Chicago-Kent v. Loyola (Chicago)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Philosopher1

Chicago-Kent v. Loyola (Chicago)

Postby Philosopher1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Taking out the scholarship factor, which of these two schools is better to attend and why? This can be from a trial advocacy perspective (not IP law, in which case you'd go to Kent ... or Public service, in which case you'd go to Loyola). Thank you!

jelly

Re: Chicago-Kent v. Loyola (Chicago)

Postby jelly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 am

Trial Advocacy is really strong at Kent. They were the 2009 National Moot Court Competition champions, the 2008 National Moot Court Competition Champions as well as 2008 National Trial Competition Champions (making Kent the first school to win both competitions in the same year) and the 2007 National Trial Competition Champions. They are currently ranked 7th in the country for Trial Advocacy and were previously ranked 4th in the country for Trial Advocacy by US News. Kent's legal writing program is also very strong which is also good training for Trial Advocacy. So, definitely Kent from a trial advocacy perspective.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you jelly. I'm excited to most likely attend Kent or Loyola in the fall, unless a reach occurs near the end of the cycle. Any other opinions? I appreciate the input.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I know this has been done in the past ... but let's hear some more up to date opinions on the best of these 2 to choose.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:09 pm

At sticker, neither.

Otherwise, its really a toss up in the Chicago market. Both LUC and Kent grads are really struggling right now. I honestly don't think there is an ounce of difference between the two schools in terms of placement in Chicago, though the old NLJ stats report Kent placing a bit better.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm

People on this board seem to be too afraid of paying back loans. One thinks of the overall $$ and panics. If you're driven and skilled, you'll most likely be fine. If one feels his or her life is sustainable enough to not get that law degree, then stay where you're at.

Payments can be spread out over 30 years ... not that stressful per month, even if one goes to a place sticker. And, of course, if you start to become successful, you'll pay that stuff off faster. It's not time to be afraid. There are horror stories, just like with anything, but, from what I can tell, it's definitely a risk worth taking.

From the research I'm doing, it seems as if Loyola is starting to narrowly pass up Kent in terms of selectivity, and it's also known to be more person-friendly and helpful in terms of career services. It's in a nicer part of town, and Loyola would be a more well known name.

Though, in the city of Chicago, it seems as if Chicago-Kent generally gets the better reputation when it comes to readiness (Kent's 3-year writing program, the impressive faculty in quantity and quality); trial advocacy is well known, as well. Still ... it's a toss up for me, and we'll see what happens. Let's hear from some more folks!

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Philosopher1 wrote:People on this board seem to be too afraid of paying back loans. One thinks of the overall $$ and panics. If you're driven and skilled, you'll most likely be fine. If one feels his or her life is sustainable enough to not get that law degree, then stay where you're at.

Payments can be spread out over 30 years ... not that stressful per month, even if one goes to a place sticker. And, of course, if you start to become successful, you'll pay that stuff off faster. It's not time to be afraid. There are horror stories, just like with anything, but, from what I can tell, it's definitely a risk worth taking.

Much of this is dreadfully wrong. Low paying job + ($150k+ in loans x interest) can quite easily lead to your interest growing by more than your ability to pay back the loans. This is also assuming you get a job. Definitely not impossible, but drive and skill, while helpful, often amount to little.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Philosopher1 wrote:People on this board seem to be too afraid of paying back loans. One thinks of the overall $$ and panics. If you're driven and skilled, you'll most likely be fine. If one feels his or her life is sustainable enough to not get that law degree, then stay where you're at.

From the research I'm doing, it seems as if Loyola is starting to narrowly pass up Kent in terms of selectivity, and it's also known to be more person-friendly and helpful in terms of career services. It's in a nicer part of town, and Loyola would be a more well known name.

Though, in the city of Chicago, it seems as if Chicago-Kent generally gets the better reputation when it comes to readiness (Kent's 3-year writing program, the impressive faculty in quantity and quality); trial advocacy is well known, as well. Still ... it's a toss up for me, and we'll see what happens. Let's hear from some more folks!

Yeah but paying back the loans in a timely manner isn't what everyone is worried about. It's finding a job.

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:20 pm

The "horror stories" have unfortunatley become the reality, norm, and expectation for the average Kent/Loyola grad. Read and review some other posts. If you really want the gamble of law school from these schools and want to fight from the bottom (the saturadted Chicago market and regionality of the degree) then fight on. But if you want real advise then think long and hard about exactly what 200K in debt means and what little you will likely get out of the debt--a few will get jobs and succeed--most will be drowned in debt and lost in hope, regretting a poor decision they made becasue they didnt know what else to do.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Spoken like a true 0L. Can't wait till people like this get to their T2 and realize that pretty much everything you read about on TLS was dead on.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am

(edit)
Last edited by Philosopher1 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape

Postby Snape » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Philosopher1 wrote:I will go to my T2, and we'll see if my life is successful and whether going 150K in the hole was worth it. (It's been figured out that I can take out 50k p/yr and pay in live time anything that goes over. Maybe.) Stay tuned!

First I gotta decide between Kent and Loyola (maybe Miami ...) or a few Tier I reaches I'm waiting on ... stay tuned :)

Any other thoughts on being responsible and making monthly payments -- and how to decide between Kent and Loyola haha

You should separate these two thoughts--being responsible and attending one of these schools at that price is simply not possible; however, trying to figure out how to use all of your income and economic harship deferments for your loans is possible and its good you are thinking ahead to how you will pay back all of those loans without a decent job....good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”