help on outside views. Thanks again.

While I know some U of U grads in both AZ and Calif BYU places much better in those 2 states than Utah does.

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm

bellamy wrote:
bsm909 wrote:Thanks for commenting! I appreciate any help on outside views. Thanks again.

While I know some U of U grads in both AZ and Calif BYU places much better in those 2 states than Utah does.

Good to know! Right now I think I'd like to stay, but am not set on anything to the point that I wouldn't want to have the options that seem to be associated with BYU!

UtahPhi

Postby UtahPhi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 pm

BYU definitely does, but not by a huge margin. BYU's OCI used to include quite a few more out-of-state large firms, ITE I think that a lot of those firms stopped coming to BYU though. For in-state they are both viewed similarly, with a slight edge to Utah in terms of purely location in Salt Lake.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

BYU is probably much better from a placement standpoint, but I really couldn't imagine a non LDS type (or at least a staunch religious conservative) enjoying themselves there. Plus, it's much more expensive for non church members.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 am

You can't have coffee at BYU? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 am

Ya its more for non LDS students but ur ends up being about what Utah is for in state so not as odd.

Ya no coffee. I did find the pro there being the ability to go get my teeth whitened should I end there. Plus the forced cost savings probably will be a great benefit. Maybe put it in a student loan repayment fund :)

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 am

nealric wrote:BYU is probably much better from a placement standpoint, but I really couldn't imagine a non LDS type (or at least a staunch religious conservative) enjoying themselves there. Plus, it's much more expensive for non church members.

Even Notre Dame can grate on me sometimes; I can't imagine being at BYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”