UF vs. FSU for Government Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

UF vs. FSU for Government

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay, I know that FSU is located in the capital and thus it would seem as if there is an advantage in going to FSU over UF if one wanted to work for the government, but I was wondering if there was any proof of this opinion or if it is just an assumption that we have made (much like saying UF is just a better school without actually thinking about it).

gov

Bronze

Re: UF vs. FSU for Government

Post by gov » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm

A. UF Law graduates are employed in a variety of fields. The current breakdown of employment categories for the Class of 2009 within six to nine months after graduation is as follows:

* Law Firms (51%)
* Government (20%)
* Judicial Clerkships (5%)
* Academia/Public Interest (16%)
* Business/Industry (8%)

--LinkRemoved--

From FSU:http://www.law.fsu.edu/placement/docume ... lights.pdf
32% Gov/PI

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm

What kind of govt.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 pm

UF is better. *thinks about it* UF is still better.

...sorry, i couldn't resist! the concept has been ingrained in me since birth. :oops:

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Depends on the kind of gov't work I guess. If you'd like to do some higher up gov't work in the state capital, I think the obvious choice is to go to FSU. You can do some cool work in the state senate, and obviously make some very serious contacts there (I interned there during UG, but law students get much more interesting work than I ever did). Obviously plenty of other state gov't offices there to work out of, not to mention its a 5 minute walk from the fsu law library/building (which I admit is nothing special) to the capitol/supreme court.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Top14Hope

Bronze

Post by Top14Hope » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Gov ----> FSU > UF

fiupike24

New

Post by fiupike24 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:40 am

What position in government would you be seeking? I spoke today to an admissions officer from FSU and the whole conversation was about how CHEAP it was and how they basically OWN the GOV'T.

I thought I wanted to do tax law since I am majoring in accounting. But I am also majoring in poli sci and this semester I have come to the realization that I want to do politics or some form of government career, either state or fed. (dream congress).

I am currently from Miami (fiu undergrad) however, I am desperate to leave Miami. I thought I wanted UF, however, I spoke to an admissions officer from FSU today and I am now undecided between the two =/

I agree that UF is a "better school" but at the end of the day all that matters is what connections you make while you finish your law studies.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Hmmm... Florida's state government is located in Tallahassee.... Florida State Law is located in Tallahassee...

F Rick Scott though. I cannot believe the state of FL elected this guy and am so glad I probably will be taking my talents somewhere else next season, as Florida is about to turn into a giant trash dump.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Sandro wrote:Hmmm... Florida's state government is located in Tallahassee.... Florida State Law is located in Tallahassee...

F Rick Scott though. I cannot believe the state of FL elected this guy and am so glad I probably will be taking my talents somewhere else next season, as Florida is about to turn into a giant trash dump.
The legal market is already a giant trash dump.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:11 pm

rad law wrote:
Sandro wrote:Hmmm... Florida's state government is located in Tallahassee.... Florida State Law is located in Tallahassee...

The legal market is already a giant trash dump.
Wow haven't heard that one from you in a while.... :shock:

And with Rick Scott gutting education FL kids will be even dumber than their current bottom of the edu ranks, meaning the large majority of in state kids who end up at FSU/UF will be even dumber and the schools will slide into TTTTT

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:58 pm

I would really like to go into criminal law (state attorney's office perhaps?) although to be honest, I'd also like to get into politics at some point to see if I can help improve the education system instead of screw it up. I'm thinking my ultimate choice will depend on the contacts I make while I'm in law school. My problem lies in what types of contacts I should be making and where I should go to school to get a foot in the door so to speak. I know a LOT of judges and state attorneys are UF alums, but politically, I would assume FSU would be better. thoughts?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:05 pm

And with Rick Scott gutting education FL kids will be even dumber than their current bottom of the edu ranks, meaning the large majority of in state kids who end up at FSU/UF will be even dumber and the schools will slide into TTTTT
That's not necessarily true. There are some REALLY good schools in Florida (I'm talking top in the country). UF and FSU can be picky when it comes to accepting bright students because of the dirt cheap tuition (even with the raise), and the incentive that bright futures gives to those of us that can't afford Ivy League. I don't think Rick Scott will be in office long enough to do serious damage. <---- That is me hoping/PRAYING that this is the case.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I would really like to go into criminal law (state attorney's office perhaps?) although to be honest, I'd also like to get into politics at some point to see if I can help improve the education system instead of screw it up. I'm thinking my ultimate choice will depend on the contacts I make while I'm in law school. My problem lies in what types of contacts I should be making and where I should go to school to get a foot in the door so to speak. I know a LOT of judges and state attorneys are UF alums, but politically, I would assume FSU would be better. thoughts?
SAs offices used to hire people who couldn't get firm jobs, but now they are ALL competitive due to hiring freezers, de facto and de jure. It's all about networking with those positions and showing you're committed. Can't speak to the politics part really.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I would really like to go into criminal law (state attorney's office perhaps?) although to be honest, I'd also like to get into politics at some point to see if I can help improve the education system instead of screw it up. I'm thinking my ultimate choice will depend on the contacts I make while I'm in law school. My problem lies in what types of contacts I should be making and where I should go to school to get a foot in the door so to speak. I know a LOT of judges and state attorneys are UF alums, but politically, I would assume FSU would be better. thoughts?
I interned at the FL House of Reps. Once you get in, its easy to make contacts. There are also a few fellowship programs that they hand out working in key departments. FSU is a more of a lock in terms of networking and really being able to be in people's faces.

Though UF is considered the better school, I think FSU makes up in terms of location and connectivity. FWIW, I know afew FSU alums who are judges.

It's the capital, but a small city "network wise". Do yourself a favor and go ahead and plug yourself in if STATE GOV'T work is what you want.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
That's not necessarily true. There are some REALLY good schools in Florida (I'm talking top in the country). UF and FSU can be picky when it comes to accepting bright students because of the dirt cheap tuition (even with the raise), and the incentive that bright futures gives to those of us that can't afford Ivy League. I don't think Rick Scott will be in office long enough to do serious damage. <---- That is me hoping/PRAYING that this is the case.
I was more referring to 10% cut in education = dumber HS kids which eventually will filter into UF/FSU. Not saying FSU/UF are shitty schools, they arent.

I had the opportunity to attend the best school in Florida and one of the tops in the nation. I don't think its a coincidence I scored in the 94th percentile on ACT and the 95th on LSAT. Attending a relatively crappy public HS for my last 2 years and seeing a massive drop off in education level I'm not so sure that happens if I went to the same public schools that the majority of FL kids go to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”