Underrated T2 Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Concept

New

Underrated T2 Schools

Post by Concept » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 am

What are some the most underrated schools ranked #50-#100? Which T2 schools deserve to be in the T1?

Interested in seeing the schools this thread brings up.

Lokomani

New

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Post by Lokomani » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 pm

It depends on where you want to work. All schools in T2 are regional in placement, and most are in markets with other, higher-ranked law schools. Thus, if you don't want to work in a given area after graduation, it's hard to call a given school underrated.

Also, No T2 schools deserve to be T1, because it's an arbitrary bullshit assignment by USNWR. School quality can't be accurately measured by a metric which takes into account LSAT/GPA more heavily than any meaningful qualities. Don't you find it odd that a majority of the rankings are 3-6 way ties between schools?

profizzle

Bronze

Post by profizzle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 pm

GULC

Concept

New

Post by Concept » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Lokomani wrote:It depends on where you want to work. All schools in T2 are regional in placement, and most are in markets with other, higher-ranked law schools. Thus, if you don't want to work in a given area after graduation, it's hard to call a given school underrated.

Also, No T2 schools deserve to be T1, because it's an arbitrary bullshit assignment by USNWR. School quality can't be accurately measured by a metric which takes into account LSAT/GPA more heavily than any meaningful qualities. Don't you find it odd that a majority of the rankings are 3-6 way ties between schools?
Good points. To clarify the opening post then:

Which schools have a bit more than just a regional reach? Which schools are more similar to higher ranks schools in their ability to stretch past their local markets? Which school surpasses the arbitrary rankings of USNWR and actually deserves more recognition for being a better program than it is given credit for?

RFBUG

New

Post by RFBUG » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:06 pm

profizzle wrote:GULC
This is a totally pointless post. GULC is a tier 1 school and T14, and regarded as one of the best schools in the US... Totally misplaced

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:07 pm

i lol'd.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 pm

RFBUG wrote:
This is a totally pointless post. GULC is a tier 1 school and T14, and regarded as one of the best schools in the US... Totally misplaced
Bro you're bad at jokes.

RFBUG

New

Post by RFBUG » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 pm

rad law wrote:
RFBUG wrote:
Bro you're bad at jokes.

Lols sorry

bit itchy today :D

nor hard feelings :D

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Concept wrote: Which schools have a bit more than just a regional reach? Which schools are more similar to higher ranks schools in their ability to stretch past their local markets? Which school surpasses the arbitrary rankings of USNWR and actually deserves more recognition for being a better program than it is given credit for?
How mobile your degree is is entirely a function of 1) your school's prestige and name-brand recognition, 2) your connections to the area you want to be in, and 3) your grades. So it's not as simple as you make it out to be. But T2 schools are generally low on #2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Concept

New

Post by Concept » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:36 pm

:lol:

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 pm

lol

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 pm

and regarded as one of the best schools in the US
Well...obviously nobody posts "Harvard" in this thread because the joke would have died. But GULC? I LOL'd.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Concept wrote:
Lokomani wrote:It depends on where you want to work. All schools in T2 are regional in placement, and most are in markets with other, higher-ranked law schools. Thus, if you don't want to work in a given area after graduation, it's hard to call a given school underrated.

Good points. To clarify the opening post then:

Which schools have a bit more than just a regional reach? Which schools are more similar to higher ranks schools in their ability to stretch past their local markets? Which school surpasses the arbitrary rankings of USNWR and actually deserves more recognition for being a better program than it is given credit for?
None, zero. Many T1s are barely hanging on to their "regional" status.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm

There are no schools ranked 51-100 that deserve to be in the top 50, because there are still 50+ schools better than them.

Also, LOL:

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:22 pm

dextermorgan wrote:There are no schools ranked 51-100 that deserve to be in the top 50, because there are still 50+ schools better than them.

Also, LOL:
Not sure if that's a fair assessment. You're telling me if I want to practice in NYC, based purely on rankings, Baylor would be a better choice than Rutgers or Villanova?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

A better question is what schools over-perform in an area you are interested in working.

Example: SMU is probably the second best law school in Texas and does pretty well in Dallas (and it's the only law school in dallas and only one of two in the DFW area). It also helps that Texas is an insular market. American, on the other hand, is in D.C. and is trying to compete with GULC and GW, plus all the other nearby law schools, plus all the graduates from T14 law schools looking to work in D.C. Both are ranked the same, but I think it's going to be easier getting a job from SMU than American.

Go to a school that is located where you want to work.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 pm

JazzOne wrote:
lol
says the guy at TTexas...

yea, I'm way more TTT than that even, but I got a thing for GULC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:50 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:There are no schools ranked 51-100 that deserve to be in the top 50, because there are still 50+ schools better than them.

Also, LOL:
Not sure if that's a fair assessment. You're telling me if I want to practice in NYC, based purely on rankings, Baylor would be a better choice than Rutgers or Villanova?
He said that there are 50+ schools better than them, not that there are 50+ smarter choices.

And Rutgers or Villanova for NY is a piss-poor decision anyway.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Concept wrote:Good points. To clarify the opening post then:

None, none, and none. Even most T1 schools are regional.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
lol

I never dog on GULC, and I didn't make the joke. It's only funny to me because GULC lovers have a chip on their shoulder. I really couldn't care less how UT is perceived because I have a job.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 pm

The "where you want to work" thing gets overplayed on here. Fordham and Gonzaga are both regional schools but the expected outcome from Fordham is probably alot better than from Gonzaga.

To answer OP's question, Houston places respectably for it's rank.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:The "where you want to work" thing gets overplayed on here. Fordham and Gonzaga are both regional schools but the expected outcome from Fordham is probably alot better than from Gonzaga.

To answer OP's question, Houston places respectably for it's rank.

That's a really shitty way to make the point you were attempting to make. If you want to work in Washington, you pick UW over Ohio State, Fordham, Iowa, etc... If you get scholarship money and you want to work in Washington, you pick Gonzaga over Oklahoma, St. John's, PSU, Brooklyn, etc...

Not sure how the expected employment outcome plays into it at all. Fordham is unlikely to get you a job in Washington. If you don't want to work in New York, don't go to Fordham.

And if you end up with Fordham and Gonzaga as your only choices, you should be shot for not applying wisely.

Also, don't get all angry and try to e-fight me. The example you chose wasn't a good one to make the point you attempted to make. It's not that big a deal.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:46 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
lol

I never dog on GULC, and I didn't make the joke. It's only funny to me because GULC lovers have a chip on their shoulder. I really couldn't care less how UT is perceived because I have a job.

that's cool man.. congrats on the job. i actually like Texas and applied there so not trying to pick on you particularly or Texas.. it does seem GULC gets picked on a lot on TLS (i suppose because it is bottom of T14/ large class sizes/ tough D.C. market etc) so I wonder if any perceived chip on the shoulder is at least partly due to a lot of trash talk against GULC that goes on.. but seriously I'm sure I'm best off just to ignore it mostly or entirely..

Truth is I chuckled myself when I saw GULC entered... I got a little irritated after a ton of people started saying 'lol' and +1- stuff like that though. I've got a family legacy at GTTown and hope to maybe be in a position to transfer there (among other schools that could hopefully be targets) so I guess if I have any chip that's where it comes from. Peace

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:55 am

Lawquacious wrote:that's cool man.. congrats on the job. i actually like Texas and applied there so not trying to pick on you particularly or Texas.. it does seem GULC gets picked on a lot on TLS (i suppose because it is bottom of T14/ large class sizes/ tough D.C. market etc) so I wonder if any perceived chip on the shoulder is at least partly due to a lot of trash talk against GULC that goes on.. but seriously I'm sure I'm best off just to ignore it mostly or entirely..

Truth is I chuckled myself when I saw GULC entered... I got a little irritated after a ton of people started saying 'lol' and +1- stuff like that though. I've got a family legacy at GTTown and hope to maybe be in a position to transfer there (among other schools that could hopefully be targets) so I guess if I have any chip that's where it comes from. Peace
You're probably right. However, I think the GULC hate stems from the whole "T14" moniker, which has become less and less meaningful in recent years. It's not really GULC's fault, but I feel like there isn't a big difference between GULC and Vandy in terms of quality and placement. So, it does bother me a little bit that GULC gets a prestige bonus simply because of an historical oddity (T14).

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 am

JazzOne wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:that's cool man.. congrats on the job. i actually like Texas and applied there so not trying to pick on you particularly or Texas.. it does seem GULC gets picked on a lot on TLS (i suppose because it is bottom of T14/ large class sizes/ tough D.C. market etc) so I wonder if any perceived chip on the shoulder is at least partly due to a lot of trash talk against GULC that goes on.. but seriously I'm sure I'm best off just to ignore it mostly or entirely..

You're probably right. However, I think the GULC hate stems from the whole "T14" moniker, which has become less and less meaningful in recent years. It's not really GULC's fault, but I feel like there isn't a big difference between GULC and Vandy in terms of quality and placement. So, it does bother me a little bit that GULC gets a prestige bonus simply because of an historical oddity (T14).

yea I can understand that. I think it will probably be interesting over the years to see how much rankings shift (like 20 years down the road etc).. In some ways I think it def is kind of arbitrary. Hell, there may be a totally different approach to rankings and determining hierarchy, though I suppose reputation, prestige, intellectual competition (i.e. numbers) will continue to play some role. I imagine though that reputation might start playing less of a role and objective measures more of a role over time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”