Time for me to narrow things down (BU/UF/UMN)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

BU ($175k COA)
41%
UF ($75k COA)
16%
W&M ($115k COA)
14%
Minnesota ($100k COA)
22%
Emory (~$140k COA)
3%
Fordham (~$215k COA)
5%

Total votes: 37

rman1201

Time for me to narrow things down (BU/UF/UMN)

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

I haven't been accepted to Emory/Fordham yet, but those options are based on LSN data for scholarship/admissions purposes.

I'm planning to retake in June (scored 167 in November), however I'm still planning to follow through with this admissions cycle as if I'm not retaking as insurance in case I score lower/same.

Geographic Preference:
A big city. I don't really care where, I've lived in Florida all my life and I really want to get out. It's painful to do so with UF being such an attractive option due to the decent in-state placement and low cost, however I really don't want to be chained down to FL (though it wouldn't be the end of the world since all my friends/family are here). I love NYC, that's where I'd really like to eventually end up, but Boston seems great as well. I've never been to Minneapolis/St. Paul, but I don't think I would mind living there either assuming I get used to the cold.

Career Aspirations:
In this order -
Biglaw
Government
PI
Midlaw
Business/non-jd required
Small Law

Just thought I'd get TLS' take on my options before the massive slew of "Where should I go" threads start coming in around March. Thanks!

rman1201

Re: Time for me to narrow things down (BU/UF/UMN)

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Shameless bump

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I was going to take UF until I saw your career goals. The top 3 or 4 are going to be tough from any of those schools, but BU likely gives you the best options. At sticker thats scary, but if you retake and dont do better and are unwilling to curb your interests in what you wanna do it kinda forces your hand.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I was going to take UF until I saw your career goals. The top 3 or 4 are going to be tough from any of those schools, but BU likely gives you the best options. At sticker thats scary, but if you retake and dont do better and are unwilling to curb your interests in what you wanna do it kinda forces your hand.

My goals are semi-flexible, the main thing is I just don't want to end up in s-law (dui, family, foreclosure/bankruptcy mill) or unemployed in bumf*** USA.

I'm not very debt averse if it helps - so I am leaning towards BU/Fordham. I have no problems renting forever, especially if I do end up somewhere like NYC.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:11 pm

In that case I think BU is the right option here. Places well in both NYC and Boston, less debt (not sure if it matters when its that high up at that point) than Fordham and gives you more options in terms of location than Fordham. Fordham places better in NYC, but doesn't really place at all in Boston but BU places in both.

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Are you positive you won't have aid at BU with your numbers?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:21 pm

zonto wrote:Are you positive you won't have aid at BU with your numbers?

I guess its possible, I just havent received anything with my admit pack. I'm still going to try for need-based if I can manage to get my mom to do her taxes before the deadline.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 am

First, you've already identified your best three options: UMN, BU, and UF. The other three come all come at a higher cost than a better option.

Second, of the three options left standing, UF is the cheapest, but by only ~$8k per year. I'd say the prospects coming out of UMN more than make up for the $8k/year.

That leaves UMN and BU. BU definitely has the biglaw edge, but $75k better? I don't know. I would suggest visiting both and making a personal decision.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 am

I'm partial to w&m but bu is prob your best option for what you want to do... Still... 175 is a lot of cash

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 am

showNprove wrote:First, you've already identified your best three options: UMN, BU, and UF. The other three come all come at a higher cost than a better option.

Second, of the three options left standing, UF is the cheapest, but by only ~$8k per year. I'd say the prospects coming out of UMN more than make up for the $8k/year.

That leaves UMN and BU. BU definitely has the biglaw edge, but $75k better? I don't know. I would suggest visiting both and making a personal decision.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do, planning to head up north over the next few weeks.

I'm also still waiting on Cornell, if I manage to get in then we have a pretty clear winner, but I'm not banking on an acceptance.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

I agree with all the posters saying UMN at 75k less is a great option. You can graduate with less debt from a higher ranked school, etc. Some good points above.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:51 pm

BU - biggest market, city life, total change to FL.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

^ Saturated market with BC and Harvard, not to mention non-Boston T14 students, taking a significant portion of the jobs. UMN is the best in its market, even if it is a slightly smaller market.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Informative wrote:^ Saturated market with BC and Harvard, not to mention non-Boston T14 students, taking a significant portion of the jobs. UMN is the best in its market, even if it is a slightly smaller market.

Boston really isn't known to be that saturated. NYC/Chi/DC/LA are where the majority of T14 (Harvard included) seem to go.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

^Fail. Are you new here?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Informative wrote:^Fail. Are you new here?

what are you talking about?
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/careers/ocs/prospective-students/employment-statistics/about-our-students.html

Boston is saturated with Harvard grads the same way New Haven is saturated with Yale grads.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”