Seriously considering Alabama over T-14... am I crazy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Big $ at Bama or Top Schools?

Take the money at Bama and live like a king
27%
Meet it halfway; pay half price for Vandy / UT
45%
Moar liek TTTusclaoosa... go T-14
28%

Total votes: 161

duckmoney

Seriously considering Alabama over T-14... am I crazy?

Postby duckmoney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm in at several T-14s at sticker (UVA is probably top choice among them) and probably looking at about half schollies at UT and Vandy.

I've also been offered the Dean's Scholarship at Alabama, which is guaranteed full tuition + $2k / yr stipend + personal mentorship by the dean of the law school, who is awesome.

For what I want to do - firm work in secondary market in the southeast (something with <1900 expected billable hours) - Bama seems like a fine option. I have strong ties to Florida and also wouldn't mind working in Alabama. I would like to start at at least $90k in the private sector. Also would consider government or JAG corps (obviously for lower salary).

Bama also does fairly well with federal clerkships (about 7% of graduates, compared to 12% at most T-14s), which is something I'd definitely look in to.

I know I have a better shot at these goals from the higher ranked schools, but the money is very tempting.

And I know TLS frowns upon this, but I feel like I have a much better shot at high grades at Bama than the higher ranked schools since I am much more qualified than the median student, which is not true at the more prestigious schools.

Thoughts?

Aberzombie1892

Re: Seriously considering Alabama over T-14... am I crazy?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

duckmoney wrote:I would like to start at at least $90k in the private sector.

Thoughts?

Alabama is automatically out.

Vanderbilt and UT would be fine. Vanderbilt more so, but it's not worth more than maybe $5,000-$10,00 a year than UT.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

You won't predictably have better grades at Bama. But you will have very little risk, with a still good shot at a good career, and good insurance in case you don't do well.

TLS 0Ls frown on taking lower ranked schools' money because they largely only look at placement right out of school at NLJ firms, which you apparently do not want.

You probably won't live like a King out of Bama, but you also will have less of a shot of living like a beggar.
Last edited by Hannibal on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:I would like to start at at least $90k in the private sector.

Thoughts?

Alabama is automatically out.

Vanderbilt and UT would be fine. Vanderbilt more so, but it's not worth more than maybe $5,000-$10,00 a year than UT.

Why is Alabama automatically out?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Hannibal wrote:You won't predictably have better grades at Bama. But you will have very little risk, with a still good shot at a good career, and good insurance in case you don't do well.

TLS 0Ls frown on taking lower ranked schools' money because they largely only look at placement right out of school at NLJ firms, which you apparently do not want.

You probably won't live like a King out of Bama, but you also will have less of a shot of living like a beggar.

Thanks for the advice. I have a good bit of savings and my parents have enough money to cover cost-of-living no problem, although not really enough to cover cost-of-living and $20k (or $45k) a year in tuition.

So at Bama I would pretty much be able to live like a king. At Vandy I could be comfortable. T-14 would be pushing it.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm

TommyK wrote:Why is Alabama automatically out?

Because he said he wanted to make 90K straight out of law school. FYI OP Bama firms LOVE UVA. About half of the firms that recruit here at 1L OGI come from Alabama. If you have ties to Alabama I would heavily urge you to go to Vandy or UVA.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:17 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

Because he said he wanted to make 90K straight out of law school. FYI OP Bama firms LOVE UVA. About half of the firms that recruit here at 1L OGI come from Alabama. If you have ties to Alabama I would heavily urge you to go to Vandy or UVA.

Very weak ties to bama... Dad grew up there and has some extended family there but hasn't lived there since college. Strong ties to Florida though and I'd rather work in jax or Tampa than Birmingham anyway. The reason uf is out is that they're stingy as hell with scholarship and there's no way uf is worth 30k more than Alabama.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 pm

duckmoney wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Very weak ties to bama... Dad grew up there and has some extended family there but hasn't lived there since college. Strong ties to Florida though and I'd rather work in jax or Tampa than Birmingham anyway. The reason uf is out is that they're stingy as hell with scholarship and there's no way uf is worth 30k more than Alabama.

Sounds like you should go to Bama for free then.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:40 pm

My friend did exactly this at Bama and he loved it and he strongly feels like he made the right decision. After school he worked in DC for a senator of Alabama who has connections to the school, now he is currently clerking with a federal judge in PA and has a CoA clerkship lined up for next year. So i think that it is safe to say that his career has not been held back by the fact that he went to Alabama. I am sure that he did extremely well however. I know he was on Law Review as a 3L but he was not on the editorial board. This of course is not to say that that is the best option, but I know he loved the school and his experience and would advise you that a Bama full ride is an extremely good option.

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:43 pm

But really, you're just impressed by Alabama's admissions packet (T-shirt, law review, supposedly signed copy of a book on legal practice, extensive guide to the school and city), right?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm

yes, crazy. totally crazy.

nobody has convinced me that Bama places any better than any other SEC law school - Tenn, KY, LSU, etc. I cannot even find any employment stats on their website. Only attend Bama if you want to be practicing Mobile dog bite law 5 years from now.

if your choices were Vandy or WUSTL at sticker vs. Bama for free, my opinion would be different. but T14 is another thing altogether.
Last edited by General Tso on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Congrats on the great options. I really think that Vandy is the best option here given your career interests. While Bama is a fine school, it really does not compare to Vandy [or the other schools that you mentioned for that matter]. A full scholly is certainly legit, but a half scholly and superior employment prospects at Vandy make that school the winner in my opinion. UVA is obviously a fantastic option but it sounds like you are debt averse [understandably so], in which case Vandy trumps the list. Best of luck with your decision, you have fantastic options.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Alabama. If you do well, you should be able to get a federal clerkship or almost certainly placement with a major Birmingham law firm. Otherwise Virginia or, if you want to work in Texas, UT.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:48 pm

camelcrema wrote:But really, you're just impressed by Alabama's admissions packet (T-shirt, law review, supposedly signed copy of a book on legal practice, extensive guide to the school and city), right?

Application packet was pretty appealing, must say. Although no better than Vandy's 4.2 pound box of awesome (with the exception of the T-Shirt).

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:22 pm

This has to be flame. Alabama? I didn't even know there were any law schools in Alabama. Actually, I didn't even know there were universities in Alabama. So inform me, are there any T100 firms in Alabama?

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Informative wrote:This post right here is a flame. Why? Because I am a huge dick. People don't like me very much in real life, so I get online to bash fine institutions like WUSTL and the University of Alabama. It makes me feel good about myself.

+1

I totally agree with you. Well said.

alexb

Postby alexb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't think that's crazy. I think Alabama is a fine law school, especially if you want to work in Alabama and don't really want BigLaw. It's worth noting that you might need to go BigLaw if you pay sticker at a T14.

Edit: Also, for the reasons elaborated upon throughout this forum, don't simply expect to do better than a student with numbers at Alabama's medians because your numbers are higher.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:39 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_ ... abama_race

fun article about racial tensions at Bama :|

I attended another SEC school...it's not pleasant to see all-white social clubs at a public institution.

alexb

Postby alexb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

General Tso wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_re_us/us_university_of_alabama_race

fun article about racial tensions at Bama :|

I attended another SEC school...it's not pleasant to see all-white social clubs at a public institution.

F racists

WVUguy11

Postby WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm

alabama places strong in growing markets, and growing cities... wouldnt be an auto no by any means.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Split the difference; go to Vandy. FL will be open to you then if you want it, even though the legal market there is a toilet.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm

rad law wrote:Split the difference; go to Vandy. FL will be open to you then if you want it, even though the legal market there is a toilet.

Do 'bama. No debt upon graduation is unbeatable in my opinion ITE. Also, you like the area and wouldn't mind living there after graduation, which also makes Alabama the obvious choice.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

If you honest to god never want to leave Alabama, then id say why the fuck not and roll tide

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 pm

When I was applying they put GPA stipulations on those scholarships. If that's still the case, you need to think long and hard about that. Being below median/top third and paying sticker is not a fun position.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:21 pm

RMFT

Return to “Choosing a Law School”