Dallas/Houston vs. Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sherpaorlawschool

Re: Dallas/Houston vs. Texas

Postby sherpaorlawschool » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 am

jacketman03 wrote:
sherpaorlawschool wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:If you think Chet's a liberal... My liberal friends in the district were actually kind of glad he lost this last time bc of his non-liberalness.

I think that's consistent with what I said. I guess it sort of just depends on what we mean when we say liberal. For what the OP is looking for, a politician like Edwards may be somewhat in line with his/her views aside from his same-sex marriage views.

I will grant that he was considered a moderate democrat by many liberals but my point was simply that politicians/people with liberal to moderate views can survive in what would be considered more rural/conservative areas. Since those areas tend to be more conservative than the big cities, I wouldn't imagine that there would be a problem for the OP with residing in the cities or dealing with the politics of those cities.

Yeah, I guess we were kind of saying the same thing. As a friend of mine was telling me not too long ago, Texas isn't nearly as conservative as Massachusetts is liberal. We're fairly moderate-ish.

Yeah, I think you're right we are saying the same thing. Btw, I love your avatar. I actually got to see him pitch when I was a kid and I know a guy who was at the game when he knocked out Robin Ventura haha. He said it was the best game he'd ever been to.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am

sherpaorlawschool wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right we are saying the same thing. Btw, I love your avatar. I actually got to see him pitch when I was a kid and I know a guy who was at the game when he knocked out Robin Ventura haha. He said it was the best game he'd ever been to.

Ahh yes, him punking Robin Ventura was awesome.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 am

rdcws000 wrote:
Pricer wrote:Ha turns out this thread was pointless. Just got WLed at Texas, where I have the median GPA and 75% LSAT. My number one choice struck me down.

Well, hang in there, ya never know.

In my opinion, conservatism is the last thing you need to worry about in Dallas or Houston. You do need to consider Texasism though. This phenomenon persists in both cities, and though I sound like I'm joking, most non-native Texans know what I mean.

Texasism is an arrogance that comes from residing in a huge state with a valuable resource, an exciting history, and a cool looking flag. It is an attitude shared by both the left and the right that prompts some to put the state flag higher than the US flag, or even to get it tattoed on their bodies or painted on the back window of their truck. In some cases you can sense Texasism, and other times you will hear it in statements such as "That may be so, but IN THE STATE OF TEXAS, we do things differently". You will hear secession discussed, and you will be told a million times that Texas has the best _______, or you can only get _______ like this in Texas. It's a false uniqueness with a streak of "don't tread on me" liberty oddly mixed in with a <we don't take no crap> government and criminal justice system.

Don't get me wrong, I love Houston and there is a good chance I will live here for the rest of my life, but Texasism annoys me. It's just a state. Not only that, but it's actually pretty ugly and flat. All the rivers are brown. It is known for tons of cheap land, yet Houston and Dallas suburbs sprawl endlessly with .10 acre cookie cutter lots and homes, in the areas where there is some random semblance of zoning.

If you want to see some Texasim first hand, you probably will, right now, because above I said "It's just a state" and this is sure to have pissed some Texans off.

Also, P.S. don't be the prototypical small bible belt town guy who breaks out and becomes a raging liberal. There is alot of room in between.

This is credited.

I saw it on like my 6th day ever living in Texas. We were served "barbecue" at our orientation. It was really slices of meat with a bland sauce on top. I was informed that brisket was, in fact, the best kind of BBQ.

Now I come from South Carolina, a state that's divided between mustard, vinegar, and ketchup based BBQ (pulled pork) depending upon where you go. I live not far from Lexington, NC, where they host one of the largest BBQ festivals in the world. I've had the BBQ nachos in Memphis at their ballpark. I've seen a lot of BBQ. This was cut meat with bland sauce. It was fine in its own way, but it in no way deserved a special distinction. Yet it got one.

Texasism. It looks extremely ugly when you go to a school where many in the population are still silently lamenting the day they opened their UT rejection letter.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 am

I never get why people going to very large metro areas are worried about this kind of thing. When you live in a big area there are just too many people for there to be only one accepted political/religious viewpoint etc. I don't care if it's in Texas or in the South (as the OP has discovered from their time in Atlanta--hell even Athens). I personally don't mesh well with people who are die hard Atheists and feel that anyone who believes in Christianity a God etc. is thereby some sort of archaic ignorant hick--so you know what I do? I don't hang out around these type of people. I'm sure that I could do that in a city as big as NY (even though it might be more difficult to do so than in a Southern city) and the OP can avoid hanging out around these people in Dallas/Houston. I avoid Darwinist conventions and Marilyn Manson concerts; the OP can avoid Joel Olsteen and Dallas theological seminary. Your social circle impacts this sort of thing more than anything else.

jlb2957

Postby jlb2957 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:36 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I never get why people going to very large metro areas are worried about this kind of thing. When you live in a big area there are just too many people for there to be only one accepted political/religious viewpoint etc. I don't care if it's in Texas or in the South (as the OP has discovered from their time in Atlanta--hell even Athens). I personally don't mesh well with people who are die hard Atheists and feel that anyone who believes in Christianity a God etc. is thereby some sort of archaic ignorant hick--so you know what I do? I don't hang out around these type of people. I'm sure that I could do that in a city as big as NY (even though it might be more difficult to do so than in a Southern city) and the OP can avoid hanging out around these people in Dallas/Houston. I avoid Darwinist conventions and Marilyn Manson concerts; the OP can avoid Joel Olsteen and Dallas theological seminary. Your social circle impacts this sort of thing more than anything else.

+1

People from other states seem to be completely ignorant when it comes to Texas. All they know is the caricature they are spoon fed by the media and those who just like to make fun of Texans because we actually have a little state pride. I grew up in a suburb of Dallas with a population of 85,000. No one gave a rats a** what your political ideology was or whether you went to church on Sunday. Stop deluding yourself into thinking that you are so important that people care what you do, because we don't. The time anyone would care would be if you lived in a town with a population of a hundred.

So our governor made a statement that got everyone worked up at a TEA PARTY convention. WOW, can you believe that a republican governor knew just what to say to get a bunch of people who are against the Obama administration excited? Liberals did the same kind of sh** while Bush was in office. IT HAPPENS, GET OVER IT!

And Texas is BY FAR NOT the most conservative state in the Union.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141677/wyomi ... tates.aspx

Get over yourselves liberals, and do some independent research before making outrageous claims.

PS: State pride is nothing to mock people about. As I recall, when our country was founded, our founding fathers were split between those those who identified more with a national identity and those who identified themselves with their state.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm

jlb2957 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I never get why people going to very large metro areas are worried about this kind of thing. When you live in a big area there are just too many people for there to be only one accepted political/religious viewpoint etc. I don't care if it's in Texas or in the South (as the OP has discovered from their time in Atlanta--hell even Athens). I personally don't mesh well with people who are die hard Atheists and feel that anyone who believes in Christianity a God etc. is thereby some sort of archaic ignorant hick--so you know what I do? I don't hang out around these type of people. I'm sure that I could do that in a city as big as NY (even though it might be more difficult to do so than in a Southern city) and the OP can avoid hanging out around these people in Dallas/Houston. I avoid Darwinist conventions and Marilyn Manson concerts; the OP can avoid Joel Olsteen and Dallas theological seminary. Your social circle impacts this sort of thing more than anything else.

+1

People from other states seem to be completely ignorant when it comes to Texas. All they know is the caricature they are spoon fed by the media and those who just like to make fun of Texans because we actually have a little state pride. I grew up in a suburb of Dallas with a population of 85,000. No one gave a rats a** what your political ideology was or whether you went to church on Sunday. Stop deluding yourself into thinking that you are so important that people care what you do, because we don't. The time anyone would care would be if you lived in a town with a population of a hundred.

So our governor made a statement that got everyone worked up at a TEA PARTY convention. WOW, can you believe that a republican governor knew just what to say to get a bunch of people who are against the Obama administration excited? Liberals did the same kind of sh** while Bush was in office. IT HAPPENS, GET OVER IT!

Get over yourselves liberals, and do some independent research before making outrageous claims.

PS: State pride is nothing to mock people about. As I recall, when our country was founded, our founding fathers were split between those those who identified more with a national identity and those who identified themselves with their state.

:lol:

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 pm

jlb2957 wrote:

Ya know, the ranting against liberals doesn't really do much to fight the stereotype you're talking about. There are lots of liberals that are proud Texans, and lots of conservatives elsewhere in the country with misguided perceptions about our fair state.

achilles

Postby achilles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm

There's no escaping Joel Osteen in Houston! He took over the Compaq center and slapped his name on there, 20 feet wide haha. I see it almost every day

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
Pricer wrote:Ha turns out this thread was pointless. Just got WLed at Texas, where I have the median GPA and 75% LSAT. My number one choice struck me down.

ANTI-TEXAS RANT

ANTI-TEXAS RANT

TEXAS IS THE BEST STATE EVER. BBQ BRISKET IS NOT THE BEST BBQ SO WHOEVER TOLD YOU THAT MUST BE A 1st/2nd GENERATION TEXAN.

/nuff said.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 pm

achilles wrote:

There's no escaping Joel Osteen in Houston! He took over the Compaq center and slapped his name on there, 20 feet wide haha. I see it almost every day

Same here. And I've been traffic-directed around it by their volunteer traffic people. God, that place is weird.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:18 pm

upfish wrote:
achilles wrote:

Same here. And I've been traffic-directed around it by their volunteer traffic people. God, that place is weird.

"Jesus wants you to have a new house! Find out how in my new book!"

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Ty Webb wrote:I saw it on like my 6th day ever living in Texas. We were served "barbecue" at our orientation. It was really slices of meat with a bland sauce on top. I was informed that brisket was, in fact, the best kind of BBQ.

Now I come from South Carolina, a state that's divided between mustard, vinegar, and ketchup based BBQ (pulled pork) depending upon where you go. I live not far from Lexington, NC, where they host one of the largest BBQ festivals in the world. I've had the BBQ nachos in Memphis at their ballpark. I've seen a lot of BBQ. This was cut meat with bland sauce. It was fine in its own way, but it in no way deserved a special distinction. Yet it got one.

now, now, now...what I have tended to see served in settings like you describe is often not a 'properly prepared' brisket. There is a BIG difference in some oven-baked (or even oven-finished) brisket compared to one that is slow smoked in an offset using mesquite...and that has a visible smoke ring...and that was prepared with a good rub. Upon completion, it will have the right combination of a bark and the tender juiciness that remains from the smoking process.

I hold very strongly to the position that BBQ sauce serves one purpose and one purpose only...as an aid to cover up BAD 'cue. GOOD 'cue needs no sauce...

Not to say that pork does not have its place, but a good beef brisket tends to rule the day in this State...

jlb2957

Postby jlb2957 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Marionberry wrote:Ya know, the ranting against liberals doesn't really do much to fight the stereotype you're talking about. There are lots of liberals that are proud Texans, and lots of conservatives elsewhere in the country with misguided perceptions about our fair state.

My rant was towards those who seem to think that Texas is somehow a backwoods, bible thumping place where your neighbors will lynch you if you don't go to church on Sunday...those people are generally not conservatives.

I am not singling out the ideologies of liberals and debating with them, I am simply saying that if you move down here we really could care less what you do. We have better things to worry about that when you go or don't go to church.

Hence my line, "get over yourself," because you aren't that important.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 am

jlb2957 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Ya know, the ranting against liberals doesn't really do much to fight the stereotype you're talking about. There are lots of liberals that are proud Texans, and lots of conservatives elsewhere in the country with misguided perceptions about our fair state.

My rant was towards those who seem to think that Texas is somehow a backwoods, bible thumping place where your neighbors will lynch you if you don't go to church on Sunday...those people are generally not conservatives.

I am not singling out the ideologies of liberals and debating with them, I am simply saying that if you move down here we really could care less what you do. We have better things to worry about that when you go or don't go to church.

This is not credited in the rural areas or the suburbs of DFW, in my experience.

But everywhere else it largely is, irritating defensiveness aside. :roll:

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 am

too old for this sh* wrote:now, now, now...what I have tended to see served in settings like you describe is often not a 'properly prepared' brisket. There is a BIG difference in some oven-baked (or even oven-finished) brisket compared to one that is slow smoked in an offset using mesquite...and that has a visible smoke ring...and that was prepared with a good rub. Upon completion, it will have the right combination of a bark and the tender juiciness that remains from the smoking process.

I hold very strongly to the position that BBQ sauce serves one purpose and one purpose only...as an aid to cover up BAD 'cue. GOOD 'cue needs no sauce...

Not to say that pork does not have its place, but a good beef brisket tends to rule the day in this State...

The brisket here can be great, but the sauces/marinades are absolutely BLAND, and I think that's what he was addressing. Oklahoma BBQ runs more along the sweet and tangy route, which I've heard is more like the Carolinas style, and I think it's like 10x better. I don't understand the marinara/ketchup as BBQ sauce thing they do here, and it's the only thing I feel sad about re: TX vs. OK.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am

upfish wrote:
jlb2957 wrote:

This is not credited in the rural areas or the suburbs of DFW, in my experience.

But everywhere else it largely is, irritating defensiveness aside. :roll:

Spent my entire life in the Dallas suburbs, you must be from Plano or something. Most suburbs - Garland, Richardson, Mesquite, Rockwall, Desoto, Oakcliff, heck even suburbs north of Plano - don't have people who care whether or not you go to church. Sure, there are a lot of people who go to church (me being one of them), but this is no Wesboro Baptist Church area.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 am

upfish wrote:
too old for this sh* wrote:now, now, now...what I have tended to see served in settings like you describe is often not a 'properly prepared' brisket. There is a BIG difference in some oven-baked (or even oven-finished) brisket compared to one that is slow smoked in an offset using mesquite...and that has a visible smoke ring...and that was prepared with a good rub. Upon completion, it will have the right combination of a bark and the tender juiciness that remains from the smoking process.

The brisket here can be great, but the sauces/marinades are absolutely BLAND, and I think that's what he was addressing. Oklahoma BBQ runs more along the sweet and tangy route, which I've heard is more like the Carolinas style, and I think it's like 10x better. I don't understand the marinara/ketchup as BBQ sauce thing they do here, and it's the only thing I feel sad about re: TX vs. OK.

The last time I used sauce on 'cue was when I was in KC for the Big12 tournament last year. I don't use sauce on the stuff I smoke at the house and do not even put any out on the table. And the places I get 'cue from do it in a manner that does not need sauce to cover up the fact that the 'cue sucks.

I will agree that MOST sauces DO suck. And that includes the ones offered out of state that get used to cover up bad product...

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 am

I love that this is a discussion that happens all the time. Texas is better than your state. We're conservative because we like jobs and think personal responsibility is important. If you're going to complain about finding your liberal bubble, don't move here. There are more opportunities for you to find a group of confused idealists in other states.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 am

Mce252 wrote:I love that this is a discussion that happens all the time. Texas is better than your state. We're conservative because we like jobs and think personal responsibility is important. If you're going to complain about finding your liberal bubble, don't move here. There are more opportunities for you to find a group of confused idealists in other states.

Speak for yourself, please. In every metro area in Texas you will find people from every point on the political/cultural spectrum, and that's a good thing. Keep in mind, too, that up until about 15 years ago Texas was a blue state.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Dallas sucks if you factor in the kind of professionals you will be working with coming out of law school. You will be following the money and the people with money in Dallas are obnoxious and very conservative. Most of them are former SMU students and if you ever had a conversation with SMU students....... "wanna do some cocaine" "All those Arabs in Pakistan" "I'm tired of hearing about the native americans having had a hard time" "wanna take my lsat for me i'll pay you 5 thousand dollars, my dad is writing my PS so I think I will get into a great school" "I spent a week in Spain so I have a global perspective" these are all quotes from the 3 SMU students I know.

Houston/Austin are good.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Mce252 wrote:I love that this is a discussion that happens all the time. Texas is better than your state. We're conservative because we like jobs and think personal responsibility is important. If you're going to complain about finding your liberal bubble, don't move here. There are more opportunities for you to find a group of confused idealists in other states.

Speak for yourself, please. In every metro area in Texas you will find people from every point on the political/cultural spectrum, and that's a good thing. Keep in mind, too, that up until about 15 years ago Texas was a blue state.

He is talking about liberal and conservative.... also Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were Republicans :roll:

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 pm

sojasoph wrote:
He is talking about liberal and conservative.... also Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were Republicans :roll:

I'm pretty sure that 20 years ago the political ideology of the democratic party was much the same as it is today. The point I was trying to make is that people like to act like being a dyed in the wool republican is an inherent part of the Texan identity, when it's only fairly recently become the dominant political perspective.
Last edited by Marionberry on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Spent my entire life in the Dallas suburbs, you must be from Plano or something. Most suburbs - Garland, Richardson, Mesquite, Rockwall, Desoto, Oakcliff, heck even suburbs north of Plano - don't have people who care whether or not you go to church. Sure, there are a lot of people who go to church (me being one of them), but this is no Wesboro Baptist Church area.

Grapevine, actually, with some Richardson thrown in. It's not a Westboro atmosphere, but it is a strong disapproval of your non-Christianity/cussing/democratic voting pattern. It's the friendly version where you aren't conforming and thus people are like "please stay away from my kids."

I'm not saying it's like they burn a cross on your lawn; it's just not a welcoming atmosphere.

Needlessly combative.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

sojasoph wrote:Dallas sucks if you factor in the kind of professionals you will be working with coming out of law school. You will be following the money and the people with money in Dallas are obnoxious and very conservative. Most of them are former SMU students and if you ever had a conversation with SMU students....... "wanna do some cocaine" "All those Arabs in Pakistan" "I'm tired of hearing about the native americans having had a hard time" "wanna take my lsat for me i'll pay you 5 thousand dollars, my dad is writing my PS so I think I will get into a great school" "I spent a week in Spain so I have a global perspective" these are all quotes from the 3 SMU students I know.

Houston/Austin are good.

This is the Dallas I am used to as well! Hahaha

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Marionberry wrote:
sojasoph wrote:

I'm pretty sure that 20 years ago the political ideology of the democratic party was much the same as it is today.

23 years ago Rick Perry was Al Gore's Texas campaign manager. Don't know what that's worth, but most of the Texas Republicans of today were Democrats in the 80s.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”